HS Phantom Draft - Tanner Smith at #25, Ben Jacobs at #26

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Re: HS Phantom Draft - Tanner Smith at #25, Ben Jacobs at #2

Re: Smith; the more I read the less happy I become about this as a pick. The majority opinion seems to be great stopper who's kicking doesn't even reach 'average'.

We already have blokes like Gilbert and Jones knocking around, and then at the next level blokes like Geary are ok by foot, by hardly laser standard.

Great kicking is a premium these days, and really, always has been. We need more turnover merchants like a hole in the head.

P.S Is Aidan Corr really brother of Cathal? Or is my chain being yanked?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:Re: Smith; the more I read the less happy I become about this as a pick. The majority opinion seems to be great stopper who's kicking doesn't even reach 'average'.

We already have blokes like Gilbert and Jones knocking around, and then at the next level blokes like Geary are ok by foot, by hardly laser standard.

Great kicking is a premium these days, and really, always has been. We need more turnover merchants like a hole in the head.

P.S Is Aidan Corr really brother of Cathal? Or is my chain being yanked?
If that is the case, then I can't see Pelchan drafting him... Seems pretty big on good foot skills, thank god.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: Scott Cloustens??

This guys name still gets thrown around

He is a nice size and can play well at lower levels, he was cut at the Lions before getting to show what he could do. He has nominated after finishing his uni degree in Queensland and is supposedly a pretty good bloke. He's got good speed and athleticism but is a forward and might not translate into a defender as easily. He averages about 18 possessions as a forward at QAFL level and probably feels he's too good for the state league but may not be AFL standard but we need someone who can play as a tall defender from day one next year and if we could even get him in as a mature aged rookie it would at least be a possible. He is more likely to be Dawson like than Darren Glass but if cheap he is an option until Clurey, Rodda or Jakshe etc come on
Chopper makes Gram's footskills look like Goddards by comparison.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:

He is a nice size and can play well at lower levels, he was cut at the Lions before getting to show what he could do. He has nominated after finishing his uni degree in Queensland and is supposedly a pretty good bloke. He's got good speed and athleticism but is a forward and might not translate into a defender as easily. He averages about 18 possessions as a forward at QAFL level and probably feels he's too good for the state league but may not be AFL standard but we need someone who can play as a tall defender from day one next year and if we could even get him in as a mature aged rookie it would at least be a possible. He is more likely to be Dawson like than Darren Glass but if cheap he is an option until Clurey, Rodda or Jakshe etc come on
Gringo do you know Clouston?

interesting on the 'good bloke' thing...seems a bit wide of the proverbial mark

Scoop
Club Player

Uncle Barrels wrote: P.S Is Aidan Corr really brother of Cathal?
He is indeed......to be sure, to be sure......

:oops: sorry....couldn't help myself!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Scoop wrote:
Uncle Barrels wrote: P.S Is Aidan Corr really brother of Cathal?
He is indeed......to be sure, to be sure......

:oops: sorry....couldn't help myself!!
Goon 8-)

He's a bit bigger than his 'big' bro - Cathal is listed at 187cms and 90kgs playing for Collingwood Magoos. I wonder whether he'd be draftable as an Aaron Hamill type... Massive longbow, but interesting thought. Grown 5cms since he was with us and put on a lot of bulk (8kgs)... Hamill was 184cms and 94kgs.

Megamaguire
Club Player

If it's true that Tanner is coming from a long way back with his foot skills it does make you worry.
Having the option of clean disposal out of the backline instantly takes the pressure off our defenders and probably helps them catch their breath and set up for the next onslaught coming straight at them.
Being a great stopper certainly sounds very advantageous too but... the thought of opposition strategies working towards exploiting this particular weakness may be enough to swing the brains trust away from Smith - don't know but i think i did notice E.Quayle rated Aidan Corr as a better bet.
Has anyone noticed Aiden's footskills?
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
gringo wrote:

Gringo do you know Clouston?

interesting on the 'good bloke' thing...seems a bit wide of the proverbial mark

no heard it from an old mate who lives in Queensland and has seen a bit of him though so may be mates with him and talked him up so it is not from personal experience. Is he a d**khead?
This guy made him sound like a really good option as a fill in until someone can develop with the potential to be a better than GOP in the mean time.