New Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: New Players

gringo wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Tom Lee has already played as a defender, not very well though apparently. But maybe they are going to convert Tom to a fullback.

Tom Lee is the same as Wilkes, shouldn't play anywhere but near goal. I think Lever is the only long term KPB we have with Blake the interim. I would look at cutting some rookies and getting a mature one in the preseason draft. Justin Hardy or the big tassie boy.
lee played very well in defence for claremont before being moved forward. more versatile than wilkes.

i wouldnt be surprised if they play him there initially to atleast see how elite fwds play.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes and Lee both kicked lots of goals in the WAFL after spending time in defence.

Wilkes and Lee, prior to their WAFL efforts, we're both on AFL lists.

So there are some similarities.

However let's not draw the assumption, from thousands of kilometres away, that these two blokes are identical twins. Lee obviously is more athletic and has a lot more upside than Wilkes; I doubt we would've given up pick 13 for the latter!

Lee may be a short term option down the back, while he learns his craft, while he waits for some older blokes to retire and for the Saints pick up their genuine FB.

Maybe he'll be no good there, but let's wait and see. Let's not condemn him cos we think he's Wilkes' clone.

defacto
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Wilkes and Lee both kicked lots of goals in the WAFL after spending time in defence.

However let's not draw the assumption, from thousands of kilometres away, that these two blokes are identical twins. Lee obviously is more athletic and has a lot more upside than Wilkes; I doubt we would've given up pick 13 for the latter!

Lee may be a short term option down the back, while he learns his craft, while he waits for some older blokes to retire and for the Saints pick up their genuine FB.

Maybe he'll be no good there, but let's wait and see. Let's not condemn him cos we think he's Wilkes' clone.
spot on. two completely different players. lee is more agile than wilkes. wilkes is better in a contested marking situation.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Wilkes and Lee both kicked lots of goals in the WAFL after spending time in defence.

i'm a big wrap for Lee, I wanted him after the Foxtel cup games. He is surprisingly a very short tall, the opposite to Simpkin. Simpkin plays taller than his frame should allow while Lee is good at ground level and is a good mover, he can grab the spilt ball pretty easily and plays a bit like Jack Riewoldt where he seems to get on his game as he lets his confidence grows. He isn't a bad mark but will sneak as many as he kicks from marks. He is a bit Milne like even. I just can't see Lee getting inspired to play back or being particularly good at spoiling the talls like Cloke. Would be playing the opposite to his strengths.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am particularly happy with Wright and Pierce, I would have taken them if I was doing it. The other three I dont know enough about, but they all look good to me.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

From the Saints website. "The Saints drafted four players on Thursday night - all of whom will be boarding a plane on Tuesday with their new teammates."
Does this mean one of the new recruits is not going, or is it just a misprint?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:From the Saints website. "The Saints drafted four players on Thursday night - all of whom will be boarding a plane on Tuesday with their new teammates."
Does this mean one of the new recruits is not going, or is it just a misprint?
Either way it's a misprint, as we definitely drafted five players.