Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is Nick Riewoldt?

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:The scrutiny is going to come, a lot of it, and it will be relentless.

They were hard on him when he was flying.

He needs to put this week quickly behind him, and try to focus as best he can on the Suns.
They are going for Rooey hammer and tong on Finey's show..
It was always going to happen.

:(
Roo: "They see me rollin they hatin."

The bloke is the second highest paid player in the comp. I doubt he would give too s***s.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thought Roo was amongst our five better players.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
andrewg
Club Player

Goddard should be captain
rooey is yesterdays news and we need to forget about him
MASSIVE SELECTION MISTAKE NOT PICKING A PLAYER THAT MAY TAKE A CONTESTED MARK INSIDE 50 Beau Wilkes AAAAANNNNNDDDDD where the f*** is Ledger. He wins contested ball, he is the future and if they had both played we would have won by a coule of goals today

PJ
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Thought Roo was amongst our five better players.
that really surprised me, though he did get better as the game wore on. Very propy - watched him today from close proximity and it was not encouraging.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
defacto
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:3 words. Washed-up Champion.

11 years at CHF. no CHF ever lasts that long. Hes gone. He was gone last year in actuality.

Sad but thats life. Club legend.
I think your point about 11 years at CHF is correct. Read an article last year about Brereton and Carey both being pretty much finished at the corresponding age/number of games played as Riewoldt halfway through last season. The body takes too much of a battering at CHF.
spot on. cant keep expecting him to save us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Does Wilkes put on any defensive pressure when up fwd for those who have seen him??

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Thought Roo was amongst our five better players.
that really surprised me, though he did get better as the game wore on.
I thought he was pretty effective when he managed to get the ball. Perhaps the delivery to him was lacking?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

He is one of the reasons we're not the forcce we once were. Let's face it, he was THAT good that he often transformed games on his own, and many didn't even realise. If we needed a get out kick from the backline Roo was there. If we needed lead up fwd it was Roo. He would draw so many players that it would open up for the others.

His balance just isn't what it was. I suspect that this may have something to do with his knee. He seems to lose his feet far easier, and as others have noted, always seems to slowly rise to his feet once crunched. It struck me tonight as I watching the game, how much more brutal the game appears every year. Also, he just isn't getting separation on his opponents on the lead anymore. This means almost every marking attempt his opponents get another opportunity to crunch him, whether he marks it or not.

Still a very good footballer, and if it wasn't Roo we were talking about, then we would be giving him a pass mark on today's effort. 2 goals and 1/2 dozen marks isn't poor for a CHF. He just doesn't seem to impact games like he used to though. I recall in the 05 Qualifying final in the pouring rain he was magnificent. Only had a dozen possessions, but changed the complexion of the game on his own. Ppl talk about Harves in that game (and rightly so) but Roo was nearly as important. That summed him up to me.

I wouldn't throw him to CHB. The backline needs to be taught. He's not terrific in the one on ones, so we wouldn't be best using his attributes I reckon. Playing on Cloke or Buddy he would get carved up for either strength or speed (depending which he was playing on) and we would be robbing a still reliable target up forward. No, as a team we just need to adjust and others have to step up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thing is though, is still attracting defenders.

I suppose the thought process behind him playing as a forward still is sides still must be thinking 'what if'

Kosi had space today because of it, the players just need to adjust a little more, getting better though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hard to watch....

Like Ponting, Fenech, Ian Thorpe and Michael Schumacher......he is now a former champion.....

He was getting beaten with ease today and whilst his typical 100% effort is admirable, he looks like a battered and beaten man

He moves like a super rules player, gee he'd be handy in my team.....

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Goddard should be captain
rooey is yesterdays news and we need to forget about him
MASSIVE SELECTION MISTAKE NOT PICKING A PLAYER THAT MAY TAKE A CONTESTED MARK INSIDE 50 Beau Wilkes AAAAANNNNNDDDDD where the f*** is Ledger. He wins contested ball, he is the future and if they had both played we would have won by a coule of goals today
I dont reckon Goddard should be captain. I just dont like his attitude. Especially when we are losing.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
andrewg
Club Player

Wilkes is a good option for 2012 only because it is different. Cant be any worse then the dempster trial in a final.:)

Middo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:The scrutiny is going to come, a lot of it, and it will be relentless.

