Josh Caddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Josh Caddy

dragit wrote:
#1GILL wrote:i'd much prefer Kane Lucas who is the sort of midfielder we could use, highly talented, and still young.
Why Kane Lucas? could barely break into the Carlton side which struggled for most of the year… when he did, averaged under 10 touches a game.
Lucas ws often the sub or subbed out, which affected his average.

I think he's a good fit because he has good pace, and good footskills. He's just a classy player, and would fit into our midfield well. He has been unable to break into Carlton's midfield, but so has Bryce Gibbs. When he has played, it's been off half-back or half forward. I think if he was given a chance to play on a wing or on ball he would thrive.

And given that to this point he hasn't performed overly well, his price would be reasonable. Plus he has had a few years in the system already. Kane Lucas would walk straight into our team and offer something straight away IMO.

Obviously the chances of us actually getting him are slim to none, because he's a named I just pulled out of no where and I doubt Carlton would be keen to trade him given his upside, but if the opportunity were there I would think he'd be a great pickup.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:Kane Lucas would walk straight into our team and offer something straight away IMO.
I don't think he'd be ahead of any of Cripps, Milera or Siposs. Certainly not enough of an upgrade to justify trading an asset. I think we're deep enough inside and out that we can hold our picks and take the BPA.

Caddy would be seventh in the onball rotations - sixth if BJ leaves. He'd be competing for time with Ross and Ledger. Again, not enough of an upgrade to justify the trade.

Toy is the interesting one because he fits a need. His last two years aren't encouraging though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Toy is the interesting one because he fits a need. His last two years aren't encouraging though.
what need does toy fill? i can't say i remember ever seeing him play, but he's 185/87, so he's not a tall which is our primary need. isn't he just another small/medium defender? don't we have a few of those?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:isn't [Toy] just another small/medium defender?
It would appear so. For some reason I had in my head he was hyped as a CHB type.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rexy
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
bergholt wrote:isn't [Toy] just another small/medium defender?
It would appear so. For some reason I had in my head he was hyped as a CHB type.
Big hair early on made him look taller!
Lol

Maybe this year?
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:http://m.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/st-k ... 6468446873

Also confirms Mini delisting
Can we read into this that the club is preparing for BJ to leave? Because I couldn't see us making a play for him any other way.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://m.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/st-k ... 6468446873

Also confirms Mini delisting
Can we read into this that the club is preparing for BJ to leave? Because I couldn't see us making a play for him any other way.
They might be happy to use our first pick regardless… Not a terrible conversion - pick 12 into a pick 7 with 2 years development.

He looks like becoming a very good goal kicking mid.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be very happy with Caddy as a replacement for BJ... & still have our 1st pick to add another good young player to the new generation.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I'd be very happy with Caddy as a replacement for BJ... & still have our 1st pick to add another good young player to the new generation.
Me too, take emotion out of it and we get a 19 year old goal kicking mid replacing a 27 year old back flank utility… who to be honest has been pretty inconsistent for a lot of his career.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I'd be very happy with Caddy as a replacement for BJ... & still have our 1st pick to add another good young player to the new generation.
Me too, take emotion out of it and we get a 19 year old goal kicking mid replacing a 27 year old back flank utility… who to be honest has been pretty inconsistent for a lot of his career.
Could be any thing but hasnt really lived up to the hype

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
dragit wrote:
Could be any thing but hasnt really lived up to the hype
He's 19. kicked 15 goals this year, averaged 16 or so touches… pretty decent coming from a side that has been flogged every week.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Caddy also had his debut season wrecked by injury so 2012 was in effect his 1st year.

Opportunities to acquire kids with his talent don't come along very often.

