Stanley showing good signs..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley showing good signs..

SaintPav wrote:

When we tried to play three talls deep in 2008 when G was still playing, it was a disaster and set us back for the firts half of that year.

I think it also depends on who the three are.

Back then it was GTrain past his best and a bit slow and lacking mobility, Kosi who is slow and then Roo.

The advantage that Stanley has is his pace. He is very quick making him a hard match up if you exploit the pace (as opposed to body on body where he can be pshed off it). So yes he can flood out of the forward line....with him and Saad zooming back on the lead or to run onto the ball.

Koisi is still slow though. So three would work better if all were mobile.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Very surprised no-one has added anything to this thread since the game today, as Rhys smashed Jolly and co in the ruck in the 2nd half (after Mac was subbed off at half time).
He rucked pretty much the whole 2nd half (mostly against Jolly and also against Dawes for a short time) and may have only missed about two hitouts in that time. He got three or four at the centre bounces where he was so far above Jolly it wasn't funny. The rest of the time Jolly was lucky to get within a foot of touching it. Not sure how effective he was with them all, but even if they didn't go to great places it is a hell of a good start.
If someone who'd never seen us play before was picking someone to line up in the ruck for us in R1, based purely on that game, I imagine they'd pick Stanley every time. It probably wouldn't even be a contest.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 16 Mar 2012 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was woeful as a fwd in the first half and ok in the second half in the ruck..... Ben was woeful in the ruck and subbed out due to his negative impact on the game

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

"OK in the 2nd half in the ruck"? Were we at the same game? He got almost every single hitout and most of them very, very convincingly.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Stanleys ruck work in second half gave me some hope.

He really does have a leap and got on top of Jolly (not easy as SEN were commentating how fit Jolly looked) at bounces.

McEvoy had a shocker today - no impact, poor disposal.

Pretty ordinary all round effort.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is more to ruck work than winning taps..... Some studies suggest that winning taps is one of the least important stats in game outcomes, not too sure about that, but effective taps are different to taps...

Stanley did well at centre bounces but was out bustled in marking contests twice by first year players....needs more presence, bit of brooksy about him.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Definitely agree with that last point, and I also said I wasn't sure how many of his hitouts went to advantage, but that is something he can learn, if most of them didn't. It's hard to teach someone to jump way over the top of someone like Jolly, though.
Seeing how much higher he was able to jump than him was very :shock: and it went on for the whole half.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There is more to ruck work than winning taps..... Some studies suggest that winning taps is one of the least important stats in game outcomes, not too sure about that, but effective taps are different to taps...

Stanley did well at centre bounces but was out bustled in marking contests twice by first year players....needs more presence, bit of brooksy about him.
Stanley will never be a stand and deliver bustle ruck - he will be out bustled often IF he tries to play that way. He's a long, streaky race horse.....not Dawes.
His best hope is Paddy Ryder.

Whether his tap work was influencial or not was almost irrelevant to me today - what I was impressed with was his attack at the contest/ball. IMO theres a lot of confidence we need to get into Stanley.....small steps but today we saw him start poorly and finish by working himself into the game. Ive not seen that from him and he ought to be encouraged on that.

Sure he has work to do - but unlike McEvoy today....at least Stanley got his hands "first" to centre bounce taps.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Maybe he can be a poor mans Nik Nat...

He has similar athletic attributes to NN, if not as pronounced, and is similarly lacking footy smarts and reading of the play, also as NN does/did...

Playing forward is very difficult... Even top shelf footballers such as Fisher and Gilbert couldn't make the transition due to the instinct and nous that is required to succeed... Infinitely more difficult with guys like Stanley that rely on their athletic capabilities pretty much entirely to succeed..

So let him chase the ball, be in and around it, and use his speed, spring and strength to impact the game...

It's ruck or nothing for Stanley IMO..

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Maybe he can be a poor mans Nik Nat...

He has similar athletic attributes to NN, if not as pronounced, and is similarly lacking footy smarts and reading of the play, also as NN does/did...

