Well done Tom curren!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

class of 2010
Club Player

Re: Well done Tom curren!

A few have mentioned poor footskills as something that may hold tommy back, but given that he plays the inside mid role I reckon his skills are pretty good. He reminds me of a (probably less good) version of chris judd with his ferocity on the ball as well as the burst of speed to break outside. Juddy doesnt have the greatest skills in the world but has proven that in an inside role you dont need to have skills like dal. Watching that highlight reel he looks as though his skills are pretty awesome though :p

oh when the saints
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

class of 2010 wrote:A few have mentioned poor footskills as something that may hold tommy back, but given that he plays the inside mid role I reckon his skills are pretty good. He reminds me of a (probably less good) version of chris judd with his ferocity on the ball as well as the burst of speed to break outside. Juddy doesnt have the greatest skills in the world but has proven that in an inside role you dont need to have skills like dal. Watching that highlight reel he looks as though his skills are pretty awesome though :p
As he's the sort of bloke that likes to hang around the club 365 days of the year, maybe this is something he could work on.

Last year it was the pecs; this year it may be the kicks 8-)

class of 2010
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
class of 2010 wrote:A few have mentioned poor footskills as something that may hold tommy back, but given that he plays the inside mid role I reckon his skills are pretty good. He reminds me of a (probably less good) version of chris judd with his ferocity on the ball as well as the burst of speed to break outside. Juddy doesnt have the greatest skills in the world but has proven that in an inside role you dont need to have skills like dal. Watching that highlight reel he looks as though his skills are pretty awesome though :p
As he's the sort of bloke that likes to hang around the club 365 days of the year, maybe this is something he could work on.

Barlow taught himself how to kick on the left the pre-season before he joined the dockers as the story goes, so its not impossible! I'm really excited by him, he stepped it up playing against afl listed vfl players this year, I reckon he has the tools to succeed in the afl...just not sure if it's in vogue to have a shortie in the middle, and I'm not sure if he's suited to small back/forward

oh when the saints
gringo
Saintsational Legend

class of 2010 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Barlow taught himself how to kick on the left the pre-season before he joined the dockers as the story goes, so its not impossible! I'm really excited by him, he stepped it up playing against afl listed vfl players this year, I reckon he has the tools to succeed in the afl...just not sure if it's in vogue to have a shortie in the middle, and I'm not sure if he's suited to small back/forward

someone forgot to tell Sam Mitchell

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx
Hard work pays off for Curren

Tom Curren wants to use his accolade of being named Sandringham’s 2012 Best and Fairest winner to drive his game forward next year.

The 20-year-old Saints Rookie listed player said after years of pushing himself to play some of his best football he is humbled to receive the award.

“It’s funny actually playing junior football at Mt Eliza from under 11s to under 16s I was runner up every year to different people, but this is the first time I’ve actually won, so it feels good to finally win!” Curren said.

“It’s good to work hard and get rewarded, so hopefully that will keep pushing me and help me to achieve my goals in the future.”

St Kilda recruiting manager Tony Elshaug congratulated the youngster on his achievement but said it is no surprise that he is performing well on the field.

“He is very diligent and his preparation is second to none,” Elshaug said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Curren, who will enter his third year as a Rookie at the Saints next season, is doing all he can in the off-season to improve his fitness, in the hope of being able to compete against the senior players.

“I find the off-season is a good opportunity to catch up on the older boys who are already in the team setting the bench mark, so I try to chase down a few of them and try to get in front.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
class of 2010
Club Player

Sam Mitchell is certainly someone tom would model himself on. Sam's a pretty special player though!

oh when the saints
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Top stuff! Sam Mitchell the 2nd I hope!

savatage
SS Life Member

class of 2010 wrote:A few have mentioned poor footskills as something that may hold tommy back
Absolute myth!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
class of 2010 wrote:A few have mentioned poor footskills as something that may hold tommy back
Absolute myth!!!!!
I think a lot of people get carried away with this sort of stuff.

It's simply not possible to have a team with 22 elite kicks. You need lots of different types of players who are able to do a lot of different things. What you want is the kicking abilities to range bewtween elite and good.

Clint's kicking skills are poor; so are Sam Gilbert's at times. From what I've seen Tom's are nowhere in that territory.

Let's not simply look at guys like BJ and Siposs and mark down those who aren't up to those high standards.

If Tom Curren ends up being the worst kick in our side then I'll be happy.

class of 2010
Club Player

I guess that's what I was getting at in a roundabout kind of way, his skills are up to afl standard, whilst not at goddard or dal's. If he gets opportunities he'll be fine :)

oh when the saints
patto
Club Player

My labourer is mates with Curren. He just text me saying he spoke to him just before and Watters told Tom he'll be getting good game time next year... Will be elevated..

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

patto wrote:My labourer is mates with Curren. He just text me saying he spoke to him just before and Watters told Tom he'll be getting good game time next year... Will be elevated..
:) :) :D

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think the best thing out of the B&F is the high position of a KPP backman in Ferg. Very hard for KPP backman to poll well in any footy club but to come 6th show how highly he was rated by the coaches.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think the best thing out of the B&F is the high position of a KPP backman in Ferg. Very hard for KPP backman to poll well in any footy club but to come 6th show how highly he was rated by the coaches.
I know you have been a fan for a while now. Havent seen much of him. Do you have an opinion of him for next year?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think the best thing out of the B&F is the high position of a KPP backman in Ferg. Very hard for KPP backman to poll well in any footy club but to come 6th show how highly he was rated by the coaches.
I know you have been a fan for a while now. Havent seen much of him. Do you have an opinion of him for next year?

Maybe an upgrade especially if GWS show some interest. Hopefully they have enough young kids. Doubt he will play much next year but he should do so in the future. Very fast for a big guy and certainly backs himself.

Saintersss
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: You really know that much about the guy?
He was a rookie and couldn't be considered for selection. Maybe they kept him as a rookie for his development.
If he wins a B&F at 20 beating 2 former listed AFL players then I'd say he'd have to have a fair bit of ability. Give the guy a break and some acknowledgement!

Mate, if you read my first post you would have seen me give him some praise and acknowledgement, I just said he has a lot to work on. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on a player?

And yes he was a rookie, so was Dunell, that didn't stop him from getting games despite his small frame.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

Maybe an upgrade especially if GWS show some interest. Hopefully they have enough young kids. Doubt he will play much next year but he should do so in the future. Very fast for a big guy and certainly backs himself.
Ah yeah, i will need to watch him more next year. he was a NSW scholarship player, is that right?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
savatage
SS Life Member

Correct. I think he was 15 when we took him.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Correct. I think he was 15 when we took him.
He has 'grown up' for sure, big boy now...mature as well.

I think he should be elevated, but hey...what do I know.

Can't wait to see him in the NAB cup.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Curren played half the season as a 19 year old
How many 19/20 year olds won club best and fairests in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL ?
Not that many I would think, and any that do will get drafted

Could see him playing 22 games next year, taking Jones' spot....
Last edited by SuperDuper on Fri 05 Oct 2012 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His disposal is very neat. Far from poor.

He is a very impressive young player.... Better than Cripps, possibly Ledger too....

Quick acceleration, goal sense, defensive side, hardness, find the ball... I reckon he's a player.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not to mention his reported work ethic and proffesionalism which is just as good as anyone's going around.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Not to mention his reported work ethic and proffesionalism which is just as good as anyone's going around.

http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx

A Perferctionist

Good work TC

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
PJ
SS Life Member

Would love this guy to get the upgrade - he exemplifies "team first"

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.