Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

Con Gorozidis wrote:so what did minson say? 'i porked ur mum' or something? i dont reackon that is bad at all.
as long as it wasnt racist. then who gives a toss. people say that to me all the time!
Really? No one ever says that to me. Maybe you should have a word with your mum.

Hey come on Con, I was joking. Don't take offense. Ah, you're not going to report me are you? Jeez, Con...

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like the days of teaching "sticks and stones may break my bones" are gone. So does that mean you can't knock hessian underware anymore?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Sounds like the days of teaching "sticks and stones may break my bones" are gone. So does that mean you can't knock hessian underware anymore?

Thank god or we would have racist, religous or attacks on family members and people would think that is OK.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:oh god not this again. there is a difference. anyways i aint going there.
where is dr spaceman with is mike moore photo :-)

"I'm not touching this one!"

:)

Austinnn
Club Player

It's funny how this issue keeps coming up on here and it's usually the same names for and against, including myself.

We should form debating teams perhaps. Interesting point that Joffaboy made; has anyone had their mind changed on a forum? Why do we bother arguing if we're not willing to consider that the other person might be right? Praise be to football, uniting so many different people.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Sounds like the days of teaching "sticks and stones may break my bones" are gone. So does that mean you can't knock hessian underware anymore?

Thank god or we would have racist, religous or attacks on family members and people would think that is OK.

Who would have ever thought. P66 is a God botherer.

Austinnn
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Sounds like the days of teaching "sticks and stones may break my bones" are gone.
I think there is definitely still a point in teaching children that phrase, I certainly will when Austinnn Jr is growing up. There just has to be an acknowledgment of a line between words that are off limits. There have always been taboos, even in the rough old days. The difference between then and now may be that whereas before, most of society could agree on where to draw that line, now the line has moved, but some of society don't accept that, so there is less agreement.

When you hear someone insult you or your people, maybe you take it and it says to you that you have the green light to use similar abuse yourself, as per Redeemer's query about using "white man" or whatever. "Hey I was called Fatty for 12 years at school, so if I can take it, some black fellas should be able to suck it up when I call them the N-bomb." Don't you think there's even a little bit of deep-seated trauma there? Wouldn't the world be better without that trauma? Why encourage it?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

You want to sledge opposition players with stuff that pushes boundaries (as Minson has done more than once)??

Fine..but you take your chances...if the recipient laughs it off and just tells you to STFU and get a kick..yay..but if they dont..you wear the consequences.

Did Minson know for a fact that Pearces Mum wasnt dangerously ill in hospital?? That she'd been sexually abused in the past? Kinda makes it a bit less funny doesnt it.

Pearce had every right to complain should he choose to. Minson rolled the dice and lost...suck it up princess.

He's got form anyway for well and truly crossing the boundaries. Abused Kane Cornes a couple of years ago with a reference to his disabled child. Classy eh?

Clearly theres an element of the AFL that thinks this way too. He was given a huge whack on Twitter yesterday/today by a current Port player and Nicole Cornes herself.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:so what did minson say? 'i porked ur mum' or something? i dont reackon that is bad at all.
as long as it wasnt racist. then who gives a toss. people say that to me all the time!
Really? No one ever says that to me. Maybe you should have a word with your mum.

Hey come on Con, I was joking. Don't take offense. Ah, you're not going to report me are you? Jeez, Con...
You know what i think of you austinn? You are a real nunderflub!
I didnt want to say it but you forced it out of me!

Austinnn
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:When black people call white men 'white fellas' is that racist? or better yet 'white man'?
A good person to read about this point is John Barnes, ex-Liverpool FC player and Jamaican:

“White players always said to me: ‘You can call me ‘a white so and so’, I don’t mind’. But that’s because society has indoctrinated us over the past 400 years to think that that’s like saying ‘you handsome so and so’. That’s why white players aren’t offended. They’re empowered. Black people aren’t empowered; 99 per cent of black individuals would be offended being called ‘a black so and so’ because we’ve had 400 years of being dehumanized."

Hence Winmar's famous (and contentious apparently) proclamation that he was Proud to be black. But you can only take so much, no matter how proud you are. Especially when the insults come with real aggression and hostility. And history.

Hence why Brit is not as insulting as P*ki and so on. Obviously it's only 230 years of dehumanization in the case of Australian Aborigines, but the concept is the same. White fella; ouch, right? It hurts, don't it? Hey if I can take it so can they, can't they? Ideally, no one would have to take that abuse, black or white or whatever. Wouldn't you prefer that? Or would you rather live in a world where we could just break into violent fights with each other to relieve the crushing boredom of life without war and animalistic release?

That full interview is available here, on the website of British paper The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... shift.html

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

saint66au wrote:You want to sledge opposition players with stuff that pushes boundaries (as Minson has done more than once)??

Fine..but you take your chances...if the recipient laughs it off and just tells you to STFU and get a kick..yay..but if they dont..you wear the consequences.

