Jay Lever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noob
Club Player

Re: Jay Lever

Maybe he is the James Wall type at williamstown who played at casey?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jay Lever will play as many games as Sam Crocker....

We also drafted
Phil Raymond
Josh Houlihan
Justin Sweeney

Recruiters don't always get it right do they now....

I reckon they thought they had potential....

Why don't we check out Jays performance this season.... I think he managed three senior games....
He might have got in the best once or maybe twice in the reserves....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

JB

Did our recruiters see

Sweeney or Raymond play a game??

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jay Lever will play as many games as Sam Crocker....

We also drafted
Phil Raymond
Josh Houlihan
Justin Sweeney

Recruiters don't always get it right do they now....

I reckon they thought they had potential....

Why don't we check out Jays performance this season.... I think he managed three senior games....
He might have got in the best once or maybe twice in the reserves....
Our current recruiters are performing much better than back then. Picks like Raymond, Sweeney and Howard were reckless, low-percentage selections based on an impressive game here and there in low-quality leagues. Now they're tending to play it safe and logical with early picks and looking for players with big upside and flaws that can be rectified with later picks. Some of them will work out, some won't, but there's a very clear (and intelligent) pattern in our recruiting with late picks

Look at
Siposs: great size, amazing skills - poor work rate and endurance
Ledger: fast, finds the ball, great in clearances - lacking endurance, rushes kicks
Dunell: good size, natural footballer, good skills - lacking size and conditioning
Crocker: elite skills, fast - very slight, lacking endurance
Shenton: good aggression, natural goalkicker - lacking endurance, fades in and out
Webster: super quick, good height and skilled - very skinny, undeveloped
Curren: great work rate, tough, finds the ball - vanilla ball use, no outside game

Obviously not all of them will work out, but the strategy is sound. Then there is..

Lever: tall, quick, good footskills - very skinny, lacking confidence

I don't think you can say that Lever won't make it just because he was a speculative pick from our recruiters. Yes in the past a late St Kilda pick usually meant Bevo had seen an impressive run or goal in the bush, but they're now taking calculated risks on players with big upside.

This year he was a good 6-8 kgs from being a VFL senior player and I don't think you can judge him until he at least gets to a competitive weight. He's as tall as McEvoy and lighter than Milney.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why don't we check out Jays performance this season.... I think he managed three senior games....
Khan Haretuku played 3 senior games and 31 thirds games in his two full years on our rookie list. He's now being talked up as a serious draft prospect. Maybe it takes big blokes a little bit more time to mature?