Efficiency the issue not effort

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Efficiency the issue not effort

BringBackMadDog wrote:
BigMart wrote:The last post is surely not serious.

Should we be happy with that loss, because we are proud of winning games in the last decade... A mindset of a club very accepting of its performance
Who the hell said I was happy with the loss. I hate losing, but what I hate more is crap overreative bulls***. It's one frigging game in a very long season and excuse me if I prefer to support my club rather than stick the boots in when we hit troubled times.
No need to apologise BBMD. Your view was well expressed and is supported by many on here.

GO SAINTS!!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you saying StK members are as demanding as Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton when it comes to winning?!

All of those clubs have been down.... And it's always been assumed, it's just a matter of time before they return to glory... Their supporters, club officials and players expect success in that guernsey.... And won't wait long when it's not delivered..

StK desires success.... Different to demanding it....

We don't expect to win, were happy when we do?? We look at the bad old days and compare better results than that as successful... It happens when you don't have deep expectations...

Great clubs remember glory, and are not happy until they achieve it again.

Why accept a failure such as Saturday night with either excuses or forgiveness.... Can't see how losing such a game can be seen as anything less than unacceptable.... Hopefully coaches have made it explicit. They embarrassed themselves.

Aaron Hamill's point of view when talking about the differences between StK and Carl is interesting. I've also spoken to Russell Greene about this.... He said, the mindset at Hawthorn was failure was not an option. It's funny, it didn't necessarily come from the coach.... Because guess what?!
Demanding success is not working for the blues now, in fact they look and act like also rans now.
Stk and hawthorn were 1 each in 1971 and look how that has turned out.
It's the admin that changes these things, not the players, not the supporters.
Look at the cats and hawks and even swans, very strong admin.
Hamill is at the club now and can't change the effort should he resign?

How we as supporters can make a difference is join up and financially support stk where we can demand the admin is up to scratch and get the best recruiters and commercial guys going round and support the club and stop milking it.

The start of strong admin in the early 2000's brought us a number of good players and a new culture to go with it.
This all unravelled when butterss and Thomas blew up the club and has ended with he mishandling of Ross Lyon.
This needs to be rebuilt with a new prez.
Demand the best president, this will change the club.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't we as members vote in the board??

Members are what drives a FC.

I make two calls, because of historical expectation

WCE will win a flag in the next three years, but not win as many games as Freo who won't win a flag.

Carlton will do whatever it takes to win a flag..... It may backfire, but they won't die wondering....
Hiring and firing of Walls, Parkin, Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Jezza..... They make changes when things go bad and don't care what it takes

oh when the
Club Player

wont the next pres come from the current board
that's the way it works

what outsider can we get

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Don't we as members vote in the board??

WCE will win a flag in the next three years, but not win as many games as Freo who won't win a flag.

Carlton will do whatever it takes to win a flag..... It may backfire, but they won't die wondering....
Hiring and firing of Walls, Parkin, Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Jezza..... They make changes when things go bad and don't care what it takes

They won a flag and then got rid of jezza. Unsure how that is good even slightly. We got Blight and then sacked him. is that great for getting a coach who has won 2 flags and then great again because things were going bad so we sacked him. Ratten is no different to what we did with GT. We also got Jezza as a coach. He also won a flag

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

They won a flag and then got rid of jezza. Unsure how that is good even slightly. We got Blight and then sacked him. is that great for getting a coach who has won 2 flags and then great again because things were going bad so we sacked him. Ratten is no different to what we did with GT. We also got Jezza as a coach. He also won a flag
all true but should that have anything to do with Waters, Pelchen etc...we are a completely different club, different culture etc.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They got Parkin and won two more..... Good decision.... Parkin was named their coach of the century

He was then sacked after coming 2nd

Walls then won a flag immediately in 1987 sacked 18 months later

Parkin was reinstated in 1991 when they weren't happy..... And they moved heaven and earth to get diesel ..... Flag in 95

Pissed off with failure.... Went after Pagan... Sacked him when results weren't coming...

Hired a club favourite..... Sacked him in search of the best, who they currently have

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Yes members vote in the board, but we not have enough and no one cares.
Who could name the board on here without looking on the website?
Not me.

The firing thing hasn't worked well or the blues, they are further behind than they know.
Judd will not win anything with them.
Jezza left by the way, he wasn't fired, he fought with the board and lost.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They got Parkin and won two more..... Good decision.... Parkin was named their coach of the century

He was then sacked after coming 2nd

Walls then won a flag immediately in 1987 sacked 18 months later

Parkin was reinstated in 1991 when they weren't happy..... And they moved heaven and earth to get diesel ..... Flag in 95

Pissed off with failure.... Went after Pagan... Sacked him when results weren't coming...

