WE'LL GET A DEFENDER IN THE DRAFT YOU SAID... U WERE WRONG!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: WE'LL GET A DEFENDER IN THE DRAFT YOU SAID... U WERE WRO

Gwilt Edged wrote:Does anyone else feel like they are being sucked into a nexus?
Yep

I love this club
Viking3
Club Player

It's good to see we have posters who have a better idea on what we need than, our recruiting staff, our list manager and our coach!!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why is the op's anger directed at the forum

We're not in charge

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:Sam Fisher was drafted as a forward. You don't draft defenders you make them
Yes that happens, but care to remind me who won the NAB rising star this year?

We spent pick 25 on a speculative big man who could be the next Buddy, but could also be the next Lucas Cook. So now we are going to be playing Hickey, Rhys, Lee & White in the forward line for the next 10 years.

Fact is, next best available was Tom Clurey - regardless of our needs, I bet Port are pissing themselves having picked him up where they did.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saint6709
Club Player

Gwilt Edged wrote:Does anyone else feel like they are being sucked into a nexus?

Is that a car?

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:get a life d!ckhead.
+1

Thats all that needs to be said about this OP

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Sam Fisher was drafted as a forward. You don't draft defenders you make them

We spent pick 25 on a speculative big man who could be the next Buddy, but could also be the next Lucas Cook. So now we are going to be playing Hickey, Rhys, Lee & White in the forward line for the next 10 years.

Fact is, next best available was Tom Clurey - regardless of our needs, I bet Port are pissing themselves having picked him up where they did.
i dont think Port are in any position to be laughing at any club to be honest... the way they are going Clurey will walk out on them as soon as he is developed and has intrest from a club with actual supporters not tarps in the stands

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saint6709
Club Player

i dont think Port are in any position to be laughing at any club to be honest... the way they are going Clurey will walk out on them as soon as he is developed and has intrest from a club with actual supporters not tarps in the stands
Feel a bit sorry for the kid

andrewg
Club Player

Like I have said over and over
The landscape of building a team has changed DRAMATICALLY (that's right I used caps)
We have money to burn at the end of this year on a free agent, Brown is a very good chance of coming to us + whoever else wants to be paid handsomely for shutting down forwards. The draft is only one way to get a defender.
2013 = another middle of the road year + another infusion of kids and free agents or out of contract players and another year into our up and comers (siposs, Ross, Stanley etc)
2014 = a very good year
2015 = another shot at the top 4

The blueprint is pretty obvious and it's by no means rocket science so just calm your farm.

The Craw
Club Player

St Ick wrote:

Yeh .... Melbourne, GWS and Hawthorn must be kicking themselves.

Not Craw, CRAW!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I understand what you are suggesting andrewg but watching our defence getting slaughtered by the larger forwards this year was painful. Surely Mitch Brown is not the only key defender out there - every other club can find them WHY CANT WE?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Austinnn
Club Player

Christ Simmo, just give up. I mean it. You don't have the heart to follow a team. Enjoy the rest of your life, and leave the Saints to the Saints supporters. Not a dig, just a request. Get out before you die of a broken heart.

If you do decide to stick with us - and I have to ask; why? - then for God's sake, don't take the Herald Sun at their word about anything, but especially The Saints: we are one of their favourite targets, along with illegal immigrants and aborigines.

You deserve better than the uncertainty of a football team that makes decisions you don't agree with. I suggest you give yourself a break and either support a team that will get all the breaks for s few years like GWS, or get out of footy and get into golf, where the only decisions they make are which type of hitting implement to use.

Good Luck, I wish you happiness and security.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not going to waste my time replying in this... Oh damn it!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Draft over reactions are not uncommon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOrRmdRVp0

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Why is the op's anger directed at the forum

We're not in charge
Because his team, Carlton, didn't make the eight and now have Malthouse as punishment :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Christ Simmo, just give up. I mean it. You don't have the heart to follow a team. Enjoy the rest of your life, and leave the Saints to the Saints supporters. Not a dig, just a request. Get out before you die of a broken heart.

If you do decide to stick with us - and I have to ask; why? - then for God's sake, don't take the Herald Sun at their word about anything, but especially The Saints: we are one of their favourite targets, along with illegal immigrants and aborigines.

You deserve better than the uncertainty of a football team that makes decisions you don't agree with. I suggest you give yourself a break and either support a team that will get all the breaks for s few years like GWS, or get out of footy and get into golf, where the only decisions they make are which type of hitting implement to use.

