Contracts talks are open with BJ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: Contracts talks are open with BJ...

his stocks are falling quicker than the euro.

he looks down, a look of a man who knows he's lost. silvagni and gubby allen are smart. they would know the exact role goddard plays and what he is worth. i doubt they'd be interested in giving goddard 600k+

right at this momemt he is worth no more than 450k for 2/3 years. he knows it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

suss
Club Player

Will be good value at $600k. He is absolutely A grade elite and worth every cent. He certainly could've commanded $800k+ at the end of 2010.

I, unlike others around here, won't write him off because of a few poor games.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:his stocks are falling quicker than the euro.

he looks down, a look of a man who knows he's lost. silvagni and gubby allen are smart. they would know the exact role goddard plays and what he is worth. i doubt they'd be interested in giving goddard 600k+

right at this momemt he is worth no more than 450k for 2/3 years. he knows it.
Who are some of you trying to kid? Of course he is worth $600K. This form slump won't last and how in the hell do any of us know what issues he is experiencing with his body at the moment?

Seriously, if you think that GWS or Freo (or any other club that could afford him) would pass BJ up because he is asking for $600K a year, you are cleary delusional.

By the way, who is saying that he is asking for $600K? BJ is passionate and loyal to the St Kilda football club. Some of our supporters should take a leaf out of his book.....
Last edited by saint75 on Tue 24 Jul 2012 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
jays
Club Player

who nos what is going on

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

suss wrote:Will be good value at $600k. He is absolutely A grade elite and worth every cent. He certainly could've commanded $800k+ at the end of 2010.

Good call Suss! I was actually surprised that BJ would settle for between $550K - $600K - worth a lot more than that. If Cloke could get $800K, add another zero to BJ's pay!

To be honest, I thought he'd be on his way out at the end of the year given his performances this year that have been so unGoddard like - he's lacked the confidence, spirit and passion we're used to seeing from him. Looks like it might have just been a form slump after all..can happen even to the best players.

Despite the fact that so many of us on here have tried to sell him off to GWS, Suns and everywhere else, BJ has ALWAYS maintained that he wanted to stay at St.Kilda and we should have believed him.

I'm predicting he's going to celebrate his 200th this weekend in style....go BJ!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Watts the Buzz wrote:
suss wrote:Will be good value at $600k. He is absolutely A grade elite and worth every cent. He certainly could've commanded $800k+ at the end of 2010.

Good call Suss! I was actually surprised that BJ would settle for between $550K - $600K - worth a lot more than that. If Cloke could get $800K, add another zero to BJ's pay!

To be honest, I thought he'd be on his way out at the end of the year given his performances this year that have been so unGoddard like - he's lacked the confidence, spirit and passion we're used to seeing from him. Looks like it might have just been a form slump after all..can happen even to the best players.

Despite the fact that so many of us on here have tried to sell him off to GWS, Suns and everywhere else, BJ has ALWAYS maintained that he wanted to stay at St.Kilda and we should have believed him.

I'm predicting he's going to celebrate his 200th this weekend in style....go BJ!

If Cloke is worth 800k then BJ is worth 400K. BJ is a receiving HBF and when tried to play in other positions, struggles. Cloke who like BJ is out of form is a KPP who commands the ball. Really people are looking through one eye if the think BJ deserves anywher near the money Cloke is on. 600k is to much for BJ and at that price I would nearly let him go and take a punt on us snaring a couple of good free agency players. He is a 500k at best player at best. I base that I reports Lenny has never earned more than 500k and is and has always been a better player than BJ.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yeah and also if BJ was on $8,000,000, the cap would become very tight…
Leaving only around $780,000 for the other 37 or so players - around 20K each,
IMO BJ and 21 rookies would be a poor side.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Watts the Buzz wrote:

If Cloke is worth 800k then BJ is worth 400K. BJ is a receiving HBF and when tried to play in other positions, struggles. Cloke who like BJ is out of form is a KPP who commands the ball. Really people are looking through one eye if the think BJ deserves anywher near the money Cloke is on. 600k is to much for BJ and at that price I would nearly let him go and take a punt on us snaring a couple of good free agency players. He is a 500k at best player at best. I base that I reports Lenny has never earned more than 500k and is and has always been a better player than BJ.
well summed up plugger.

