Watters on 3aw soon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters on 3aw soon

SainterK wrote:
fingers wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still don't buy it to be honest...

There is tention there,

I think BJ wanted to play a role and Scott had other ideas.
You're kidding right?
No.

Why?

He sees himself as a mid, and was pretty clear he was frustrated this year not to get that opportunity.
BJ was frustrated because he was struggling to get a kick IMO. He is very easily frustrated. Nothing to do with where he was being played. If he didn't like where the coach was playing him, BJ, and even more so St Kilda, are better off he has gone.

We don't need selfish blokes wearing red, white and back.

Good player, big loss

Spin it whatever way..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I love Scotty's straight bat approach. You wanna play with us or you can f*** off!
Good hey, very Ross Lyon like. Its what we want.
Try typing with both hands next time buddy!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:re: the discussion and comparison with Ball vs Goddard -

Ball improved as a player, as he was playing under a better coach - in Malthouse - who recognised and (unlike RL) valued Ball's strengths - which is his ability to win clearances and his tackling. Ball felt appreciated under Malthouse, who played him on his strengths.

Goddard is a beautiful kick, as we all know - but he only plays well as a loose half-back, and his weakness is he doesn't win enough contested possessions.

If Hird recruited Goddard as a potential midfielder - he will be very disappointed.
unless of course Goddard does well in the midfield and then it just might be Lyon's fault for mainly playing him in 'quarterback 'role.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
fingers wrote:

There is tention there,

You're kidding right?
No.

Why?

He sees himself as a mid, and was pretty clear he was frustrated this year not to get that opportunity.
And we KNOW this how?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Good player, big loss

Spin it whatever way..

So should have we have kept him whatever the cost?
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 14 Nov 2012 9:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What did Watters say on 3AW?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is tention there,

Yes shameful that the coach would have ideas on where individual players should play....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I love Scotty's straight bat approach. You wanna play with us or you can f*** off!
Good hey, very Ross Lyon like. Its what we want.

i get the feeling that Scotty wears his heart on his sleeve because he buys into the figure head of the club role. He is out there saying my boys have my faith. He's the protective father type. Ross was always acting more like that Snape guy from Harry Potter. He was part of the family but always casting a sneaky eye on the neighbours young wife licking his lips slowly. I remember him going a bit overboard in praising up Daisy and Gaff but tended not to pump his own teams tyres too much. If Scotty thinks it works good on him.

Scott could also feel a bit like Goddard has rejected the vision he has set for the club and pretty much deserted to where he believes in the future.

paddy
Club Player

I think he has been taken out of context....

I am sure scott wishes BJ had have stayed...

But I dont think he regrets not mathing the dons offer....

His tone in the interview was more that he wants to move on, and that he is focused on the future.... (no point crying over spilt milk, just clean it up)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bit of a non-issue IMO

of course BJ will talk up the bombers and show that is is optimistic and wants to be there

I don't really think he meant it as a slight at us

And Clarky... what is this thing you have for RL?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote: And we KNOW this how?
Know what how?

BJ said himself after the Rd 19 game when interviewed that he had to wait his turn until then, Scott confirmed around the same time OTC that he admitted he'd asked BJ to play other roles this year...and this was his turn.

BJ constantly referred to himself all year as a midfielder...

Dons and BJ this week confirmed they are expecting he'll be an inside mid 95% of the time.

I'm not making any of it up, honestly...I could find it all soon enough.

People also seem to be confusing the issue as well, I'm not saying it's right that he wants to play elsewhere or that he is justified to leave to do so, I am saying that I strongly believe though that this is largely the reason.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
fingers wrote: And we KNOW this how?
Know what how?

BJ said himself after the Rd 19 game when interviewed that he had to wait his turn until then, Scott confirmed around the same time OTC that he admitted he'd asked BJ to play other roles this year...and this was his turn.

BJ constantly referred to himself all year as a midfielder...

Dons and BJ this week confirmed they are expecting he'll be an inside mid 95% of the time.

People also seem to be confusing the issue as well, I'm not saying it's right that he wants to play elsewhere or that he is justified to leave to do so, I am saying that I strongly believe though that this is largely the reason.
Money was the reason fgs.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Terrance80
Club Player

Two sides to every story... Can understand brendon leaving and also the clubs stance.... How could they possibly reward Goddard with a four year deal worth 750k a year when players like roo and montagna have been offered diminished contracts when both of those guys have both had more impact than bj has in last few years.. I think bj needed a change.. He has also always seen himself as being the gun and there is nothing wrong with that , I think it is a reason that he is so good , but when that sort of ambitious determined person isn't performing and then it comes to contract time and the club offers a decent offer for what he has produced which is a fair way from what the bj camp were wishing for I think that may have got his nose out of joint.... In this day and age of free agency it has become a lot easier to move around....I think we will see a lot more of it....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

In 200 games and 3 coaches he would be lucky to have played 10% of that time in the midfield, why would he suddenly decide that was enough reason to leave?