Hired a club favourite..... Sacked him in search of the best, who they currently have
Carlton didn't finish 2nd the year Parkin left
The tigers change their coach because they aren't happy and their supporters demand success, how have they been going?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The tigers have changed there coach 3 times I think since 2001

Tigers supporters jump off... Different. They joke about their pathetic 30 years and history of finishing 9th

Frawley, Wallace, Hardwick....

I'll put my house on Carlton winning a premiership before StK

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I wasn't happy with there effort however scott does have a point

In quarters 1 and 3 we kicked 2 goals 13 !
if we had of kicked 5 goals 10 , we win the game .
if we kicked 10 goals 5 , we'd have shat it in , and everyone would be carrying on about how well this player or that player played , instead of saying how hopeless they are and were not going to win any games this year etc etc .......

In red white and black from 73
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I generally find reflections on pre-early '90's club cultures, attitudes to success and the relationship to winning flags to be rather naive.
The salary cap and draft began to take effect from the early '90's. 3 clubs (Ess, Haw, Carl) shared 10 of the 11 flags from '81 to '91, and most of the runners up spots. Guess what? - they were the most moneyed clubs. How many of the remaining clubs, including the Pies, were broke, or close to it, in the 80's and early '90's?
Consequently, a very small number of clubs had the opportunity to pillage the best talent from around the country. It was a period in the which the cycle was anything but virtuous. Many clubs had to sell their best players to just stay afloat.
How did Ess, Haw and Carlton go post the draft and salary cap taking effect? Any better than anyone else? Slip a bit from the previous decade, did they? Of course they did.
Ess got under the guard in '93, won well about 7 years later (but how?) and Carl held together the remnants of the 80's to win in '95. Then, later, who got done for cheating? Nice culture. Did anything to win, sure, but did themselves damage in the medium term. That's what happens when a competition acknowledges it doesn't actually have a future if it continues to allow a few clubs to dominate via the $, and seeks to promote a more equal basis on which to operate.
Carlton's culture was driven by John Elliott for over a decade. He was a real fine example of how to promote organisational culture and adherence to ethical standards, in business and football. It took the draft penalties to make Carlton wake up and shelve the Elliott m.o. to "win".
The cap and draft made this competition. Just count the number of clubs that have won, or gone close, since they were implemented (nearly 70% of the 16 clubs who've been in it for more than 5 minutes have won flags, and over 80% have played off). Compare that to what happened prior.
I just don't rate pre-'90's results. Holding those records up as examples of the superiority of a few outfits in matters outside those driven by money just does not compute.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I just don't rate pre-'90's results. Holding those records up as examples of the superiority of a few outfits in matters outside those driven by money just does not compute.
In fact, since 1997 the majority of premierships have been won by Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney - between them, that's 10 out of 16. If you'd said in 1996 that these clubs had winning cultures you would have been laughed down. Three of them had never won flags, the other had just lost a bunch of grand finals. I'm not sure the "winning culture" argument makes any sense.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Winning cultures are probably more significant in bad times.... The draft and cap makes result a bit cyclical...but being able to be resourced fully and a rich history with a huge supporter base is very important.

BTW Hawthorn have won 2 times in the last 20 years, Carlton Once, Essendon twice, Collingwood once....
All played in multiple GFs

Sydney created a winning culture under Paul Roos, Ross Lyon, John Longmire, Brett Kirk.... And a million in their cap above other.... Harnessed some kind of mantra and it is still believed

Adelaide 97/98, WCE 91-94, Brisbane 01-04 built dynasties on either player concessions or Drafting from the bottom. Leadership is significant in all of those dynasties. Powerful Coaches, good captains....

Geelong and us had the chance to create premiership success after raping the 1998-2002 drafts.... One team were successful.

They were the only team in their states ATT

Port entered the AFL wanting to win... They were used to it... And they had created a powerful side within 4 year

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I just don't rate pre-'90's results. Holding those records up as examples of the superiority of a few outfits in matters outside those driven by money just does not compute.
In fact, since 1997 the majority of premierships have been won by Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney - between them, that's 10 out of 16. If you'd said in 1996 that these clubs had winning cultures you would have been laughed down. Three of them had never won flags, the other had just lost a bunch of grand finals. I'm not sure the "winning culture" argument makes any sense.
I think "winning culture" may make sense, Bergholt, but it's only influence (limited anyway, compared to a whole range of other factors) is if it currently prevails within a particular group. Historical relationships between culture and success have no influence on the present day. Except, maybe, to delude people that an environment of 30 years ago can be replicated in a completely different world.

Probably 1 of the best examples of how a "winning culture" can completely delude a football club was Richmond. '67 to '80 they were a powerhouse. They had dosh and Graeme Richmond was lauded as the great powerbroker. He went around buying up all and sundry, and paid ridiculous amounts of money for some players (e.g. Pitura). He drove a lot of the player payments and transfer fee inflation that sent many clubs to the brink (or over it). Then Richmond went broke. The Tiges "winning culture" of '67-'80 blew up (so did their balance sheet and P&L). And, no amount of references to historical success has got it back, in more than 30 years (apart from Spud coaching them to a prelim). 30 years of "Eat Each Other Alive" trying to get back to a bygone era of a "winning culture".

