Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

St Ick wrote:I actually think he is in our best 22. He is unassuming out there but is a lot better than most of us have considered. I have him in front of Gilbert to be honest.

So we have Dempster, Fisher, Roberton, Stanley, Geary, Simpkin, Gwilt, Siposs, Wright/Ray/Newnes. Thats before Gilberts name is thrown in there.

Obviously its very tough for spots back there, but with Gilbert, his kicking is just such a liability I feel he will be squeezed out - I'm sure Roo doesn't want him playing up the ground delivering into the fwdline...
Roberton has played 37 games in his first 3 seasons so he is obviously has shown a bit.

If everything goes to play he should has around 60 games in his first 4 years making him a player of not just the future, but the now.

Hopefully this means we can see Sam Gilbert forward more as (to me) he is more value forward of center.

A shank kick from Gilbert at least creates pressure if it goes into the forward 50 compared to a shank kick from the defensive 50 closer to goal.

Yes his kicking is average however it gets a bit of a bump-wrap on here. He is a runner, big tackling player who has average kicking skills

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:Did anyone see Gilbert have a running shot on goal with his RIGHT FOOT against Melbourne.....it missed but it wasn't awkward looking....
Saw that. Missed, but went a reasonable distance.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I watched the replay today and actually thought saturday and the swans match were two of Gilbos better games for sometime. He can swoop on the ball at pace and is very quick and slippery, he is much better away from defence and looks recharged. Roberton was really solid again too. Just reads it really well and knows when to move up the ground and leave his man.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and right in time - the article and his role explained

There are single role players. There are dual role players. And some rare types who are considered ''triple threats''. They are the ones who can be used basically anywhere, in any position, on the ground.

St Kilda and Sam Gilbert are hoping that he can become a triple-threat player this year. Gilbert has been used in the midfield this pre-season, including spells on the ball, starting in the centre square.

For a player who has been used as a flanker, predominantly in defence but also as a forward, it was an evolutionary move hoped to give the Saints an additional big body around the contests

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... z2NEFj5o9G

would Arryn be considered 'small' ?
Small forward Arryn Sippos has also been pushed up the ground to a wing as the Saints look to better exploit his exceptional kicking skills.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Plugger66.. I think.

busso mick
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I'm with Plugger66.. I think.
Can you describe him for me?

saintjake
Club Player

avid wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Didn't we just resign him for another 3 years? Would seem a strange choice if the coaches don't see him in our best 22. I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!

Roberton, though, while I wish him well, doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same energy, or dash, presence as Gilbo. (And I haven't seen enough kicks to know whether he's much better kick than Gilbo anyway.)
Robbo is a good kick, I know school footy is nothing like the pressure of AFL, but he was just mucking around during games and unloading torps from the back half and hitting targets with ease

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Obviously its very tough for spots back there, but with Gilbert, his kicking is just such a liability I feel he will be squeezed out -

not according to the coach....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

People must have rose coloured glasses because Gilbert bloke is our worst kick in the side, it's literally worse than Jones. He seems to have absolutely no depth perception either... is a liability.

Roberton on the other hand is very capable, definitely ahead of gilbert.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:People must have rose coloured glasses because Gilbert bloke is our worst kick in the side, it's literally worse than Jones. He seems to have absolutely no depth perception either... is a liability.

You must have watched Roberton closely at Freo as we havent even played a proper game yet. Id back Gilbert for sure.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote:People must have rose coloured glasses because Gilbert bloke is our worst kick in the side, it's literally worse than Jones. He seems to have absolutely no depth perception either... is a liability.

I have personally never seen a footballer so good and also so bad with his foot skills on his preferred foot, if that makes sense...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is an athletic freak. Not often do you see players his size with such agility and endurance. He has his weaknesses, however his strengths far out way those weaknesses. One of the first picked in the team IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Gilbert is an athletic freak. Not often do you see players his size with such agility and endurance. He has his weaknesses, however his strengths far out way those weaknesses. One of the first picked in the team IMO.

Interesting. you would think if we are going to have a good season which IMO would be 12+ wins, we'd need to see really good improvement from guys like Gilbert.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I think Gilbert at full flight will have a massive impact on our chances this year. I also believe he is often harshly judged. I thought he really started to gain confidence about half way through last season and I'm expecting a big year from him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:I think Gilbert at full flight will have a massive impact on our chances this year. I also believe he is often harshly judged. I thought he really started to gain confidence about half way through last season and I'm expecting a big year from him.
My thoughts exactly.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:and right in time - the article and his role explained

There are single role players. There are dual role players. And some rare types who are considered ''triple threats''. They are the ones who can be used basically anywhere, in any position, on the ground.

St Kilda and Sam Gilbert are hoping that he can become a triple-threat player this year. Gilbert has been used in the midfield this pre-season, including spells on the ball, starting in the centre square.

For a player who has been used as a flanker, predominantly in defence but also as a forward, it was an evolutionary move hoped to give the Saints an additional big body around the contests

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... z2NEFj5o9G

would Arryn be considered 'small' ?
Small forward Arryn Sippos has also been pushed up the ground to a wing as the Saints look to better exploit his exceptional kicking skills.
If he's as tall as you?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

You must have watched Roberton closely at Freo as we havent even played a proper game yet. Id back Gilbert for sure.
i'm not sure if you are being facetious or not but I rarely miss a game of football and I do watch the game very closely.

Gilbert is seriously one of the worst kicks of the football in the league, his errors are horrendous and cost us goals directly..

These players just cannot be in your football team... we have delisted a few players who fit this bill eg Peake, Gram, Clarke, Eddy and McQualter for this exact reason.

The game has evolved and skill is ultra important... Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn all have great skill.

Roberton is a GOP who will not incessantly turn the pill over and will get the job done. Our best 22 should not involve both Jones and Gilbert due to their disposal inefficiency...

We have players coming through who can kick eg Sipposs, Newnes, Milera, Ross etc

These are the players to take us to the next level.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Watters on Gilbert:
''Sam will be used at the defensive end, the front end and in the midfield for us this year. It's fantastic for us and shows his versatility and strengths as a player.

''From an endurance and speed point of view he has all the attributes to play anywhere on the ground - he has elite speed and endurance and has good height, can mark well overhead. So no doubt at times throughout this year he will be used in those roles.''

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:

i'm not sure if you are being facetious or not but I rarely miss a game of football and I do watch the game very closely.

Gilbert is seriously one of the worst kicks of the football in the league, his errors are horrendous and cost us goals directly..

These players just cannot be in your football team... we have delisted a few players who fit this bill eg Peake, Gram, Clarke, Eddy and McQualter for this exact reason.

The game has evolved and skill is ultra important... Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn all have great skill.

We have players coming through who can kick eg Sipposs, Newnes, Milera, Ross etc

Collingwood- Toovey Maxwell Harry O Ben Johnson are all ball butchers.

Gilberts strengths far out way his weakness which is his footskills at times.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Gilberts strengths far out way his weakness which is his footskills at times.
I think you have nailed it Curly.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:
mightysainters wrote:

Collingwood- Toovey Maxwell Harry O Ben Johnson are all ball butchers.

Gilberts strengths far out way his weakness which is his footskills at times.

Incorrect about Johnson, these days he is a good ball user, Maxwell doesn't butcher it either rarely miskicks it...

Harry O does look ordinary at times i agree...

These players do not absolutely butcher the ball like Gilbert does...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert played really well against Melbourne.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gilbert played really well against Melbourne.

We all see thing differently and I only saw 3 quarters but I thought he was only fair and I dont like him on the HFF. You thought Jamar struggled and I thought he was very good. Its an opinion business so my opinion is Gilbert needs to play wing or HBF to get the best out of him. I think he is a player who can improve from the last 2 years and can help the side improve this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His effort and competing between the arcs was enormous, so much so, I pointed it out to a dude next to me who thought the same.... His pressure right in front of me, to force the ball out of bounds after being the person who drove the ball from HB...

Superb running and work rate... Did it for 4 quarters.

Jamar.... Well if he couldn't dominate that game, with 4 inches and/or 15kg and a lot of ruck experience over Blake/Kosi... He should have deliver the ball to his mids on a spoon and dominated aroundt the ground....

Blake dominated the first quarter and was probably BOG at q time.... Our mids smashed them to pieces in the second quarter, and we won every centre clearance except for the last one where they scored... Think we won 8. And we belted them around the ground in stoppages...

Takes more than just 35 hit outs to be considered a good game IMO he took one contested mark .... His influence on the game was almost irrelevant. IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His effort and competing between the arcs was enormous, so much so, I pointed it out to a dude next to me who thought the same.... His pressure right in front of me, to force the ball out of bounds after being the person who drove the ball from HB...

Superb running and work rate... Did it for 4 quarters.

Jamar.... Well if he couldn't dominate that game, with 4 inches and/or 15kg and a lot of ruck experience over Blake/Kosi... He should have deliver the ball to his mids on a spoon and dominated aroundt the ground....

Blake dominated the first quarter and was probably BOG at q time.... Our mids smashed them to pieces in the second quarter, and we won every centre clearance except for the last one where they scored... Think we won 8. And we belted them around the ground in stoppages...

Takes more than just 35 hit outs to be considered a good game IMO he took one contested mark .... His influence on the game was almost irrelevant. IMO
As I said we all see things differently. The HS and the age had Jamar as Melbourne's best player and none had Gilbert in the best. I saw 3 quarters and had a different opinion to you. And IMO Blake was no where near BOG at quarter time but we all see things differently.