Essendon may have "leaked" their dossier that he will spend 95% of his time in the midfield, all good PR, but BJ may will find himself on the HBF once again if he is getting tagged and can't get into games from the midfield.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: BJ constantly referred to himself all year as a midfielder...

I thought you said that if we had of offered him a fourth year he would have stayed? Surely if he was so unhappy playing for us position-wise, then the length of contract we offered up was irrelevant?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

I thought you said that if we had of offered him a fourth year he would have stayed? Surely if he was so unhappy playing for us position-wise, then the length of contract we offered up was irrelevant?
Yeah, I thought he'd stay with a fourth...

Think we lost him though when the club invited him to talk to other clubs, Hird got in his ear....rest is history.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:In 200 games and 3 coaches he would be lucky to have played 10% of that time in the midfield, why would he suddenly decide that was enough reason to leave?

Essendon may have "leaked" their dossier that he will spend 95% of his time in the midfield, all good PR, but BJ may will find himself on the HBF once again if he is getting tagged and can't get into games from the midfield.
Or they may get BJ to 'tag' guys like he did Boyd and someone else the following week who I can't recall right now...he had the 13 clearances in that fortnight.

I'm thinking he will add value, happy to be wrong though...as it doesn't really impact us anymore.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Curran has the makings of a potential midfielder with the right attributes, not Goddard.
Did you seriously compare Tom Curren with Brendon Goddard? One guy's 178cm and still on the rookie list at 20, the other's 189cm and has played 200 games, three grand finals and at 27 still has a number of good years left in him.

I want Tommy Curren to become a player as much as you do, but there's no comparison there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:

Yeah, I thought he'd stay with a fourth...

Think we lost him though when the club invited him to talk to other clubs, Hird got in his ear....rest is history.

Think we wanted to lose him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spin it whatever way..
So you're against the club not ponying up and handing Goddard 800k a year??

Sometimes you need to see a forest not just a tree..

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Spin it whatever way..

Where did the 800K come from?

If the 'reports' are to be believed, he got 700, we offered 600K...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Spin it whatever way..

Where did the 800K come from?

If the 'reports' are to be believed, he got 700, we offered 600K...
I've read as high as 850 so which papers your poison is the question - does that really make a difference to the argument though ?? I mean we are talking a lot of cash - more than we could afford

Or do you also subscribe to the view we should have stretched our cap to retain a 28 yr old who hasn't reached dizzy footballing heights in 2 yrs at a time when we are re developing??

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I've read as high as 850 so which papers your poison is the question - does that really make a difference to the argument though ?? I mean we are talking a lot of cash - more than we could afford

Or do you also subscribe to the view we should have stretched our cap to retain a 28 yr old who hasn't reached dizzy footballing heights in 2 yrs at a time when we are re developing??
I think we could of done a little better, at least when he asked to discuss a 4th year with conditions we could of heard him out and pretended to care....instead of responding that we invite him to test the market.

Some think we didn't want him so let him be wooed somewhere else, this may of been the case...in which case I must rate him higher than most, which is OK...everyone has different opinions.

You also must forgive me if I've heard 'the best is behind him' speel recently regarding departed Saints faves.

I think he will do well in the midfield, if I'm wrong...feel free to remind me :P

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Ironically last night I watched our last two games of 2012 back to back (one recorded on IQ, then straight into the FOX footy replay of our Rnd 23 game against Carltank).

Ironically BJ seemed to have little involvement in either game, but when he did it was as a medium tall, mostly forward and some around half back. Given that rnd 22 was against GWS I was shocked how little involvement he had in the game.

I noticed that Ledger was VERY involved and did some good things, Sippos will be a star, Gram had a fair bit of influence in the Carlton game but was in and out of the game in patches. The otheh one that I really noticed with the benefit of watching it on replay, Newnes is going to be a player!!

We've got some good kids going around. But based on output from the last two games of the year we wouldn't miss BJ at all. He barely touched it.

That is not the reality of course, only a snapshot, and the truth is that a quality player will always be missed, and BJ is a quality player, but based on the four hours of football I watched last night, if it was a reality for the long term plans of our club that we needed to lose a qualiy player to rebuild our list, I would rather have lost BJ than Dal, and we have lost BJ. I think Plugger is on the mark, the club knew that to regenerate the list we needed to free up cap space and someone had to go and wanted to lose BJ. They had to lose someone on top end coin, that had currency elsewhere (Free agent draft compensation comes intot it) and who we could plan to replace by either a restrucutre or a re-jig of our game plan. A sweeping HBF/quarterback is easier than a quality inside/outside mid for us.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!