What would you say to Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: What would you say to Brown

Honour your contract, you agreed to it...

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:You will never have to play in the same side as Dawson or be coached by Lyon.
OR face the impossible task of having to keep Kosi under control!
Thats weird? Many players love playing under him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
savatage
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Honour your contract, you agreed to it...
Not the most enticing way of getting him to the Saints.

That's like me asking a girl out on a date, using the opening like "you're fat". It's probably not going to work.

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
busso mick wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:haha,

Herald Sun headline : Desperate Saints recruit Eagles bad boy discard
Does this qualify?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... -incident/

Awkward if we draft Mason Shaw.
LMAO!!!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Come down-town Mitch Brown!

Just tell him he wont have to pay $5 for a frickin latte, wont get killed by a shark doing his recovery and he can play in the AFL not the WAFL.

He will be on the first flight!
What would the shark be recovering from?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:

That's like me asking a girl out on a date, using the opening like "you're fat". It's probably not going to work.
I guess you can kind of get the vibe that I'm underwhelmed at the prospect of picking up a guy who's played 51 games in 6 years.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

"Help us get Ash Smith to St Kilda this year and we'll pick you up next year"

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
savatage wrote:

I guess you can kind of get the vibe that I'm underwhelmed at the prospect of picking up a guy who's played 51 games in 6 years.
And who, when more than 100 fanatical West Coasters picked their best 22 for next year, appeared in how many of those sides? yup 0. Strong and slow, one for the gorillas and resting ruckmen. He wouldn't play 22 for us in any year even if we did land him.

savatage
SS Life Member

That's exactly why Watters wants him, for the gorillas & resting ruckman. The types that kicked goals against us & made us lose games.

I know you're saying he hasn't played much football - but when an All Australian Captain is in his spot, you'd imagine that's quite a tough proposition.

You could use the same "didn't play many games" arguement for Ivan Maric or Heath Scotland - but they've been more than handy at their second clubs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:That's exactly why Watters wants him, for the gorillas & resting ruckman. The types that kicked goals against us & made us lose games.

I know you're saying he hasn't played much football - but when an All Australian Captain is in his spot, you'd imagine that's quite a tough proposition.

You could use the same "didn't play many games" arguement for Ivan Maric or Heath Scotland - but they've been more than handy at their second clubs.
I actually mean he hasn't played much football, as in at both levels...missed heaps with injury.

savatage
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
savatage wrote:That's exactly why Watters wants him, for the gorillas & resting ruckman. The types that kicked goals against us & made us lose games.

I actually mean he hasn't played much football, as in at both levels...missed heaps with injury.
That's not true at all. Yes he broke his thumb & missed a run of games in 2011 - but he's averaged close to 19 games a season overall for the past 3 seasons, including 23 games this year. Not exactly missing heaps of football.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we could do better out of the draft, with either Tanner Smith or Tom Clury. I wont be upset if we miss out on Brown.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

That's a bit like taking a girl back to your place after dinner and as you lower the lights and put on the mood music, you say "you know, I really think you should save yourself for marriage:.....

It indicates that you were dropped on you're head as a child, and shouldn't be in the room representing our club with a potential recruit.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think we could do better out of the draft, with either Tanner Smith or Tom Clury. I wont be upset if we miss out on Brown.

Both those guys will be good players but probably in 4 years. brown has done the apprenticeship and is a genuine stand shoulder to shoulder and win the contest back. Zac got killed when we had those Hall types or Cloke/ Dawes just lean shoulders on him. He was great on the buddy types because he could spoil and run with the quick guys. Brown would have helped us when Ross was coaching us even. He's slow and lumbering but that's the point we need that type because we can use guys like Dempster and Simpkin on the running tall forwards but gwilt was constantly being shunted under the ball or giving away frees trying to fill the role.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
SainterK wrote:

That's not true at all. Yes he broke his thumb & missed a run of games in 2011 - but he's averaged close to 19 games a season overall for the past 3 seasons, including 23 games this year. Not exactly missing heaps of football.
That's certainly one way of looking at it...

Or you could say 51 games at senior level in 6 years, missing approx 40 weeks of footy through injury (18 weeks without the ACL)

I'm certainly cautious on this one.

savatage
SS Life Member

You just said he missed plenty of football at both levels, I just refuted that with stats (60 games in the last 3 seasons isn't missing a lot of football).

I've got no problem if you don't rate him or don't want him at the club - but when you say something that just isn't true, it's not fair to say that.

andrewg
Club Player

Not sure this would work SainterK.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:You just said he missed plenty of football at both levels, I just refuted that with stats.

