We have 4 players who are far too good for VFL...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: We have 4 players who are far too good for VFL...

groupie1 wrote:I actually reckon, to add to your point, that its not the Gold Coasts and GWSs that these kinds of players might appeal to, but the mid-range but still young clubs with little depth - Richmond comes to mind - that think they have a shot of taking their side into the eight but just need to top up with a few hardy experienced players. Polo would go great at Richmond, right now, for example, ironically. Peake would do well with the Doggies. Role players. If their attitude is right they can slot in nicely to a team for which they feel they can add something missing... as opposed to trying to fill in a void that is too big for them. So, I agree with you, we should be trying to trade them out, but to the Richmond/Bulldogs types.
Disagree with this... This is exactly what we did in the RL years, which led us to this lack of players in the 22-26 age group... 'Role players' is one of my most hated phrases in modern footy...

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

As far as Dean, Raph, Brett and Beau go, I'm pretty sure they would all want to stay Saints! They'd show their true colours. :D ... and that's why I love them ...

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
groupie1 wrote:I actually reckon, to add to your point, that its not the Gold Coasts and GWSs that these kinds of players might appeal to, but the mid-range but still young clubs with little depth - Richmond comes to mind - that think they have a shot of taking their side into the eight but just need to top up with a few hardy experienced players. Polo would go great at Richmond, right now, for example, ironically. Peake would do well with the Doggies. Role players. If their attitude is right they can slot in nicely to a team for which they feel they can add something missing... as opposed to trying to fill in a void that is too big for them. So, I agree with you, we should be trying to trade them out, but to the Richmond/Bulldogs types.
Disagree with this... This is exactly what we did in the RL years, which led us to this lack of players in the 22-26 age group... 'Role players' is one of my most hated phrases in modern footy...

Every team has them. Even the top sides. Matter of fact I heard Nick Maxwell Say the other day on SEN that every side has at least maybe 2 defensive forwards. Not sure I agree with him but that was what he said and I reckon he has me covered for knowledge of AFL footy.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

Every team has them. Even the top sides. Matter of fact I heard Nick Maxwell Say the other day on SEN that every side has at least maybe 2 defensive forwards. Not sure I agree with him but that was what he said and I reckon he has me covered for knowledge of AFL footy.
Doesn't every player have a role to play. But seriously isn't the term "defensive forward" really a weazle word created by coaches for coaches. Incidently which coach coined the phraise?

Austinnn
Club Player

Maybe what he meant was forwards who provide decent defensive pressure to keep it in their team's Fwd50? I'm thinking about Aaron Hamill and Ahmed Saad, those types.

Dunno who does that for the pies though.

But yea, every team needs role players, or utilities as they used to be called.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

You have defensive forwards like Jordan Lewis who can kick a bag on their day, and you have defensive forwards like Eddy who play a role for the team that involves very little actual football ability.. Essentially playing 1 man down when we have the ball...

Play a footballer in an arranged 'role', fine, but dont play a 'role player' that can't actually play at the level in a football team...

defacto
Club Player

i'm interested to read big marts comments

Austinnn
Club Player

that makes one of us.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i'm interested to read big marts comments
God, you must be very bored…

groupie1
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
So actually, you AGREE with me, we should be trying to trade these players out.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
So actually, you AGREE with me, we should be trying to trade these players out.

Tell me you are joking thinking clubs would trade for them. We will delist them so why would they trade for them? Like people saying if we trade BJ we need to get a couple of first rounders for him. He can go for nothing.

I doubt we would get anything for Gram or Kosi let alone those 2 mentioned.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I think we would...

Massive KPF shortage.

Gram has played 11 games and probably gets to exercise his renewal clause?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I think we would...

Massive KPF shortage.

Gram has played 11 games and probably gets to exercise his renewal clause?

Gram isnt a KPF though. By the way wasnt saying we should get rid of either just saying they arent worth anything to any other side.