Gram

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Gram

Was very hard at it, used his physical presence and experience well

Definitely in our best 20

Winmar
Club Player

Exactly. We should give him a bit of leeway. First game game, horrible conditions. Obviously he should have kicked kicked 8 and been best on ground.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Although I watched it on TV, you could question Goddard's hardness last night more so than Gram's. From what I saw on TV, I believe Goddard looked slow, not interested and barely got any hard balls and we tout him as our next captain.
If every other team do what Melb did last night and get under his skin then i'd rather Gram out there as he will be a liability.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was good last night and for me our worst were Gilbert, Geary and Milne. Geary looked like Gram took his spot and he was lost in a different role. Gilbert was hard to notice. Milney doesn't chase so when he doesn't score and the ball comes back out he is a worry. Gram was one of the few who could handle the wet ball. Simpkin was a little shaky and was sucked into wrestling and got lost under the ball too often. Overall we seemed to be waiting for Melbourne to lie down and die and they kept coming.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gram was probably in our 10 best players for the night and we want him dropped? At least he can get his hands on the pill having about 20 touches for the night. For mine Milne should be close to being cut. I've been blaming Kosi for the oppositions easy rebound 50's but on last nights efforts I think Milne is more to blame. He was plain lazy and back to his pre-Lyon days.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He was good last night and for me our worst were Gilbert, Geary and Milne. Geary looked like Gram took his spot and he was lost in a different role. Gilbert was hard to notice. Milney doesn't chase so when he doesn't score and the ball comes back out he is a worry. Gram was one of the few who could handle the wet ball. Simpkin was a little shaky and was sucked into wrestling and got lost under the ball too often. Overall we seemed to be waiting for Melbourne to lie down and die and they kept coming.

Indeed.

Blake was also a shocker last night.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

gringo wrote:He was good last night and for me our worst were Gilbert, Geary and Milne. Geary looked like Gram took his spot and he was lost in a different role. Gilbert was hard to notice. Milney doesn't chase so when he doesn't score and the ball comes back out he is a worry. Gram was one of the few who could handle the wet ball. Simpkin was a little shaky and was sucked into wrestling and got lost under the ball too often. Overall we seemed to be waiting for Melbourne to lie down and die and they kept coming.
Geary had the tagging job on Davey, completely shut him out of the game. Played hi normal selfless role

bergsone
SS Life Member

I must have been watching a different game

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Will be better for the run. I was there.. He looked pretty spent from about half way through the third term. Looking forward to having Schneider and Gwilty back in the side.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was OK for his first hit out. Will keep his spot you would think. Will get better and give us more run.

saintsRrising wrote:

Indeed.

Blake was also a shocker last night.
Blakey at least worked hard off the ball. At the ground you realise how close in he works and just has that veterans ability to limit space for forwards to work in. A couple of good punches from behind but he is a bit of a worry under pressure still. Melbourne were forced to at least produce small crumbs and outside shots not many from marks in the forward 50 from memory.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

It was a solid performance from Gram.

Just watch those long kicks, they have to be kicked to a player rather than nobody.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Kernal75
Club Player

How many times does Gram grab the ball and bomb it long to no-one. I counted at least 5 times on the weekend. We can all sit here and say he's in our best 22, however the fact is that he shouldn't be taking a spot of someone else who we can develop (i.e. Winmar).

If we have no-one in the wings who can play the Gram role then we're in serious trouble because he could/should find himself de-listed at the end of the year.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Thought he was OK for his first hit out. Will keep his spot you would think. Will get better and give us more run.
Agree.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:How many times does Gram grab the ball and bomb it long to no-one. I counted at least 5 times on the weekend. We can all sit here and say he's in our best 22, however the fact is that he shouldn't be taking a spot of someone else who we can develop (i.e. Winmar).

If we have no-one in the wings who can play the Gram role then we're in serious trouble because he could/should find himself de-listed at the end of the year.
:shock:

spert
Saintsational Legend

He did a reasonable job in horrible conditions considering it was his first game back- I would be a bit more worried about the form of Montagna, Roo and maybe Gilbert so far. Gram might have his faults, but has done better overall in finals than the other three I have mentioned

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Winmar got three touches in the VFL and he should displace a 150 game player, former B&F runner up who got twenty in the AFL and who averages 20 per game

Come on.... Get serious

Some comments about Gram are hilarious..... Fact is, his record reads well for a reason, he can play.

Kernal75
Club Player

Come seasons end, he'll be moved on or retired. We couldn't offload him during trade week now we're stuck paying an inflated salary for someone won't form part of our next generation. Time to give someone else a go.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Winmar got three touches in the VFL and he should displace a 150 game player, former B&F runner up who got twenty in the AFL and who averages 20 per game

Come on.... Get serious

Some comments about Gram are hilarious..... Fact is, his record reads well for a reason, he can play.
Agree 100%.
He's in our top 10 players, one of the few linebreakers we have.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think Gram's tattoos, bleached hair and Warney complexion distract people from his football.

He goes fine.

I'd have him in any day.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Gram was probably in our 10 best players for the night and we want him dropped? At least he can get his hands on the pill having about 20 touches for the night. For mine Milne should be close to being cut. I've been blaming Kosi for the oppositions easy rebound 50's but on last nights efforts I think Milne is more to blame. He was plain lazy and back to his pre-Lyon days.
Were you at the game?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

his disp eff % was at 57
but there was other who were worse, armo big boy jones

he had 4 tackles 4 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s and hit double figures in contested possessions

whats the problem????

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree with the opinion put forward by BM in another thread.

Would have had Polo starting and Gram as sub. First game back, wet night, in close game, probably not best suited to Gram's style.

He is a penetrating kick and those type of players, plus his ability to ruin and carry, are vital in penetrating the current defensive presses employed. He can carry it 25 metres, and kicke it 50+ which can penetrate the press effectively.

This is the main reason why coaches want him in the side ASAP. (IMO anyway)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:his disp eff % was at 57
but there was other who were worse, armo big boy jones

he had 4 tackles 4 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s and hit double figures in contested possessions

whats the problem????

good points. In close wwet conditions, oppo laying 100 tackles, 57% efficiency is a pass or just above.

No problem from my perspective.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
loris
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Thinline"]

I think Gram's bleached hair distract people from his football.

/quote]

Was it the wet weather over there at the MCG, making his hair look dark..................... here in Perth, watching on TV, Gram's hair doesn't seem bleached anymore? Maybe he had a dab of brylcream :P :P