Guess this weeks ins and outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guess this weeks ins and outs

Out: Cripps, Gilbert
In: Ledger, Gwilt

If wet

Sub: Gram
In: Polo

Gilbert is just killing us. He has gone backwards over the past two years and apart from his kicking could bare take an uncontested mark on the weekend.

Have had enough chances.

Ledger compensates for gram with penetrating kicks, Polo is a hard body that will be needed against the physical Hawks.

Gram gives flexibility off the bench.

Jimmy has had a week in the twos. Maybe a bit early however, we can throw Wilkes back and alternate with kosi as a spare in defence if they tag Sam Fisher.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mrkiss
Club Player

in siposs ledger kosi
out polo newnes gram

rough one would be cripps dropped does he ever get a full game ? maybe fro back if he goes out

defacto
Club Player

out: blake
in: kozi

Richter
SS Life Member

IN: Kosi, Siposs, Gwilt
OUT: Wilkes, Cripps, Blake

Our forward line structure is working well. In order to really solidify that against a top team we need to be able to...

- win the contested ball... hence the likes of Polo, Jones stay in
- deliver the ball effectively from the back line to the forwards

This team would boast options for good/elite kicks throughout all areas of the ground...

Back line - Fisher, Gwilt
Mids - Dal Santo, Goddard, Siposs
Forwards - Milera, Riewoldt, Kosi, Stanley (all good field kicks)

That is nearly half the team, which is backed up by the less consistent/penetrating kicking of the likes of...

Backs - Dempster, Geary
Mid - Hayes, Steven, Armitage, Steven, Gram, McEvoy
Forward - Milne

Thus it is more difficult for the opposition to restrict our possession of the footy to the poor kicks eg Polo, Jones, Blake, Gilbert

Defensive Match ups

Gwilt - Roughead
Simpkin - Franklin
Geary - Rioli
Last edited by Richter on Thu 03 May 2012 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Austinnn
Club Player

Forgive me because I have't seen many games this year, but isn't Cripps playing half-back? Siposs is a wing-forward, so isn't that destabilizing the team in the face of stronger opposition? Bit of a gamble, especially with Hawthorn having a point to prove and smelling Saints blood.

I saw a stat on the AFL website yesterday; we are currently the team with the least points* against, but mid/bottom table for points* for. That would indicate that we need to keep our defense as is and strengthen our attack.

In: Kosi and maybe Gram
Out: Wilkes and maybe Ledger

Wilkes will get a go, he needs to know he's back up at this stage. I'd have him as the emergency and he's first Tall forward in if anyone is dropped reported or injured. I'm sure that will happen at some stage this season.

Obviously that's conservative, but Watters seems to favour continuity and is inclined towards including our younger players at the expense of the 2nd tier, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Gram out again, if his effort last week was as poor as reported.

* (when I say points I mean a combination of goals and points, obviously)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richter
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote:Forgive me because I have't seen many games this year, but isn't Cripps playing half-back? Siposs is a wing-forward, so isn't that destabilizing the team in the face of stronger opposition? Bit of a gamble, especially with Hawthorn having a point to prove and smelling Saints blood.
No, Cripps mostly also playing on a wing. Picked up 11 possies last week, and whilst not awful certainly did not set the world on fire. From what I saw last year of Siposs in the 1s, while he also averaged pretty low possesion count wise, his disposal skills are elite - both as a field kick and having a pot for goal.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Austinnn
Club Player

Richter wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Forgive me because I have't seen many games this year, but isn't Cripps playing half-back? Siposs is a wing-forward, so isn't that destabilizing the team in the face of stronger opposition? Bit of a gamble, especially with Hawthorn having a point to prove and smelling Saints blood.
No, Cripps mostly also playing on a wing. Picked up 11 possies last week, and whilst not awful certainly did not set the world on fire. From what I saw last year of Siposs in the 1s, while he also averaged pretty low possesion count wise, his disposal skills are elite - both as a field kick and having a pot for goal.
OK, thanks for that; sorry about the confusion. Perhaps a case could be made for Cripps out Siposs in if they're playing the same position.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:If it's wet - no change.
Wilkes was a one grab player last week when most other players were struggling to hold their marks.

Siposs played a great game for Sandy, uses the ball well (that alone should put him in contention) and should get the nod soon, maybe even this week ,,,
who for though ?
Nearest correct entry.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

A few posters have gone with Kosi in for Blakey. I consider that a big and unlikely call, but given Sainter OK's track record (and mine :oops: ), it's probably what will be. 8-)

Don't get me wrong, I personally like anything that keeps Wilkesy in the team this week, but that change means we are top heavy with big forwards, and without our CHB. So, I was wondering what said posters suggest we do about those two issues? And, I'm with the good Doctor and his reasoning why not to play Rhys Lightning at CHB. So what other options do you reckon guys?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

No one got it right...never mind, there is always next week....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:No one got it right...never mind, there is always next week....
we're still getting to know watters, but f*** he's pulled some random selections so far this year. i'm not sure anyone's going to have much success in this thread in the near future.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Polo was one of our better players in the last quarter last week, on form I would drop Montagna. Gwilt should have a couple more games in the VFL yet, and I'm not sure about Siposs, I reckon another year off senior form yet.
Montagna helps with what little run/carry we have.

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Likes stability. Giving the young guys a good run.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:A few posters have gone with Kosi in for Blakey. I consider that a big and unlikely call, but given Sainter OK's track record (and mine :oops: ), it's probably what will be. 8-)

Don't get me wrong, I personally like anything that keeps Wilkesy in the team this week, but that change means we are top heavy with big forwards, and without our CHB. So, I was wondering what said posters suggest we do about those two issues? And, I'm with the good Doctor and his reasoning why not to play Rhys Lightning at CHB. So what other options do you reckon guys?
In the past, whenever anyone has suggested playing Roo at CHB (or thereabouts) I've been against the idea, but now that he's no longer dominating up forward like he used to and we potentially have 3 other genuine options for the key posts up forward, I've really warmed to the idea.

Ideally I wouldn't want him to play there, but he's the only option I see out of those four that I think would be suited to it and that I think would make us stronger down back. Blakey has been terrific for us, but he's pretty lumbering and his kicking isn't great, so swapping him for Roo would be a fair sized upgrade for our backline, IMO. If we had a backline containing Fisher, Gwilt, Roo, Gilbert/Simpkin, Dempster, Geary/Gram I think that would give us a genuinely powerful and dominant backline again and if Wilkes is able to hold down FF and Kosi and Stanley continue on as they've started (with help from Siposs and Roo at times and possibly Goddard, who wouldn't be needed down back as much if Roo and Gwilt were back there) we could also have a good forward line. Add those to our midfield containing the likes of Lenny, Dal, Joey, BJ, Steven, Armo, etc and we could be in business ags it has in a long, long time.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.