Get Lenny & Roo up to see him ASAP!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

This is the sort of trading that should be done. Other than injury this is basically a no risk trade.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintWodonga
Club Player

All is speculation, all rumour.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:If we're looking at Caddy, we may as well look at Lucas Cook and Jordan Gysberts from melbourne

Cook is 20, draft pick 12 in 2010 draft is 196cm, and 81kgs

Gysberts is 21, was draft pick 11 in 09, is 190cms, and 84kgs

Both are apparently unhappy at Melbourne, and who wouldn't be

To add to it they would come cheaper than Caddy
I saw Cook play for Casey in a couple of finals and im not really that impressed. I dont think he would add much.

For the record I think if a package deal can be done with Caddy and Hickey coming to us and say pick 12 and a player to GC it would be fantastic.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

With Josh Fraser gone - just wondering why the GC would want to lose Hickey? He is also born and bred in QLD. They would be insane to let him go.

Josh Caddy on the other hand.... BRING HIM ON SAINTERS!

defacto
Club Player

i havent seen caddy play but there seems to be alot of hype surrounding him. i remember last trade week, essendon tried to get him.

what type of player is he? is he any good?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:i havent seen caddy play but there seems to be alot of hype surrounding him. i remember last trade week, essendon tried to get him.

He's an absolute bull. Not a prolific ball-winner, but has reasonable disposal and can rack up decent numbers. Is a good overhead mark for his size, very strong hands. Excellent extractor of the ball and a known goal-kicker. Tackles quite well also. I'd say he's a little like Jimmy Bartel. Lots of similar traits. Whether or not he has the abiliity to become the champion that Jimmy is remains to be seen, but at the very least he'll be a B+ grader. All indications are that he'll push on and become a gun though.

defacto
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
defacto wrote:i havent seen caddy play but there seems to be alot of hype surrounding him. i remember last trade week, essendon tried to get him.

He's an absolute bull. Not a prolific ball-winner, but has reasonable disposal and can rack up decent numbers. Is a good overhead mark for his size, very strong hands. Excellent extractor of the ball and a known goal-kicker. Tackles quite well also. I'd say he's a little like Jimmy Bartel. Lots of similar traits. Whether or not he has the abiliity to become the champion that Jimmy is remains to be seen, but at the very least he'll be a B+ grader. All indications are that he'll push on and become a gun though.
what would we have to give up?

Richter
SS Life Member

Perth Now wrote:OFF-CONTRACT Gold Coast midfielder Josh Caddy is still wrestling with his future, with St Kilda understood to be the frontrunners for his services.
Presumably because we can offer GC our first round pick whereas Essendon will need to use their's to pick up the Father/Son Daniher boy.

Do people see why we must moderate what we offer BJ now? Very important what we scrape together every $$ in order to be able to compete for the likes of this lad.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Austinnn
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Rosco wrote:yes. then sneer at essendon (caddy & ross).
and dunnell
and Milney.

And Lovett.

I'll get my coat. :(

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd say he's almost certainly a contingency plan for BJ leaving. If Goddard stays then surely we'll need to use our first round pick on a tall, but if he leaves and we get pick 13, then I think we'd gladly trade it to GC for Caddy (and possibly swap picks to get Hickey).

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

what would we have to give up?
He was pick 7 two years ago. Nothing to suggest that he's worth too much less than that now, though certainly wouldn't be worth pick 7 this year. I'd say pick 12 would be required, and we'd probably have to sweeten the deal too.

The thing that has escaped most people proposing trades though is the fact the GC have to make lots of cuts this year because their list is shrinking back to normal size. This means that deals where they recieve two players/picks for one player/pick does not suit them. In fact, the opposite will be what they seek. So, if indeed we do make a play for Caddy, I'd imagine that they'd want to package something with him so that their list doesn't grow even more considering we would likely need to offer up more than pick 12.

Given we have allegedly shown interest in Hickey, perhaps we will seek a trade where we acquire both Hickey and Caddy. Perhaps pick 12 + Gilbert for both of them plus one of their later picks that they won't use (3rd,4th round) which would still be handy for us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert just signed a longterm deal with the Saints so I would suggest he is out of the equation. I realise he can still be traded if both parties agree but won't happen.