the other issue for goddard is he hasnt showed any form in 2011/2012 when moved into the midfield or into a key position. when he is tagged he is easily shut out of the game.

defacto
Club Player

dragit wrote:Yeah and also if BJ was on $8,000,000, the cap would become very tight…
not sure what youre on about

dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
dragit wrote:Yeah and also if BJ was on $8,000,000, the cap would become very tight…
not sure what youre on about
THIS!!!
Watts the Buzz wrote:If Cloke could get $800K, add another zero to BJ's pay!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: If Cloke is worth 800k then BJ is worth 400K. BJ is a receiving HBF and when tried to play in other positions, struggles. Cloke who like BJ is out of form is a KPP who commands the ball.
If thats the breakdown, then what would you value Petrie at?.. For mine he is a better player than Cloke, the only difference is the color of the stripes on his jumper and related media exposure..

There are plenty of KPP who demand the ball, just aren't that good... See Cloke's mate Dawes... He isn't worth more money just because of his position (the fact that he'd a spud is a debate for another time)..

IMO BJ and Cloke are worth about the same, 500-600K... I'm not sure what BJ's role in the team is going forward, and I'm hoping that he is in a form slump, and hasn't hit the wall physically... He does look awfully slow of late...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote: If Cloke is worth 800k then BJ is worth 400K. BJ is a receiving HBF and when tried to play in other positions, struggles. Cloke who like BJ is out of form is a KPP who commands the ball.
If thats the breakdown, then what would you value Petrie at?.. For mine he is a better player than Cloke, the only difference is the color of the stripes on his jumper and related media exposure..

There are plenty of KPP who demand the ball, just aren't that good... See Cloke's mate Dawes... He isn't worth more money just because of his position (the fact that he'd a spud is a debate for another time)..

IMO BJ and Cloke are worth about the same, 500-600K... I'm not sure what BJ's role in the team is going forward, and I'm hoping that he is in a form slump, and hasn't hit the wall physically... He does look awfully slow of late...

I am unsure you base contracts just on 16 weeks. lets face it if Cloke was out of contract at the end of last year he would be way ahead of Petrie. Petrie has clearly been better this year but I think Cloke at his best is clearly ahead of Petrie. I cannot see how a HBF can be worth the same as a very good KPP. Kosi is reported to be on some stupid amount because is a KPP. Cloke as bad as he has been this year has still been nearly twice as good as Kosi. Cloke is a B&F winner and AA. He is more than just KPP that demands the ball. He gets it as well.

savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Watts the Buzz wrote:

+1

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
bergholt wrote:
how would you measure performance, though? brownlow votes? B and F finishes?
Certainly not hard ball gets... cause Goddard may owe us a few bucks...
This was a hard ball to get :wink:

Yes it certainly was.... I wonder at the comments on Goddard's contested poss by some supporters. Not that stats are everything, but here are some of his numbers this year, I couldn't be bothered looking up more, same pattern really.

v NM 20 poss - 10 contested
v GC 23 poss - 7 cont
v Rich 25 poss - 6 cont
v WC 23 poss - 10 cont
V Swans 25 poss - 11 cont Rnd 9

*Champion Data stats courtesy H-Sun..........................

So much for not finding his own footy :shock:

Like Goddard's salary range the media are guessing - may not even be those figures at all. Didn't stop some supporters putting up big $$ figures for Luke Ball's last year - when it was clearly a back-ended contract.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 24 Jul 2012 9:16pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
suss
Club Player

To take a leaf out of your book p66, what the hell has Travis Cloke got to do with it? We're discussing the value of B Goddard.

Ordinarily your posts make sense. I note you say 'nearly' too - that's very non- committal! Either he's worth it or he ain't.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:To take a leaf out of your book p66, what the hell has Travis Cloke got to do with it? We're discussing the value of B Goddard.

