Scott Waters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott Waters

plugger66 wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:I commented last year, that the Coaching Appointment "panel" and the 'process" looked very good and that we should put some faith in its ability to make a good choice of coach (especially when R. Harvey was in the mix). Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think that our "panel/process" is likely to have got us the best of the new coaches this year. :wink:

Reckon Adelaide may disagree.
The Crows supporters would agree with you and at least you can hang your hat on that!!!

Adelaide's list is on the cusp and I don't see how Sando has had any influence there...Sure, Adelaide's ladder position would have most coaches awards going to him if they can maintain a top 4 spot, but you'd like to take all other factors before making a decision for this year and the years ahead.

Don't discount the emerging players on the Adelaide list. West Coast didn't need a change of coach to turn things round from their disastrous 2010 did they? Kennedy, Darling, Shuey and host of other talented youngsters getting games experience and the emergence of NicNat and some of their experienced blokes getting back from injury, is the main factor to WC resurgence.

With Walker and Porplyzia on their forward line they are a different team and their midfield is now an elite unit. Put it this way; right now would you prefer Roo and Kosi or would you prefer to have Walker and Tippett? Would you prefer Armo and Steven or would you prefer Dangerfield and Sloane?

At the moment, I reckon our coach has done a great job. The team is performing better than at this time last year, we are getting games into Simpkin, Saad, Newnes, Sipposs and other young draftees and Stanley, Armo and Steven have lots of room for improvement. Scott Watters has a tremendous challenge ahead considering the age of our list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:I commented last year, that the Coaching Appointment "panel" and the 'process" looked very good and that we should put some faith in its ability to make a good choice of coach (especially when R. Harvey was in the mix). Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think that our "panel/process" is likely to have got us the best of the new coaches this year. :wink:

Reckon Adelaide may disagree.
The Crows supporters would agree with you and at least you can hang your hat on that!!!

Adelaide's list is on the cusp and I don't see how Sando has had any influence there...Sure, Adelaide's ladder position would have most coaches awards going to him if they can maintain a top 4 spot, but you'd like to take all other factors before making a decision for this year and the years ahead.

Don't discount the emerging players on the Adelaide list. West Coast didn't need a change of coach to turn things round from their disastrous 2010 did they? Kennedy, Darling, Shuey and host of other talented youngsters getting games experience and the emergence of NicNat and some of their experienced blokes getting back from injury, is the main factor to WC resurgence.

With Walker and Porplyzia on their forward line they are a different team and their midfield is now an elite unit. Put it this way; right now would you prefer Roo and Kosi or would you prefer to have Walker and Tippett? Would you prefer Armo and Steven or would you prefer Dangerfield and Sloane?

At the moment, I reckon our coach has done a great job. The team is performing better than at this time last year, we are getting games into Simpkin, Saad, Newnes, Sipposs and other young draftees and Stanley, Armo and Steven have lots of room for improvement. Scott Watters has a tremendous challenge ahead considering the age of our list.
Seriously some people are that one eyed and also talk in hindsight that it amazes me. I could bet you had us ahead of Adelaide at the start of the season as most people would have but all of a sudden after they keep winning and in hindsight we can see this amazing list that didnt seem to exist 16 weeks ago.

Watters is doing a very good job but as far as ladder postion is, we arent any better than I reckon most people thought. Yes we are playing a good brand of attacking footy and some young guys have come on but defensively we are just fair and that is half the reason we are 6 and 6. Adelaide have lost 2 games and even their most ardent supporters would be more than surprised. At the moment Sanderson is clearly the best first year coach with Buckley clearly second. Watters is then clearly third.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Newspapers and footy shows have to have content, so that's one of the main things they discuss, but it's just a guessing game isn't it? I'm not paid to 'guess' ladder positions so I don't engage in speculating who will finish in the top 8 before the year even starts. I normally don't have a bet until midway through the season either...

I notice you said 16 weeks and not 12 weeks ago, because there were some small signs emerging in the Nab cup that Adelaide were going to be big improvers. Obviously Craig played favourites with some of his players and the fact that he didn't play Tex Walker in the team was a mistake.

Adelaide is clearly stronger with Walker where perhaps Tippett doesn't always get the best defender, so that helps his game. The heat is off Tippett as he's not the only option with both Walker and Porplyzia in and he doesn't feel as much pressure as the main go-to forward anymore. Their midfield as I said before, was well known to be emerging as an elite unit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I'm not paid to 'guess' ladder positions at the start of the year so I don't engage in speculating who will finish in the top 8 before the year even starts.

I notice you said 16 weeks and not 12 weeks ago, because there were some small signs emerging in the Nab cup that Adelaide were going to be big improvers. Obviously Craig played favourites with some of his players and the fact that he didn't play Tex Walker in the team was a mistake.

Adelaide is clearly stronger with Walker where perhaps Tippett doesn't always get the best defender, so that helps his game. The heat is off Tippett as he's not the only option with both Walker and Porplyzia in and he doesn't feel as much pressure as the main go-to forward anymore. Their midfield as I said before, was well known to be emerging as an elite unit.

Yes I said 16 weeks because actually thought Sanderson coached them in the NAB cup or shouldnt that count as part of his coaching. And I also thought part of coaching is working out the good and bad players.

And nice try in not admitting where you had Adelaide and the Saints before the start of the year. I will take that as you having us ahead of Adelaide atthe start of the season as most experts did.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:I'm not paid to 'guess' ladder positions at the start of the year so I don't engage in speculating who will finish in the top 8 before the year even starts.

Yes I said 16 weeks because actually thought Sanderson coached them in the NAB cup or shouldnt that count as part of his coaching. And I also thought part of coaching is working out the good and bad players.

And nice try in not admitting where you had Adelaide and the Saints before the start of the year. I will take that as you having us ahead of Adelaide atthe start of the season as most experts did.
Do you want everyone to conform? Just because you do it, does that mean every else should? We're not all into supercoach, Dreamteam and all that other modernday 'engage the fans' bizzo are we?

You don't have to believe me, but don't insinuate stuff or make things up...Like I said, I don't play the 'ladder guessing game' before the start of every season!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you want everyone to conform? Just because you do it, does that mean every else should? We're not all into supercoach, Dreamteam and all that other modernday 'engage the fans' bizzo are we?

You don't have to believe me, but don't insinuate stuff or make things up...Like I said, I don't play the 'ladder guessing game' before the start of every season!!

So in your mind you had no opinion where we would finish. Alright then. I will have to go with experts then.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Alas, after careful consideration, I have arrived at the conclusion, that Scott (Watters) is our worst coach since Malcolm Blight.