VFL RD 9 - Sandy Vs Geelong -Reviews

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: VFL RD 9 - Sandy Vs Geelong -RADIO - Scores

How did Schindes & Gwilt play?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ledger???

“Yeah….nah””
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Surley CLARKE has to come in replace Gilbert this week?

Ledger to replace Armitage who cant play two reasonable games in a row.

Kosi will have to ruck most of the game - with Fisher taking Blakes position down back.

Our lack of a competitive ruckman and a large key defender has cost us three games this year - I cant belive our list managers and coaching staff were so f...ng stupid to believe we would get by with the current list. For me someone should lose their job over it - it has cost us the ability to remain competitive!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Surley CLARKE has to come in replace Gilbert this week?

Ledger to replace Armitage who cant play two reasonable games in a row.

Kosi will have to ruck most of the game - with Fisher taking Blakes position down back.

Our lack of a competitive ruckman and a large key defender has cost us three games this year - I cant belive our list managers and coaching staff were so f...ng stupid to believe we would get by with the current list. For me someone should lose their job over it - it has cost us the ability to remain competitive!

Well I think you have picked 3 guys that wont be dropped. Sam was pretty good but made a few errors. Blake has to be one of the ruckmen and Armo will definately play. maybe need to work on other players.

To the top
SS Life Member

It was a big ask on Simpkin - but what was the option?

No doubt pushing rucks forward is the tactic against us and particularly with McEvoy out.

With McEvoy we can structure with Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Stanley forward meaning opposition rucks will need to pay attention to the defensive zone and particularly if we can win the clearances as we did in the second half this afternoon (we really excelled at the clearance work in the second half with a full on and fierce presence).

I note on the VFL Site that Clarke was best for Sandringham - and he will now automatically return to the side.

We also need Gwilt and Fisher in our defensive zone because, quite frankly, when the game was there to be impacted on from the start the likes of Geary and Blake and Dempster (and then Wilkes) in our back half were caught in the spotlight and found seriously wanting. They could not make a contest and they butchered our zoning allowing their opponents to run free as easy forward options. It really resembled a practice session for West Coast until our mid field began to dominate.

No doubt Dempster does not play to his height - and the pressure was on him to play to his height this afternoon and he failed. This afternoon we had too many defenders who rely on being the spare defender to get a disposal - they can not win contested disposals or negate the ball.

On this afternoon's performance, Wilkes is not an AFL footballer.

I still rage at Milne running off the contest looking for the "gift" shot on goal from the work of others - he should learn from both Milera and Saad who go straight at the ball and make winning the ball their first objective. Plus Milne can learn from those 2 that your disposals when not firing on goal need to find a St Kilda player or give advantage to a St Kilda player. Milne's field disposals this afternoon were pathetic at absolute best. A spearing pass inside the 50 to a West Coast player with no St Kilda player within 20 metres of him was unfortunately typical.

Some of the free kicks paid to particularly the ruckman with the dreadlocks and the other ruckman resulting in goals were gifts which caused my hosts to apologise! The free to number 20 when he was not the competing ruckman at the boundary throw in and collided hip and shoulder with Blake was unbelievable. Another goal to the umpires!

Generally the umpiring bordered on straight out cheating (who did the Greek supremo have has money on this week, noting he was not present at the game?) and the acknowledgement was that West Coast were significantly advantaged and to match winning dimensions.

It was not only what was paid it was what was not paid going the other way.

The umpires umpired to the crowd and the name. And to West Coast players continually appealing for free kicks and attempting to umpire the game to engage crowd pressure on the incompetent umpires.

You would assume that most sides will lose to West Coast in Perth (with their 21 players on the field) so the loss is not as serious - altho my impression is that West Coast are soft around the contests and are vunerable.

But we need Fisher, Clarke, Gwilt, McEvoy and now Stanley back ASAP - and that will allow us to structure to assist Simpkin which is the first requirement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lots of words again. Little said but you did get Milne in. Missed you last week after Milne kicking 4.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote: Our lack of a competitive ruckman and a large key defender has cost us three games this year - I cant belive our list managers and coaching staff were so f...ng stupid to believe we would get by with the current list. For me someone should lose their job over it - it has cost us the ability to remain competitive!
Seeming you are so passionate and knowledgable about this topic - What be your suggestion on who we should have traded for/brought in??

As for not being competitive ...... Whatever drugs you are injecting you seriously need to stop

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote: Our lack of a competitive ruckman and a large key defender has cost us three games this year - I cant belive our list managers and coaching staff were so f...ng stupid to believe we would get by with the current list. For me someone should lose their job over it - it has cost us the ability to remain competitive!
Seeming you are so passionate and knowledgable about this topic - What be your suggestion on who we should have traded for/brought in??

As for not being competitive ...... Whatever drugs you are injecting you seriously need to stop

Perhaps I should start, it would help me with having to deal with people like yourself D-head!

You don't think that if we had a Cox and Glass/Mckenzie playing for us we wouldn't be a flag chance again?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Perhaps I should start, it would help me with having to deal with people like yourself D-head!