I've got no problem if you don't rate him or don't want him at the club - but when you say something that just isn't true, it's not fair to say that.
Sorry, but if you don't think it's fair to say he has missed a lot of footy, then I don't know what to say.

I'm aware of the stats, they were posted on bigfooty...

2007 - 5 games AFL, not sure about seconds level
2008 - ACL missing entire season
2009 - 19 AFL games
2010 - 13 AFL, 5 WAFL
2011 - 6 AFL, 6 WAFL
2012 - 8 AFL, 14 WAFL

FQF
SS Life Member

He would certainly be worth having to play against all the teams that have an appropriate match up. I think at least half of the competition at least have a suitable match up, probably more.

No one is suggesting we play him on forwards who will clearly exploit his weaknesses.

savatage
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
savatage wrote:You just said he missed plenty of football at both levels, I just refuted that with stats.

Sorry, but if you don't think it's fair to say he has missed a lot of footy, then I don't know what to say.

2009 - 19 AFL games
2010 - 13 AFL, 5 WAFL
2011 - 6 AFL, 6 WAFL
2012 - 8 AFL, 14 WAFL
Rather than copying stats off someone's post on Big Footy, why don't you look it up yourself?

I limited it to the last 3 years because anything further is irrelevant (even though in the 4th year, 2009 he played 19 AFL games to further support my arguement).

We should care as much about a player missing a whole season of football in 2008, as much as Essendon should care that Goddard did his knee a few years ago or us that Lenny did his. It's completely irrelevant. I capped it to the last 3 years because if recent injury form is good, then we shouldn't be worrying about anything that occured say 6 years in the past.

In those 3 years, the correct stats are:

2010: 5 WAFL games, 13 AFL games = 18 games
2011: 8 WAFL games, 6 AFL games = 14 games
2012: 15 WAFL games, 8 AFL games = 23 games

=55 games, average of just under 19 games a year. A thumb injury that cost him the most time off (in 2011) isn't going to impact him going forward.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SainterK wrote:

2009 - 19 AFL games
2010 - 13 AFL, 5 WAFL
2011 - 6 AFL, 6 WAFL
2012 - 8 AFL, 14 WAFL
Sorry SK, but 71 game sin 4 seasons at an average of nearly 18 games per year seems pretty good to me. Opportunity for senior games if a different issue, and if you want to question his quality fine, but I think it's hard to question his durability, particularly if most the footy he missed in the last 4 years was due to a broken thumb!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Totally agree K! If he can't get out of the contract, then, yes he should honour that contract.
however, True Believer wrote:That's a bit like taking a girl back to your place after dinner and as you lower the lights and put on the mood music, you say "you know, I really think you should save yourself for marriage:.....
Another way to look at it... if she's a real class act and you do actually want to marry her... then that could be a winning approach? I heard it worked a treat for you TB... 8-)

Maybe it's all about balancing concepts and practicalities (and credit card balances)...? :wink:
True Believer wrote:It indicates that you were dropped on you're head as a child, and shouldn't be in the room representing our club with a potential recruit.
Or alternatively... to me it indicates that K strongly values loyalty and commitment. Sure, whilst not always the easiest or most pragmatic approach... ya gotta really admire it. :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"You look a little bit like that bloke at Collingwood"

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
SainterK wrote:

2009 - 19 AFL games
2010 - 13 AFL, 5 WAFL
2011 - 6 AFL, 6 WAFL
2012 - 8 AFL, 14 WAFL
Rather than copying stats off someone's post on Big Footy, why don't you look it up yourself?

I limited it to the last 3 years because anything further is irrelevant (even though in the 4th year, 2009 he played 19 AFL games to further support my arguement).

We should care as much about a player missing a whole season of football in 2008, as much as Essendon should care that Goddard did his knee a few years ago or us that Lenny did his. It's completely irrelevant. I capped it to the last 3 years because if recent injury form is good, then we shouldn't be worrying about anything that occured say 6 years in the past.

In those 3 years, the correct stats are:

2010: 5 WAFL games, 13 AFL games = 18 games
2011: 8 WAFL games, 6 AFL games = 14 games
2012: 15 WAFL games, 8 AFL games = 23 games

=55 games, average of just under 19 games a year. A thumb injury that cost him the most time off (in 2011) isn't going to impact him going forward.
Thanks for bothering to do that...

Though you could of posted those earlier instead of letting me walk in front of a bus :P

I still am cautious.

felix
Club Player

Come on Sainter k , do you really think he will be a dud.....you have me worried now !