Ordinarily your posts make sense. I note you say 'nearly' too - that's very non- committal! Either he's worth it or he ain't.

I didnt bring Cloke into it. Maybe you should read a few other posts above it first. I also have stated I wouldnt pay over 500k for BJ.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:To take a leaf out of your book p66, what the hell has Travis Cloke got to do with it? We're discussing the value of B Goddard.

I didnt bring Cloke into it. Maybe you should read a few other posts above it first. I also have stated I wouldnt pay over 500k for BJ.
$500K would still buy a lot of Subway :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Teflon wrote:[Certainly not hard ball gets... cause Goddard may owe us a few bucks...
This was a hard ball to get :wink:

Yes it certainly was.... I wonder at the comments on Goddard's contested poss by some supporters. Not that stats are everything, but here are some of his numbers this year, I couldn't be bothered looking up more, same pattern really.

v GC 23 poss - 7 cont
v Rich 25 poss - 6 cont
v WC 23 poss - 10 cont
V Swans 25 poss - 11 cont

Like Goddard's salary range the media are guessing - may not even be those figures at all. Didn't stop some supporters putting up big $$ figures for Luke Ball's last year - when it was clearly a back-ended contract.
Either those stats are wrong or the definition of a contested possession should be in dispute.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:If Cloke is worth 800k then BJ is worth 400K. BJ is a receiving HBF and when tried to play in other positions, struggles. Cloke who like BJ is out of form is a KPP who commands the ball. Really people are looking through one eye if the think BJ deserves anywher near the money Cloke is on. 600k is to much for BJ and at that price I would nearly let him go and take a punt on us snaring a couple of good free agency players. He is a 500k at best player at best. I base that I reports Lenny has never earned more than 500k and is and has always been a better player than BJ.
Well put Pluggs.

I hope BJ stays. But, the club also has to be realistic and not pay overs...

BJ's form slump is lasting close to two seasons now, and he's into his late twenties... Those two facts suggest to me that his best is behind him. $400-450K would not only be fair, but actually generous..., and more of a thank-you for past heroics, than a reflection of his (most probably) future potential. Yeah, I know that sounds harsh, but it also seems realistic...

As for Cloke and his relevance to this topic... if BJ is to be in the touted $800K price range, then I'd take a Cloke-for-BJ swap in an instant. Put Cloke in our forward line alongside Roo, and I reckon that all those games this year that we coulda'/shoulda' won..., well I reckon we woulda' won (at worst) most of them... that's the relevance...

Questions for those who've been to training and/or have the inside knowledge...
Does BJ move as slowly at training as on match days?
Is there an underlying injury problem to explain a few things?
At training, are his team mates as 'dispasionate' towards him as they seem to be on the field?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

v GC 23 poss - 7 cont
v Rich 25 poss - 6 cont
v WC 23 poss - 10 cont
V Swans 25 poss - 11 cont

As suspected they are wrong.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Gee people read a lot into things. The bloke's a gun. He's in a form slump. He'll bounce back. He'll be at the Saints for life. The club aren't stupid, they won't over pay him. Simple as that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:As suspected they are wrong.
You're thinking of Marlin fishing in tiny shorts and thongs again aren't you Cairnsman? It's all very confusing isn't it?

paddy
Club Player

think the stated value is about right...

however i think people, who are implying he has had only a quiet few games, are kidding themselves... he has had a quiet season or 2....

however his 'quiet' is still a walk up start... so he is worth a fair bit, however he is no where near as important as dal ATM

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Gee people read a lot into things. The bloke's a gun. He's in a form slump. He'll bounce back. He'll be at the Saints for life. The club aren't stupid, they won't over pay him. Simple as that.
Ross Lyon anyone. But seriously probably the RL departure is the most recent example of how negotiations breakdown. It's very common for each side of the table to take a much different stance on how much they value the product/service.

If the deal doesn't get done then the obviousl conclusion will be that the club wasn't willing to accept what was being asked and Goddard will be able to fall back on the media reports stating he wanted to stay. It's how the PR machine earns it's keep. Doeas all of todays media give us any further clue as to which way it will go.