Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

I am sure he will prove that he is well worth a downgraded eel 13-26 I can't believe the negativity. Yeah we had to give up our first round choice but that is what you do to get quality players! Reading Brian's post & looking at GCS it wouldn't surprise me if we actually traded 46 to them not there 47 to us!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
older saint
SS Life Member

Funny how people are saying we traded pick 13 for an unproven player - wouldn't the player we pick at pick 13 if we had kept it be unproven also?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Lot to be said for those demonstrating potential in the big league vs those with potential in juniors. Countless top 10 / top 20 picks have amounted to nothing. I have faith in pelchen

#1 Ryder fan
gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:We really don't like hanging on to first round picks...and trading them isn't something that has worked for us in the past.

I hope Lee and Hickey are more successful than Brooks, Watts and Lovett.

I guess the offer to WC will now be something like Cripps, Pick 25 and 46 for Brown and 62

High price but Emma Quail is pretty spot on usually. i like lee and don't know how I rate Hickey yet as I haven't seen enough to judge. Got to say out of our first round picks over the last decade or so only roo and armo have really been worthy. We could have got Tambling and Fiora with 12 and 13. I still think we might get some good players around in the 20s the draft has a huge middle order and a very thin front and back. Come on Pelch get me Colquhoun.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I am sure he will prove that he is well worth a downgraded eel 13-26 I can't believe the negativity. Yeah we had to give up our first round choice but that is what you do to get quality players! Reading Brian's post & looking at GCS it wouldn't surprise me if we actually traded 46 to them not there 47 to us!

Well that makes it even worse. Yes you do have to trade high picks for quality players. I dont see your point with that statement with this trade though.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Emma Quayle

Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey is on his way to St Kilda. For pick 13 and a swap of second and third round picks.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Well at least people aren't sitting on the fence. I'll be bumping this thread in a few years ;)

Like Gringo said, Emma Quayle rates Hickey as the best ruckman available when comparing to this years draft and even ahead of Grundy who supposedly is the best junior ruckman of the last decade and regarded more highly than Matthew Kreuzer (compared to when he was a junior).

Personally I'm very surprised in this trade however it does fill a major list requirement and potentially sets us up in the ruck department for the next decade.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This guy is a Queenslander who is coming here because of his girlfriend. Hope they last otherwise he could be gone before we see how good he is. By the way is this guy a sook like some accused Cripps of being for wanting to return home to be with his girlfriend?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Funny how people are saying we traded pick 13 for an unproven player - wouldn't the player we pick at pick 13 if we had kept it be unproven also?

"Now THAT really is an inconvenient truth!"

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:Lot to be said for those demonstrating potential in the big league vs those with potential in juniors. Countless top 10 / top 20 picks have amounted to nothing. I have faith in pelchen
Time will tell, but I agree. This trade stands more chance of ongoing success than a kid who might come good in 3-4 years time at Pick 13.

A lot of posters wanted some action, now it looks like they've got it.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

True Believer wrote:
Buckets wrote:Pick 13 for Hickey and we get 26 and a pick in the 40's Brian edited his original post.
Would have to be 26 &47.

we have 25, 26, 37, 46, 47

OK so we have 25, 26, 37, 57

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This guy is a Queenslander who is coming here because of his girlfriend. Hope they last otherwise he could be gone before we see how good he is. By the way is this guy a sook like some accused Cripps of being for wanting to return home to be with his girlfriend?
C'mon mate please don't derail the thread. That's the last I'm gonna say on the matter. :D

savatage
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Buckets wrote:Pick 13 for Hickey and we get 26 and a pick in the 40's Brian edited his original post.
Would have to be 26 &47.

we have 25, 26, 37, 46, 47

Not sure that's the case. Emma Quayle's tweet mentioned a swapping of 2nd & 3rd round picks , nothing too specific - I'm curious to know exactly what picks we've gained/lost.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Lot to be said for those demonstrating potential in the big league vs those with potential in juniors. Countless top 10 / top 20 picks have amounted to nothing. I have faith in pelchen
Time will tell, but I agree. This trade stands more chance of ongoing success than a kid who might come good in 3-4 years time at Pick 13.

And a lot of posters reckon Collingwood is winning everything during Trade period.

Imagine if Hickey had gone to the Pies for pick 20.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA is set to land the ruckman is desperately craves with Tom Hickey on the move from Gold Coast in exchange for pick 13.

The Saints and Suns will also swap later picks to seal the deal.

More to come...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/departm ... 6501802290

savatage
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:

And a lot of posters reckon Collingwood is winning everything during Trade period.

Imagine if Hickey had gone to the Pies for pick 20.
I'm not sure I would've had such an issue with it - I was really hopeful that under no circumstance we would trade our pick 13.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
Not sure that's the case. Emma Quayle's tweet mentioned a swapping of 2nd & 3rd round picks , nothing too specific - I'm curious to know exactly what picks we've gained/lost.
Its starting to sound like:

Lose: Picks 13 & 46
Gain: Hickey & pick 26

kos
Club Player

Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!
Pick 25, 26, 37 think Ross, newnes and mark worth. Well done saints!

savatage
SS Life Member

This year we could've picked the next Cyril Rioli as well! Better chance of picking the best talent with the earlier selections yes?

savatage
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
savatage wrote:
Its starting to sound like:

Lose: Picks 13 & 46
Gain: Hickey & pick 26
I suspect you are right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!

We had different recruiters then. And the 3 you named have 5 games between them. A bit early to call.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

savatage wrote:This year we could've picked the next Cyril Rioli as well! Better chance of picking the best talent with the earlier selections yes?
Trade week is not done yet. I reckon we may trade for picks yet!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

savatage wrote:
Not sure that's the case. Emma Quayle's tweet mentioned a swapping of 2nd & 3rd round picks , nothing too specific - I'm curious to know exactly what picks we've gained/lost.[/quote]

Well GC 2nd round is 26, so we get that and they get our 3rd round. So either 46 (3rd rounder we got from GWS) or our original 3rd round (57) which would make some sense if GC don't intend to use it.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!
Look, I would be far more disappointed if we had given picks 12 & 13 away for 'ageing' stars. Both Tom Lee and Tom Hickey are still very young and could potentially fill two major list needs for the next decade. They've also got a few years of development playing senior footy so will be a lot closer to being in our best 22 (if they make it) than 18 year olds fresh out of high school.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Has everyone forgotten what happened when Ben was injured last year?
We desperately needed another ruckman. Now we have one.
If we can get a full back I will be happy with this trade/draft period.

Filling obvious gaps in our list with players that will get senior selection is a win for me.