They were hard on him when he was flying.

He needs to put this week quickly behind him, and try to focus as best he can on the Suns.
They are going for Rooey hammer and tong on Finey's show..
It was always going to happen.

:(

Should be going for Jones...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hard to watch....

Like Ponting, Fenech, Ian Thorpe and Michael Schumacher......he is now a former champion.....

He was getting beaten with ease today and whilst his typical 100% effort is admirable, he looks like a battered and beaten man

He moves like a super rules player, gee he'd be handy in my team.....
Agree. It's hard to watch him getting knocked off the ball and beaten beaten by ordinary players. It was acommen occurance last year.

Teflon wrote:I would like to see him tried at CHB for a while -lead up to the ball and help with our offence from defence......

You might be right. I guess Goddard would play forward to give us some sort of a target?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

he has a dengenerative knee injury.
changing position wont make that disappear im afraid.
hes just a hobbler now.
Former champion. Club legend.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I so want him deep FF, Goddard CHF.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If he has invested his income wisely over the years, he will soon be retired on a beach, on the coast of Queensland, living off dividends from his investments.
On the other hand if he listened too much to Ross Lyon he could be pulling beers in a bar for the rest of his life.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would sit him out on a wing and get him away from the battering let him have a bit of a run in a good paddock still jag some goals while Wilkes or Archer go and take the punishment minus an a defender.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would sit him out on a wing and get him away from the battering let him have a bit of a run in a good paddock still jag some goals while Wilkes or Archer go and take the punishment minus an a defender.
C'mon Gringo - he doesn't gat paid nearly a million a year to float around on the wing. Did you see Wilkes play fwd in the practise matches? The games I saw he was monstered. Roo isn't his former self, but most times provides a target and a contest. He's still our best key fwd, (which isn't saying a lot) Without Roo there we wouldn't even be competitive. We were a decent outfit in 2010, but really struggled without him in the team when he was injured. Now we would be bottom 4.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I so want him deep FF, Goddard CHF.
He's not a stay home contested FF never has been never will be . ALL his best footy was on lead where he simply blew his opponents up and could get a yard on them. Right now with the changing game and no space to lead to and his dodgy knees he cant do that. IF he sat in the goal square he'd be monstered for mine.Thats a Kosi job and he kicked 3 today....maybe even Wilkes get a go there at times.

Riewoldts best bet is to run back into fwd 50from centre wing or CHB imo.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
gringo wrote:I would sit him out on a wing and get him away from the battering let him have a bit of a run in a good paddock still jag some goals while Wilkes or Archer go and take the punishment minus an a defender.
C'mon Gringo - he doesn't gat paid nearly a million a year to float around on the wing. Did you see Wilkes play fwd in the practise matches? The games I saw he was monstered. Roo isn't his former self, but most times provides a target and a contest. He's still our best key fwd, (which isn't saying a lot) Without Roo there we wouldn't even be competitive. We were a decent outfit in 2010, but really struggled without him in the team when he was injured. Now we would be bottom 4.
In 2010 without him we became unpredictable and started to score because of this.

IMO we have "st kilda forward-itis" a standard condition at St Kilda since before Lockett days where we place ALL our scoring hope on the great white FF.......needs to change, particularly given our current great white hope is hobbling.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's not going to be the dominant player that won so many B&Fs and we need to stop forcing him to play the same role as he did then. Roo used to have two huge roles; he was the link coming out of defence and he was the contested-marking inside 50 forward target. Due to his ridiculous hard running he could play both roles brilliantly, but I think he needs to pick one role and stick with that. Either focus on running and have him as a link-player on the wing or have him bulk up and leave him in the forward line for short, sharp leads. His body won't let him do both anymore, but I think he could still be quite effective at one of those roles. If he keeps trying to do both then we'll keep on kicking to an exhausted, overworked cripple every time we try going forward.

It really is a shame that he suffered serious injuries at the start of the '05 and '10 seasons when he started both looking like the most dominant player of our era.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
He gets paid that million for the player he was, not the player he is now.
The club has to put players in the best positions for the team regardless of their pay.

Then as a separate exercise rearrange the player payments to reflect players actual value to the club.

Without him or with him on today's match we ARE bottom 4.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he can still reach those peaks