Watters Unpopular ..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters Unpopular ..?

saint58 wrote:
saint66au wrote:Oh good grief..now people want to hang SW for sins of a previous administration

He said himself..from 2008-2010 we had virtually no young players come through. Thats the absolute 100% truth but is not the fault of anyone in the current Football Dept.

He came in, saw the problem and is trying to address it. FFS dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.
totaly agree RL has a lot to answer for he is not a coach who can rebuild he needs a ready made list and he saw the writing on the wall so the jumped ship and used contract as a excuse.(i did like ross)

SW came in changed the hole face of the club with more football people and coaches,which takes time to bear fruit.

I would even say give him a contact extension nother 2 years so he has time to move the group to where he wonts it.

Then reasses after that time.

Agree with both the quote and the response.

Lyon is a very good coach, but a parasite who has reaped the benefit of the hard work of the previous coaches both at St.Kilda and Freo.

The recruiting b/w 2008-2010 was less than ordinary and the focus was definately on the now not the future.

Well the future is the present and Watters needs time to revitalise the list.

He may well fail, but I will be sure that the list the next coach inherites wont be in the same shape Watters copped.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He is going to have to go about the awkward job of retiring players, not giving games to senior guys who maybe don't expect it, tell guys to do something entirely different than what they've always done.

Not going to go down well at times.

I could guess about a couple of younger players struggling to get a senior game under Scott, were I believe he may be giving a lesson in humility.

What we DO know is the players who have started to blossom under him. Dempster took his game to a whole new level and credits that to Scott, Geary, Armo, Stanley looking great in defence IMO, I don't get the Gilbert angst and think this new role is bringing out his best footy that I've seen in a long time...

If others are going backwards, like Teflon says, much to do with the age of the list
Great post SainterK, agree 100%

I would also like to know where a qld reporter come up with this info, or is it made up to add to his story

I love this club
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Middo wrote:Noticed today in our Sunday paper ( QLD ) an article about the Suns and how much they like Guy Mckenna and tacked on the end of it was a note about murmours of increasing dissent amongst players are getting louder about St.Kilda coach Scott Watters..? First time I've heard of any negative comments in the media about Watters. The article was by Andrew Hamilton who normally is pretty spot on with his info.
Anyone heard anything ..?
Andrew Hamilton is a complete twat. Lives up here in Brisbane and is reviled up here - you should have read the vitriol poured on him when he tried to break that story about McGrath's brother selling drugs to the Lions in their glory years - and has no real footy insight let alone connections or good mail on interstate clubs. Just trying to keep his name in discussions...

Hamilton played ressies at my old club (after I stopped) but from all accounts was a knob there as well...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
GSG
Club Player

spert wrote:Watters inherited an ageing unbalanced team, with little depth. If he is to turn this club around, he will have to step on toes and will make very unpopular moves. One of the most unpopular moves he will make, will be dropping some of the entrenched veterans who have played well for years, but didn't get us a flag in that time. The biggest challenge of all for St Kilda, will be for the president, board and members to fully support him in his coaching tenure...if Watters gets total support I think he will succeed, and those who don't like the hard decisions should walk.
+++1

busso mick
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He is going to have to go about the awkward job of retiring players, not giving games to senior guys who maybe don't expect it, tell guys to do something entirely different than what they've always done.

I could guess about a couple of younger players struggling to get a senior game under Scott, were I believe he may be giving a lesson in humility.

What we DO know is the players who have started to blossom under him. Dempster took his game to a whole new level and credits that to Scott, Geary, Armo, Stanley looking great in defence IMO, I don't get the Gilbert angst and think this new role is bringing out his best footy that I've seen in a long time...

If others are going backwards, like Teflon says, much to do with the age of the list
Excellent post SainterK. Just a quick look at who is improving under his tenure is evidence of his influence. Also we have a few blokes who are reaching their use-by date concurrently, which is unfortunate but apparent after only 2 rounds of footy. We are in a period of transition at the moment, but when the chips are down it is interesting to see who can rise to the challenge. There are plenty of opportunities arising for those who want to take it.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

If the players don't like it, there's the door...simple! The tail doesn't wag the dog!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Quixote
SS Life Member

I think this is close to the mark, good post SainterK.

What I would add:

* The players clearly play for him. He has their will
* Whether it's overall game-plan or match day tactics, something needs to change. I think Scott needs a very shrewd and hard-nosed assistant in the box with him, to help steer the ship when the chips start falling. If we are up and running, there will be no problems - but I haven't yet seen the ability from the Scott Watter's led box to change the course of what's happening on field. The boys will play all night for him, but if it's a close game or something else is needed - I don't have faith in that direction to come from above. I'm not seeing any ideas (bar failed ones IE Gilbert on Ablett) that are working. Just yet.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo