Is Tanking OK in the NAB cup?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Tanking OK in the NAB cup?

Sorry, had to go to work. There's more important things than arguing the toss on a football forum over things that don't matter.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Sorry, had to go to work. There's more important things than arguing the toss on a football forum over things that don't matter.
f***, really? I quit then.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I realise in practice some clubs don't take it seriously, but there's prizemoney involved and, significantly, you can bet on it.

Once there is betting involved, you'd hope the team you back is trying to win.
I'd hope our team is trying to minimize injury risk first and foremost.

Winning is secondary.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I would sooner scrap the preseason than change it to fit betting culture. I think there should be a discussion about ending it anyway. The atmosphere on Sunday was pretty much the opposite of that Geelong/St Kilda game they replayed the other night. People don't care and I suspect the AFL are sinking dollars into the project. That money could be put to better use giving the administration a raise, or painting more lines near the bench.

I also don't think you could call anything anybody did in the NAB cup tanking, outside maybe Sydney under Roos. Even that's a stretch and, just for fun, try proving it. People may not have broken their backs trying to win, but I don't think anybody was deliberately trying to lose, either on the field or in the coaches box. As long as everybody wants to win, there will never be a problem.

Yeah nah pleasing positive