The Pelican

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelican

BigMart wrote:That's what you think, good for you...

Who the hell are you writing to?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:Can you elaborate on the deal that Pelchen was unable to do that another, more capable 'employee' would have?
you miss the point.....he was labelled as the messiah...but he isn't...he's an employee with NO special powers...he couldn't get what we need most..

got it now dude...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The club at this point in time is an ugly prospect !
We haven't got much room in the salary cap , so we carn't offer anyone a huge contract to come to the club !
Our stars are ageing , so a player like caddy choosing between us and the cats picks them cos they look to have better prospects in the immediate future !
The wealthy clubs are always difficult to deal with , wanting it all and giving little in return . I think time will tell that they will benefit most from free agency , I don't think many A Grade players will leave a team like Collingwood to go too a Bulldogs .

I liked the fact we were very active in the trade period , not like carlton who didn't appear to do much .
just no-one wanted to come join us !
You carn't get quality with mid first round draft picks , perhaps if we knew we were going to get pick 13 earlier , we could have offered pick 12 & 13 for an A-grader !

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think you know, considering you replied....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think you know, considering you replied....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think you know, considering you replied....

Who would know. You are that arrogant. have you found a friend yet?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

obviously you know twice as much as you thought you did...whoever "you" are

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
bobmurray wrote:How good is the Pelican....

we went into the free agency/trade period without a Key Defender and we exited it without a Key Defender....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You are absolutely spot on. Sadly. He has a fearsome reputation as someone who can get a difficult deal across the line but he failed miserably this time. No KPD, And a backline that will continue to flounder as a consequence. But how dumb, dumb, dumb are the WCE? They have got to be the stupidest football administrators of all time. They are kidding themselves into thinking Mitch Brown is a required player. Required by whom? for what? He is going to spend the best part of next season playing for the two's in the WAFL. He is also going to be an unhappy chappy to boot. And most importantly at the end of 2013 he is going to walk away from the Weagles and they will get nothing in compensation which is what they deserve. I mean he is condemned to being some glorified emergency in the event that Glass is seriously injured. While you wouldn't wish that on anyone, for Mitch Brown's that is his only hope of playing in the AFL. I just think the decision to keep him and not allow him to go to the club of his choice was idiotic. The Weagles are Wankers.
You should take to writing novels because you have a lot to say about nothing.

I love this club
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He's just a dude named Chris...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He's just a dude named Chris...
:lol: :lol:

kimberly saint
Club Player

Brown was contracted , we put a good offer forward in crpips and 25 so they say. Wat else did you expect him to give up. Comes a point when it aint wort it. As for not getting any other key defenders in trade time maybe we did not rate and on offer high enough, maybe they are going to draft tippet brother or another state league FB they feel are better options than hooker etc...

A lot bitter supporters that expect all our problems to be solved via trade week, if only it was that easy :roll: :roll:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:Brown was contracted , we put a good offer forward in crpips and 25 so they say. Wat else did you expect him to give up. Comes a point when it aint wort it. As for not getting any other key defenders in trade time maybe we did not rate and on offer high enough, maybe they are going to draft tippet brother or another state league FB they feel are better options than hooker etc...

A lot bitter supporters that expect all our problems to be solved via trade week, if only it was that easy :roll: :roll:
that's not my point...

this site site told us the pelican was the messiah...clearly he's not

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Chris Pelchen is not the Messiah.

Chris Pelchen is not a genius.

But, Chris Pelchen is extremely competent and heads up an extremely competent team of recruiters.

And that hasn't always been the case at our club.

And that's why I was, and still am, rapt in his appointment.

saintbob
SS Life Member

If he's as good as most of us think or hope he is, surely he'd have a fall back plan.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
kimberly saint wrote:Brown was contracted , we put a good offer forward in crpips and 25 so they say. Wat else did you expect him to give up. Comes a point when it aint wort it. As for not getting any other key defenders in trade time maybe we did not rate and on offer high enough, maybe they are going to draft tippet brother or another state league FB they feel are better options than hooker etc...

that's not my point...