Good Luck, I wish you happiness and security.
What a load of drivel.

Just tell him to feck off instead.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Austinnn
Club Player

ahhh right...

now I get it.

I was wondering why so many of you are moaning that we didn't get Clruey or Gartlett or whatever their names are. I mean why are these guys so special out of all the other recruits we didn't take. Then I stumbled across the Herald Sun phantom draft. The names that bunch of clowns decided we should/would take? That's right, Clurey and Gartlett.

It's bad enough that some have the arrogance to assume they know more about a team of professional scouts and recruiting managers who've put in months if not years of research into their choices and whose careers rest on their selections. But it's quite another thing to base your 'better judgement' on the say so of a hack with no real pressure on them to choose. If Clark and even Quayle (who I respect a million times more since she actually is a decent journalist) got the entire draft wrong, the worst that would happen is they'd look silly.

If you are moaning because we didn't do what the papers expected us to, get to the shearers and get your wool cut off cos summer is coming. FFS how about waiting and seeing if the kids we picked are can play, and see how we do in 2013 before you have a cry, you pathetic children?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Simmo2 wrote:Relax they said.... we'll get a defender in the draft they said..........

We're the laughing stock yet again.

I look forward to another 10 years of pain. I mean, whats the difference from the last 46 years.

Pathetic.... they will try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It doesnt work.
take it easy our team is a little more than one key defender.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Typical "THE SKY IS FALLING" style hyberbole from OP.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:

Why are you so sure that Clurey will be better than Wright?

We need a KPD now and not in 3 to 5 years time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Typical "THE SKY IS FALLING" style hyberbole from OP.
I think , in his mind, the Saints aren't looking all that prettay, he's sick of failure...

Some teams top up and don't drop far...some teams top up and start tumbling...

he's worried continual history is going to repeat itself again...

me....i'm past caring....when they get it right again, i'll smile....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Typical "THE SKY IS FALLING" style hyberbole from OP.
I think , in his mind, the Saints aren't looking all that prettay, he's sick of failure...

Some teams top up and don't drop far...some teams top up and start tumbling...

he's worried continual history is going to repeat itself again...

me....i'm past caring....when they get it right again, i'll smile....
I don't think the future is as grim as what some people are making it out to be.

But perhaps expecting the worst is a good way to avoid future heartbreak.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
andrewg
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:I understand what you are suggesting andrewg but watching our defence getting slaughtered by the larger forwards this year was painful. Surely Mitch Brown is not the only key defender out there - every other club can find them WHY CANT WE?
Some other clubs, we arnt the worst.

cannavaro17
Club Player

andrewg wrote:Like I have said over and over
The landscape of building a team has changed DRAMATICALLY (that's right I used caps)
We have money to burn at the end of this year on a free agent, Brown is a very good chance of coming to us + whoever else wants to be paid handsomely for shutting down forwards. The draft is only one way to get a defender.
2013 = another middle of the road year + another infusion of kids and free agents or out of contract players and another year into our up and comers (siposs, Ross, Stanley etc)
2014 = a very good year
2015 = another shot at the top 4

The blueprint is pretty obvious and it's by no means rocket science so just calm your farm.
Absolutely agree! If we only need a key position back then we will trade for one, easier trading for one of those than a super star key forward or midfielder!

Winmar
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Why are you so sure that Clurey will be better than Wright?

We need a KPD now and not in 3 to 5 years time.
I saw Clurey replacing Sam Fisher when Clurey gets going and Sam retired. Wright is completely different, will play either on a flank or move to the midfield. I'm not devo about our picks, I just think Clurey was our best option at 26.

I would have been happy with Clurey and Wright personally even though I have concerns over his iffy kicking - talk about ultimate Gram replacement! I hope for our sake our gamble with 'The Next Buddy' pays off.

I hate that this site is almost no longer a place where you can give opinions anymore, without someone laying the boots in. This thread is a good example.

I'm a little shocked at all the talls on the Suns list now though. Jacksh, Plowman, Frost, Corr, Davis, Thomlinson, Stewart, Patton, Cameron etc. They are ALL key possie players so I would be looking to take one or two off their hands when Sam retires. So initially its shock and disappointment that we didnt get Clurey to develop but a kid like Coo or Thomlinson in a couple of years when we really need them might be better for us.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!