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sydney created a winning culture...

Adelaide 97/98, WCE 91-94, Brisbane 01-04 built dynasties...

Geelong and us had the chance to create premiership success...
So what you're saying is that a winning culture is only evident after the fact? So who's to say that we haven't been building a winning culture over the last nine years, except that we just missed out on the end result? In ten years we might be saying that going so close in 09/10 was what laid the foundations for us to win six in a row.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sydney created a winning culture...

Adelaide 97/98, WCE 91-94, Brisbane 01-04 built dynasties...

Geelong and us had the chance to create premiership success...
So what you're saying is that a winning culture is only evident after the fact? So who's to say that we haven't been building a winning culture over the last nine years, except that we just missed out on the end result? In ten years we might be saying that going so close in 09/10 was what laid the foundations for us to win six in a row.

This is what we're all hoping happens.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Winning cultures are probably more significant in bad times.... The draft and cap makes result a bit cyclical...but being able to be resourced fully and a rich history with a huge supporter base is very important.

BTW Hawthorn have won 2 times in the last 20 years, Carlton Once, Essendon twice, Collingwood once....
All played in multiple GFs

Sydney created a winning culture under Paul Roos, Ross Lyon, John Longmire, Brett Kirk.... And a million in their cap above other.... Harnessed some kind of mantra and it is still believed

Adelaide 97/98, WCE 91-94, Brisbane 01-04 built dynasties on either player concessions or Drafting from the bottom. Leadership is significant in all of those dynasties. Powerful Coaches, good captains....

Geelong and us had the chance to create premiership success after raping the 1998-2002 drafts.... One team were successful.

They were the only team in their states ATT

Port entered the AFL wanting to win... They were used to it... And they had created a powerful side within 4 year
Hate to be pedantic, BM, but in the last 20 years (1993-2012 inclusive) Hawthorn have won 1 flag (2008), not 2. Their previous flag was 1991. But, that's not my main point. In 1991 the cap and draft had not fully taken effect (I'm not sure they were even both in operation in '91). Many clubs were still languishing under limited income and mountains of debt from the 70's and '80's.
My point is Hawthorn have not gone any better than others in that period since the equalisation measures began taking effect. In the 21 years up to their '91 flag they'd won 8 flags (38% of those contested, 35% if you leave out '71 to get an even 20 years).
Carlton in the same 20 years won 5 flags (25%). And got pinged for their systematic cap breaches.
Richmond from '67 to '80 (14 years) won 5 flags (36%).
Essendon were a basket case in the latter part of the 70's, but won 2 in the 80's. They went closest to replicating their 80's success in the first half of the last 20 years, but got pinged for systematic breaches (incl for the '93 flag year). Nuttin' in the win column since 2000.
In the last 20 years these dominant clubs have not bested the clubs that could not hold a candle to them under the previous competition structure, due, almost entirely in my belief, to the income differential driven by competition overlords who sat in big leather chairs and preached the status quo.
We mortgaged our next 40 odd years to move to Moorabbin and pay for immediate success, because the numbers wouldn't work without the early success. If we'd moved under the set of policies started by the VFL/AFL for Sydney's move, I am absolutely certain we wouldn't have lost the 3 odd decades up to the early naughties.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Draft and cap were introduced in the 1986 post season.

And yes hawthorn has won 2 in the last 22 years..... Not 20

They have also won 4 in the last 25

We need to face up to reality
Us and the dogs unfortunately are the least successful clubs and don't have a culture of success

Everyone knows that, most of all we should..... But doesn't mean we have to accept it....

My point is

I believe we do accept our fate, and concede ........ Other clubs do something about it

I'm not sure we know how to win, look at our recent GFs.... Marred by loss of confidence during games, more than anything and inability to step up in the face of winning.... We could/should have won all of the 4, but stumbled....

defacto
Club Player

that once worked for carlton when the competition was not even and things like the salary cap were not policed.

its created a toxic culture at carlton. a culture were starting to see show its head at essendon.

i dont think carlton will win a flag with this playing group

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What are they missing?

I think they'll get into the mix.... On balance their side is good enough, with Waite fit

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What are they missing?

I think they'll get into the mix.... On balance their side is good enough, with Waite fit
You know Waite is only 3 months younger than Roo don't you?
He will never be fit.

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:What are they missing?

character. drive to win and succeed. to humble not bullish enough.

best mid close to retirement.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Who didn't try?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

SO every one on here is right and the coach is wrong/lying?

Cool..carry on.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor