Steven Salopek

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven Salopek

CURLY wrote:
bobmurray wrote:The more spuds we offload, the more people want to replace them with spuds...

No wonder we don't win premierships......
None of us do our recruiting or any other clubs Id say. I wouldnt havee taken Leigh Brown as he was a spud probably wouldn't have taken Rys Shaw both where rated as spuds . Salopek can play why he isn't playing well at the highest level is the question.
he's a spud...IMHFO

Watters is not Ross Lyon, he doesn't recruit role players or spuds....i await the new intake with interest

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

That may be true. I still have no issues with coaches or recruiters having a crack at getting the best out of a mature player.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
andrewg
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:The more spuds we offload, the more people want to replace them with spuds...

The spud Hawthorn midfielder josh Kennedy goes alright

The spud Cousins might have got us over the line in 2009

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

NO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote: The spud Cousins might have got us over the line in 2009
Or at least done us a line :wink: :P

andrewg
Club Player

Not to mention

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:

The spud Hawthorn midfielder josh Kennedy goes alright

The spud Cousins might have got us over the line in 2009

Nothing wrong with Josh Kennedy

I think Cousins was more a flake than a spud

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
andrewg
Club Player

Was being facetious regarding Kennedy to prove my point the recycled players can be great given another change. Kennedy is a champ

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Not to mention

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray
How many of those players were struggling to get a senior game in a state league at 27?

Salopek would be another Dean Polo. A promising youngster whose career ended up being a disappointment; if we took him he might play 5-10 games, maybe a couple of good ones and then get the axe in a year or two. We've been through this cycle enough. We have three very, very promising inside midfield prospects in Ledger, Ross and Curren and they should be given every chance to establish themselves rather than being held back by plodder rejects. Salopek isn't quick, he isn't durable, his defensive game is ordinary and he couldn't crack into the perhaps the worst midfield in the league for a single game this year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray
How many of those players were struggling to get a senior game in a state league at 27?

Salopek would be another Dean Polo. A promising youngster whose career ended up being a disappointment; if we took him he might play 5-10 games, maybe a couple of good ones and then get the axe in a year or two. We've been through this cycle enough. We have three very, very promising inside midfield prospects in Ledger, Ross and Curren and they should be given every chance to establish themselves rather than being held back by plodder rejects. Salopek isn't quick, he isn't durable, his defensive game is ordinary and he couldn't crack into the perhaps the worst midfield in the league for a single game this year.
+1

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray

None of us know that for sure. Can't compare two different players and assume the same thing will happen good or bad.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray

Sounds like a spud to me...

andrewg
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:

Patful
J Hill
McGuire
Dew
Rodan
Krakour
S Mitchell
F Ray

fair but depth wins grandfinals and so does on and off field leadership. look at Mlbourne, too many young players not enoguh leaders.
Salopek's lack of selection had nothing to do with form. Miss management and a fall out with the coach didnt help his cause. Port are and have been basket case.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't really matter how good he is - he's 27. We just don't need 27 year olds at this stage in the cycle. He won't play in our next premiership and in the mean time he'll take games from Cripps, Ledger, Ross, etc.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i'd only take in the national/pre season draft, with our last pick if everything else we want is gone

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:i'd only take in the national/pre season draft, with our last pick if everything else we want is gone
I would go one step further and say mature aged rookie only. He is not what we should focus on in the trade/draft period.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:You can believe me or not that's fine
The two players I know family are Salopek and BJ, know much more about Sal though.

Again doesn't matter if you believe me, IMO I still think he will be an asset for us.
It's fair to say mate that having a family connection to a player really clouds your ability to make an unbiased call on a player. Has happened to me a few times too, where you see all the upside and no downside cause you know and like them.

Must be pretty shattering for guys like this who go top 10 in a draft, expecting to become superstars only to find yourself dropped to the SANFL twos... Surely he must be going pretty badly for that to eventuate, not just a port coaching issue?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

FFS some clowns on here know three fifths of FA about football :roll:

Fancy calling recycled players spuds.

That Dempster is a real spud isn't he?

Schneider a spud?

What about Gardiner?

Glad we got rid of that spud Guerra.

As for Salopek - no thanks - he is a spud :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:FFS some clowns on here know three fifths of FA about football :roll:

Schneider a spud?

What about Gardiner?

What about Matthew Bate from the Dees. He could be handy.

On second thoughts, forget it. He's a carrot :P

busso mick
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:FFS some clowns on here know three fifths of FA about football :roll:

Schneider a spud?

What about Gardiner?

Sounds like a potato plague their JB :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:

Schneider a spud?

What about Gardiner?

At least nobody called Chips a spud :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
busso mick wrote:

Schneider a spud?

What about Gardiner?

At least nobody called Chips a spud :D
Unfortunately those bastards called Frawley one; and to his face :twisted:

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

If he hadn't been recorded as being a Saints supporter as a kid I wonder if anyone on here would have shown the least bit interest in him?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Unfortunately those bastards called Frawley one; and to his face :twisted:

So true Doc.

How disrespectful.

Lance or James??

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Unfortunately those bastards called Frawley one; and to his face :twisted:

So true Doc.

How disrespectful.
Zac Dawson must have been the new Frawley, had the same nickname, played at Full Back. :D