Did Minson know for a fact that Pearces Mum wasnt dangerously ill in hospital?? That she'd been sexually abused in the past? Kinda makes it a bit less funny doesnt it.

Pearce had every right to complain should he choose to. Minson rolled the dice and lost...suck it up princess.

He's got form anyway for well and truly crossing the boundaries. Abused Kane Cornes a couple of years ago with a reference to his disabled child. Classy eh?

Clearly theres an element of the AFL that thinks this way too. He was given a huge whack on Twitter yesterday/today by a current Port player and Nicole Cornes herself.

+1 well said

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Austinnn wrote:You know what i think of you austinn? You are a real nunderflub!
I didnt want to say it but you forced it out of me!
good one
:lol:

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: Clearly theres an element of the AFL that thinks this way too. He was given a huge whack on Twitter yesterday/today by a current Port player and Nicole Cornes herself.
Which player?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote: No one is banning anyone for thinking, but society now is trying to find ways of discouraging people to upset other people and get away with it.
I understand and generally agree with your point, very well made...

However the above stands out to me, and is a growing issue in society..

What is wrong with upsetting people??... It is distinctly different to vilifying someone with any sort of verbal abuse...

As an example if my young employee gets upset because they are spoken to when they stuff up at work (and when I say 'spoken to', I mean it in a professional, encouraging manner, not necessarily a lecture), how, and why, should this be avoided?.. Surely there is some benefit in upsetting people sometimes for their personal development...

Little children should be upset every so often, make them learn that things must be earned and valued.. Otherwise, getting what they want and never getting upset will create a poor adult...

It's a fine line that needs to be crossed every now and again IMO...

Austinnn
Club Player

I totally agree. I think proving yourself has also been a driving force in many successful people's lives. Comfort is, to a certain degree, stagnation.

When I said 'upsetting people' I meant 'insulting people in a personal way not based on their actions but uncontrollable elements like their family, their skin, their orientation or beliefs, etc.'

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

You have twice made comments about my family on here??

Is that OK??

One Poster on here made a comment of Sexual nature about my family, no action was taken.....

People in glass......

Austinnn
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Plugger

Is that OK??

One Poster on here made a comment of Sexual nature about my family, no action was taken.....

People in glass......
I don't think being called a self aggrandizing m*therf*cker qualifies.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Plugger

Is that OK??

People in glass......

I never have. You made that up. Please dont make up things. If me saying you can leave your wife for me is making comments on your family you have serious problems. Well if the glove fits. Now please dont lie to the people on here about what I said. cant stand liars.

PJ
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:When black people call white men 'white fellas' is that racist? or better yet 'white man'?
A good person to read about this point is John Barnes, ex-Liverpool FC player and Jamaican:

“White players always said to me: ‘You can call me ‘a white so and so’, I don’t mind’. But that’s because society has indoctrinated us over the past 400 years to think that that’s like saying ‘you handsome so and so’. That’s why white players aren’t offended. They’re empowered. Black people aren’t empowered; 99 per cent of black individuals would be offended being called ‘a black so and so’ because we’ve had 400 years of being dehumanized."

Hence Winmar's famous (and contentious apparently) proclamation that he was Proud to be black. But you can only take so much, no matter how proud you are. Especially when the insults come with real aggression and hostility. And history.

Hence why Brit is not as insulting as P*ki and so on. Obviously it's only 230 years of dehumanization in the case of Australian Aborigines, but the concept is the same. White fella; ouch, right? It hurts, don't it? Hey if I can take it so can they, can't they? Ideally, no one would have to take that abuse, black or white or whatever. Wouldn't you prefer that? Or would you rather live in a world where we could just break into violent fights with each other to relieve the crushing boredom of life without war and animalistic release?

That full interview is available here, on the website of British paper The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... shift.html
Nice contribution Austinnn

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

OK

You have never made any mention...cough, cough

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:OK

You have never made any mention...cough, cough

Is mentioning you should leave your wife for me having a go at your wife. No so you are a liar. Please dont lie. Actually it is pathetic to lie to try and make a point. Easy to prove you didnt lie. Find a post. You will not as you are lying or dumb. Your choice.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If someone said that to you in your workplace you'd probably snot them. Unfortunatly you're not allowed to in AFL anymore,that's the real injustice here

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Okay, Mamma jokes are out…

are homo jokes still okay?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:If someone said that to you in your workplace you'd probably snot them. Unfortunatly you're not allowed to in AFL anymore,that's the real injustice here

I dont get your point. What are you saying?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Heard somewhere between " I r$#@d your mum" to his old man must have r$#@d his mum -suggesting the only way he'd get born. Added to the stuff about Cornes disabled daughter and it's hitting the bottom of the barrel even to me and I was always a fan of humorous sledging when I played competitive sport.

I think he thought he was going around the laws of what he could get away with but stuffed it up. Oh well there's a cheap back up ruck available at the end of the year.