Playing forward is very difficult... Even top shelf footballers such as Fisher and Gilbert couldn't make the transition due to the instinct and nous that is required to succeed... Infinitely more difficult with guys like Stanley that rely on their athletic capabilities pretty much entirely to succeed..

So let him chase the ball, be in and around it, and use his speed, spring and strength to impact the game...

It's ruck or nothing for Stanley IMO..
On todays output it was obvious he needs that "run" at the ball.

I agree, dont box him into fwd 50.....let him run in NN mould.

“Yeah….nah””
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Agree with all that. Body on body stuff (especially in marking contests- I thought his body work in the ruck today was pretty good) is not his forte, but he's going to jump on some packs once he gets more confidence and he's also very good on the lead, as you would expect from someone that fast.
If he plays to his strengths and gets his confidence and so on up he'll be very useful if not more.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I spent half the game today watching Stanley and came away thinking the guy has no idea where to stand... where to run... how to read the play... wins the centre bounce but then doesn't commit to many contests around the ground like a big kid playing against under 12's... flys in with his arm sticking out, with his eyes closed and hopes he doesn't get hit. The guy just got in the way when he was forward... Actually... He reminded me of the perfect stereotype of a great athlete who had no idea how to play Australian Rules Football. He's like a greyhound or a dumb race horse.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was woeful as a fwd in the first half and ok in the second half in the ruck..... Ben was woeful in the ruck and subbed out due to his negative impact on the game

So McEvoy, our number one ruckman... Who had a great season last year... Was subbed because of his form?

Wouldn't he play more if out of form?

I'd suggested he was subbed due to minutes, and it was planned.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

he's got skinny legs and is quite light...
quite a few times he actually jumped way too early... really has a jump on him though. IMO he have a crack as a running big man

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From the looks of it Stanley is going to make a decent ruckman. Looks like our ruck depth has improved! I only saw him as a forward option prior to this preseason.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping he's too good for ruck duties and we will have him as a running Buddy style forward, he just needs to believe it now. he has the athleticism and should be able to become the player we all hope for with hard work and self belief.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was woeful as a fwd in the first half and ok in the second half in the ruck..... Ben was woeful in the ruck and subbed out due to his negative impact on the game

Cox has just been subbed for the second half in the nab GF.

Must have been because of form....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Cox has just been subbed for the second half in the nab GF.

Must have been because of form....

seems not to be working for the Eagles....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Watching Natanui tonight jumping over the top of Crows ruckman and having a massive impact.........there really is a template here for Stanley if he wants to become elite....

As athletic as Natanui/Ryder are....they dont posess Stanleys pace......

Believe Rhys....FFS..gotta play him and encourage him to take the game on...

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Watching Natanui tonight jumping over the top of Crows ruckman and having a massive impact.........there really is a template here for Stanley if he wants to become elite....

I thought the commentators on Fox were saying for MOST of the game NAT has had little impact

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Teflon wrote:Watching Natanui tonight jumping over the top of Crows ruckman and having a massive impact.........there really is a template here for Stanley if he wants to become elite....

I thought the commentators on Fox were saying for MOST of the game NAT has had little impact
He's won last 4 - 5 taps from centre and Eagles back in the game.

Literally jumping over top of his opponent similar to what Stanley was doing Friday.

Commentators on 7 just said Natanui/Priddis been key to Eagles revival....

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

NicNat is pretty fast... He runs out of stoppages.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

NicNat is pretty fast... He runs out of stoppages.
Certainly fast but I think Stanley is express myself...just needs to back himself in to use it.

I watched him close the gap on a Collingwood opponent friday......v quick.

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The difference between Nats speed and Stanleys is marginable. And almost negligible.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ben has been voted into the leadership group, he is respected by his peers.

If anything I reckon he is sore from last week.

He'll play, he'll be fine.

Lenny will make his lack of tap work less significant.

I reckon he needs to hit the scoreboard more myself, make the around the ground work pay, and let other teams get a headache from OUR resting ruckman.