Nick Rodda!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Nick Rodda!

I believe Rodda will become to big & heavy 8 lose his mobility/agility. Would rather Aidan Corr, Michael Close or Harley Walshe with a later pick. Remember we are more than likely to select a mature ready to go state league full back as well.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The kid can hit a target by foot....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I believe Rodda will become to big & heavy 8 lose his mobility/agility. Would rather Aidan Corr, Michael Close or Harley Walshe with a later pick. Remember we are more than likely to select a mature ready to go state league full back as well.

Aiden Corr could be good in a few years but is pretty slight . He has some good signs though, he is the opposite to Rodda in that he needs to bulk out to play KP. I remember when Daniel merrett went to the Lyons he was already man sized and he was pretty much ready made. Same with Goose in someways. I know some kids come in after bullying everyone smaller at junior level but he has some ability and could keep his weight down to stay mobile. He is naturally pretty athletic.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I believe Rodda will become to big & heavy 8 lose his mobility/agility. Would rather Aidan Corr, Michael Close or Harley Walshe with a later pick. Remember we are more than likely to select a mature ready to go state league full back as well.

Aiden Corr could be good in a few years but is pretty slight . He has some good signs though, he is the opposite to Rodda in that he needs to bulk out to play KP. I remember when Daniel merrett went to the Lyons he was already man sized and he was pretty much ready made. Same with Goose in someways. I know some kids come in after bullying everyone smaller at junior level but he has some ability and could keep his weight down to stay mobile. He is naturally pretty athletic.

Would Aiden qualify on the brother to brother rule?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Would Aiden qualify on the brother to brother rule?

Is he Cathal Corr's brother? I saw he said his brother didn't make it and was determined to get there. maybe he's like the younger cloke and selwoods he might be the better one. He looks ok but needs some meat on his bones.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:The kid can hit a target by foot....
Unusual for a footballer...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

bobmurray wrote:
True Believer wrote:The kid can hit a target by foot....
Unusual for a footballer...
You would think so given the capabilities of some of our recruits.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:I believe Rodda will become to big & heavy & lose his mobility/agility.
It would surely have to be a concern for a teenager of that size. His metabolic rate will slow as he ages. He'd be far more likely to have weight issues into his twenties than a lot of the other FBs out there. The question is if he can play. Most of what I've read would suggest it's unlikely he's ready to make the jump straight away. There's a lot more to it than having the right body shape.

Brown and Frawley may impact our decision at FB. If we believe we can secure one of those two next year, we may be less enthusiastic about a long-term FB option at the draft. Even a mature option isn't likely to do any better than what Boumann did at Hawthorn or Wilkes here. I don't think we'll go off board to take a key back. Pelchen does love talls though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I believe Rodda will become to big & heavy & lose his mobility/agility.
It would surely have to be a concern for a teenager of that size. His metabolic rate will slow as he ages. He'd be far more likely to have weight issues into his twenties than a lot of the other FBs out there. The question is if he can play. Most of what I've read would suggest it's unlikely he's ready to make the jump straight away. There's a lot more to it than having the right body shape.

Brown and Frawley may impact our decision at FB. If we believe we can secure one of those two next year, we may be less enthusiastic about a long-term FB option at the draft. Even a mature option isn't likely to do any better than what Boumann did at Hawthorn or Wilkes here. I don't think we'll go off board to take a key back. Pelchen does love talls though.

AFL footballers and weight doesnt seem to be much of an issue these days. Ability is really all that matters.