Why we are hated ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why we are hated ....

I read it it's perhaps a lopsided Veiw of our club ... But the thing I find interesting in all this since the equalisation of the comp from things like the draft and salary caps those big clubs have not been as dominant as they were in the early days in fact it's funny how the vast majority of or much laughed about wooden spoons come from an era where only the rich prospered , in the same light Richmond have done nothing since the comp was evened out Carlton had to cheat to win during that period and collingwood also only managed 2 flags in that time ... Teams didn't like getting beaten by the easy beat teams like us and perhaps we have been guilty of being arrogant during our period of somewhat success but out arrogance is nothing on what we have copped from the likes of Carlton essendon over the years and yes we were passionate to the point of being somewhat feral but again our feralness is nothing on that of Collingwood or Richmond over the journey .. So why do other teams hate us ? Who the f cares is my feelings let em hate us make me love us all the more

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah! let 'em hate us!!! (it shows we're on the right trajectory!) I read the article and cutting through all the bias, there was a fair bit of truth there, regarding the "professionalism" (or lack of same) at the club. I honestly think that during the last ten-twelve years this club has dragged itself from being a total joke, and the butt of scorn, to one where steady progress has been made, and continues to be made. Lets not be precious about who "likes" us or otherwise, it matters not a hoot once those guys are out on the paddock!
Personally, I couldn't give a "Blight's toss bag" about being "hated" or "loved" I just know I LOVE this club and its supporters!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SPOT-ON! (again!) Whiskers me boy!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Interesting in the article Blight wanted to get rid or Harvey Loewe and Burke ... This was in 2000 Loewe played for another 2 years so maybe warranted ... Burke another 3 so yeah maybe ... Harves only played for another 8 years after that !!! You knob head blight you would have cheated us out of seen Harves 8 years early !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Interesting in the article Blight wanted to get rid or Harvey Loewe and Burke ... This was in 2000 Loewe played for another 2 years so maybe warranted ... Burke another 3 so yeah maybe ... Harves only played for another 8 years after that !!! You knob head blight you would have cheated us out of seen Harves 8 years early !!
Just wanted to repeat the formula that worked at Adelaide.
Talk about no plan B!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:don;t reckon it's tall poppy syndrome.
More like disdain at our ability to stuff up in ever increasing bizarre ways.
Good point.

There seems to be a number of non-supporters who seem pretty tired of the "same old, same old St.Kilda" that chokes time after time.

It is similar to that of the Chicago Cubs in Major League Baseball.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

As Dave said - we have spawned from PURE CULTURE - and the rest envy that!
They may have had great teams - they may have won more flags - but they lack personality, passion and every footy game has been like a holiday for us foir a long time - it has been pure entertainment. And we are still here and love it and - secretly - I think this is why some people hated Lyon - he made us boring - and professional - and predictable - the very things we have never been - and despised in other clubs.
When I did those teams in the Two Teams thread I realised at the end that both teams had totally dominant forwards lines - full of brilliant flashy players - lots of Brownlows in each - but lacking in dour defensive boring players who actually end up in premiership teams - like Maxwell - boring - predictable - dry and seemingly talentless.
We are NOT like that at our core - our soul is ALIVE - we are waiting for the next exciting star to rise!
But does this stop our success?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:What a load of crap!

Why then, after being a life long footy tragic following Fitzroy almost religiously, did I choose the saints once my proud club folded (taken over, merged :roll: ) to follow? So did my younger brother. I always thought the saints were a rough and tumble lot when I followed the Roys. I loved their flair, their supporters passion, the excitement of their players, ie Lockett, Harvey, Winmar etc.

Which true football supporter has a soft spot for any other team? I don't. The article is a load of rubbish
I did have a soft spot for Freo - and actually hoped that they would keep winning this year and make a grand final. I always disliked the Royboys for the simple and sufficient reason that they always beat us, even when Lockett, Winmar and Greg Burns were on fire.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

All the AFL fans who I meet who don't like the Saints seem to have two main gripes.

1. That we allegedly tanked for draft picks in the 1999-2002 period (paradoxically, these people will often also express the view that Tim Watson was the worst coach in football history).

2. The Ross Lyon tactic of strangulation, which they admire, but which they see as bad for football because it will eventually drive spectators away.

Most football followers don't know anything about the historical stuff this writer goes on about, and many don't even recall the period when the Saints were seen as having a bad "culture". The teams that have been seen as having a bad culture in recent years are the Eagles (now fixed) and the Pies.

After our poor season, I don't think there's much negativity around towards the Saints ATM

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yaysaints
Club Player

Supporters hate their rivals and like easy-beats. Do you think people fear the dogs or pity them ?
As Machiavelli said "its better to be feared than loved"
The way to become umpopular to opposition supporters is to beat their team. I'd rather
the dislike we have today, than the amusing joke we were in the 80's.
Couldn't give a damn if we are liked, as long as we are respected.