Pelican't

;)

Mr Murray comes into his own when things are looking a bit bleak, don't ya Bob

savatage
SS Life Member

Oh please, if Cale Hooker didn't reneg on moving to West Coast last minute - Mitch Brown would be a Saint & Chris Pelchen would be the messiah. Fact is we actually had West Coast agree to the trade, Hooker screwed us (pun partially intended). Also pretty naive to think that there isn't a plan B. There's a lot of potential movements that can take place between now and the start of Season 2013.

savatage
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

that's not my point...

Pelican't

;)

A real Ray of sunshine I've noticed.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

that's not my point...

Pelican't

;)

I'm clearly not one of the gushing flock...and i'm more than happy with that
Last edited by bobmurray on Fri 26 Oct 2012 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

People on here has overated his skill. Most people overate most people who are involved in the club. Have my doubts on Pelican.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:People on here has overated his skill. Most people overate most people who are involved in the club. Have my doubts on Pelican.
i think that it's important not to get caught up in the myth....most would struggle with that....but what can you do... :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

As the dust settles and we sit calmly and reflect, I'm very comfortable with how we went about this.

We targeted Mitch Brown, a 23 year old KPD with a lot of ability and with a desire to return home to Victoria.

The player agreed to move to Seaford. Unfortunately for us and Brown, he was still under contract.

We obviously tried to negotiate a trade with West Coast that would be beneficial to the Saints.

When that was knocked back we decided it was still worth pursuing him and decided to offer what many considered to be "overs", ie Cripps + pick 25.

But when that failed we dug our heals in. And fair enough too. We didn't panic and add pick 26 plus Stanley and Siposs to the mix.

West Coast may have bent us over but we refused to pick up the soap.

Other options have been mentioned but they were really only stop gaps at best. And they would have become superfluous had the Brown deal gone through in the end.

We'll have a far better idea of how we sit once the Draft has been completed and our list finalised.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Ray was contracted, Dees wanted him but couldn't find anything suitable. Win some lose some. When Tommy Walsh left we wondered who would be the new mesiah... I think the title of this thread gives us the answer.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:this site site told us the pelican was the messiah...clearly he's not
Who said that? If it was nobody in particular, why do you care?

Looks to me like you're upset he didn't invent a KPD out of nothing. Maybe you were expecting a messiah. You can't pin that on SS.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:As the dust settles and we sit calmly and reflect, I'm very comfortable with how we went about this.

We targeted Mitch Brown, a 23 year old KPD with a lot of ability and with a desire to return home to Victoria.

The player agreed to move to Seaford. Unfortunately for us and Brown, he was still under contract.

We obviously tried to negotiate a trade with West Coast that would be beneficial to the Saints.

When that was knocked back we decided it was still worth pursuing him and decided to offer what many considered to be "overs", ie Cripps + pick 25.

But when that failed we dug our heals in. And fair enough too. We didn't panic and add pick 26 plus Stanley and Siposs to the mix.

Other options have been mentioned but they were really only stop gaps at best. And they would have become superfluous had the Brown deal gone through in the end.

We'll have a far better idea of how we sit once the Draft has been completed and our list finalised.
I had considered it overs, but substitute Cripps for 41. 25 & 41 isn't crazy overs as far as I am concerned considering the desperation at needing a FB.

Ah well, well said by the way Doc, you are so often the voice of reason on here!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Scoop
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:As the dust settles and we sit calmly and reflect, I'm very comfortable with how we went about this.

I had considered it overs, but substitute Cripps for 41. 25 & 41 isn't crazy overs as far as I am concerned considering the desperation at needing a FB.

Ah well, well said by the way Doc, you are so often the voice of reason on here!
Indeed he is.

Might I just add, to emphasise Doc's point about the draft, there is the delisted FA, the ND, the pre-season draft and the rookie draft to go yet. Let's just see where our list is at the end of all that before we go off half cocked.

Furthermore, let's look at where our list is in 3 years time.....maybe then we can pass comment on the worth of The Pelican......

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!