You don't think that if we had a Cox and Glass/Mckenzie playing for us we wouldn't be a flag chance again?
Yet you haven't answered the question I put forth to you - haven't even come close to answering it intelligently

Seriously where in the world were we going to get a Glass McKenzie and Cox in the last two drafts - the list managers and coaching staff have changed if you hadn't noticed

Either go and have a lie down before your head explodes or explain to everyone on this forum why the current list managers and coaches are at fault

sasaint
Club Player

Results from the game

Goal Kickers: D. Archer 4, D. Brown 3, T. Curren 3, A. Schneider , D. Polo , T. LEDGER , M. COOK , B. Dowler , J. Hallahan
Best Players: R. Clarke, S. Ross, M. Sikora, M. COOK, T. LEDGER, A. Cockie

Looks like Raph will get an immediate call up. Geary out? Good to see Seb getting in the best too. 8-)

Patience young grasshopper
bergsone
SS Life Member

How far away is Ross from a call up ?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Results from the game

Goal Kickers: D. Archer 4, D. Brown 3, T. Curren 3, A. Schneider , D. Polo , T. LEDGER , M. COOK , B. Dowler , J. Hallahan
Best Players: R. Clarke, S. Ross, M. Sikora, M. COOK, T. LEDGER, A. Cockie

Looks like Raph will get an immediate call up. Geary out? Good to see Seb getting in the best too. 8-)
Why are you highlighting Myke Cook? He's not a Saint.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:How far away is Ross from a call up ?
A long way in my opinion, probably next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saints66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:

Possible ruckmen of the top of my head .......... Keefe, Pyke, Lycett, Rowe, Paine, Gault, Stephenson, McCauley, Jenkins, among many others

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Possible ruckmen of the top of my head .......... Keefe, Pyke, Lycett, Rowe, Paine, Gault, Stephenson, McCauley, Jenkins, among many others
And not one of them is as good as McEvoy let alone Cox which WO is advocating we should have recruited the likes of

saints66
Club Player

You are right that none are as good as McEvoy, but he is not playing at the moment, neither is Stanley. Lucky we have good old Blakey, who will do a manly job for three or four weeks and then when McEvoy comes back, many on here will be calling for him to be dropped because Fish and Qwilt will hopefully be doing well down back. It would be good if we had a couple of developing rucks, like most clubs. Did we really need to draft Wilkes. McCauley beat McEvoy up last year so at least he was worth a rookie spot. Keefe is holding his own at Collingwood and Jackson Paine has had a few games as well Stephenson did well for the reigning premiers last game and Jenkins looks a steal.

We do lack a couple of big tall development players to complement Fergurson. They are available in the VFL and the State Leagues. Maybe next draft the recruting department will make a couple of talls a priority.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saints66 wrote:Possible ruckmen of the top of my head .......... Keefe, Pyke, Lycett, Rowe, Paine, Gault, Stephenson, McCauley, Jenkins, among many others
Yay! Bring Back Jerker! And also Jezza! And also the crane from the Toyota ad to help 'em both get off the ground. :wink:
saints66 wrote:We do lack a couple of big tall development players to complement Fergurson. They are available in the VFL and the State Leagues. Maybe next draft the recruting department will make a couple of talls a priority.
I asked in another thread, but may have missed the answer... Khan Haretuku???

Khan has been named in the VFL squad, and was mentioned by Mark Finery as being very likely to be picked up next draft. Does anyone know what were his shortcomings that led to our letting him go, and how is he going now? Is he a possibility??? Ta.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saints66
Club Player

Ha Ha .................. Joss Jenkins at Adelaide.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL RD 9 - Sandy Vs Geelong -Reviews

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
saints66 wrote:Possible ruckmen of the top of my head .......... Keefe, Pyke, Lycett, Rowe, Paine, Gault, Stephenson, McCauley, Jenkins, among many others
Yay! Bring Back Jerker! And also Jezza! And also the crane from the Toyota ad to help 'em both get off the ground. :wink:
saints66 wrote:We do lack a couple of big tall development players to complement Fergurson. They are available in the VFL and the State Leagues. Maybe next draft the recruting department will make a couple of talls a priority.
I asked in another thread, but may have missed the answer... Khan Haretuku???

Khan has been named in the VFL squad, and was mentioned by Mark Finery as being very likely to be picked up next draft. Does anyone know what were his shortcomings that led to our letting him go, and how is he going now? Is he a possibility??? Ta.

Finey may think he will be drafted but he is to short to ruck in the AFL IMO. Lets face it the VFL may be a good comp but 95% of actually VFL players arent good enough for the AFL. he is one.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote: I asked in another thread, but may have missed the answer... Khan Haretuku???

Finey may think he will be drafted but he is to short to ruck in the AFL IMO. Lets face it the VFL may be a good comp but 95% of actually VFL players arent good enough for the AFL. he is one.
Ta Plugger..., and ta also for your response re the Grammy thread... at least we both agree that he won't be dropped. :wink:

BTW & IMHO, for those who accuse you of not contributing anything positive/ anything of substance, I reckon it's just a case of their failing to ask...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 21 May 2012 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
realdeal
Club Player

M.Sikora was named 3rd bog for Sandy.. He's a ruckman!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:M.Sikora was named 3rd bog for Sandy.. He's a ruckman!

but he's not a saint this year

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:M.Sikora was named 3rd bog for Sandy.. He's a ruckman!
But he's not our ruckman :P