Nettlefold - Do you have confidence?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Re: Nettlefold - Do you have confidence?

Mr Magic wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:the reality is that even if we had managed to 'sign up' Lyon on a long term contract it more than likely would have contained a similar 'get out clause' as the existing one did and he may well have 'walked' from it for a much better financial deal.
You can better your bottom dollar that Fremantle have tied Lyon to the club good and proper.

Lyon hated that "get-out clause". It was part of a package expressly designed to deprive Lyon of the security of a contract-payout, in the event that he was sacked before his term was up.
As has already been explained, Lyon insisted on the get-out clause ONLY because the club itself had insisted on the right to sack him at any time without paying out his contract.

IT is a sign of the utmost idiocy for a club to include such clauses in the contract of a coach who has just coached a near-perfect season and brought us to the brink of a premiership, as he was sure to be hotly in demand by rival clubs.

It is a sign of even greater imbecility (if that is possible) for the club, after the drawn grand final and the grand final rematch in 2010, not to have replaced that insulting contract ASAP with a secure contract on reasonable terms - as Lyon had himself requested when Nettlefold opened negotiations in March 2011.

That Nettlefold (or the Board), in March 2011 was only prepared to offer a 2 year extension with a PAY-CUT plus incentives to the man who'd done so much to secure for our club a windfall of $660,000 (our share of the AFL's takings for the Grand Final Rematch) demonstrates unequivocally that the Board and CEO have no commercial clue where footy is concerned.

Do you have actual knowledge of what you're posting or is it purely your opinion.

If it's purely your opinion of what transpired then how cna you be so positive that is what actually tool place?

If it's actual knowledge of what transpired then I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate wher that knowledge stems from.
Is it the story from one side of the 'argument'?
If so, then that 'story' will be 'tainted' by the biased perspective of that person(s).

You post in such categorical terms that I'm intrigued to know what the basis of your stance is.

And as an aside, you're talking about a contract offer from a Club that has been 'bitten' by long term, non-performance based contracts in its recent history.
You cannot on the one hand decry the 'insulting offer' to Lyon and also decry the 'disastrous' long term contract offered to players like Penny and Hammill.

Surely any Coach worth his salt would not be 'scared' of a contract offer (during negotiations) which offered him a low base payment and large incentives?
Did you feel the same way when Lyon/the Club determined that Luke Ball was only worth 350k rather than his existing 600k salary?
Or was that pragmatic?
Actual knowledge - based on undisputed facts.
Not a single anti-Lyon insider at the club has disputed:

(a) the existence of the terms in question, in the 2009 contract; nor
(b) the terms I have alluded to in Nettlefold's initial offer to Lyon when Nettlefold opened contract negotiations in March 2011.

Your comments at the end re Ball are frankly ludicrous.
The contract offered to Ball was a normal contract: if the Saints had sacked him, we'd have still had to pay out his contract in full. He would have been entitled to that security.
Lyon's contract was not a "contract" in that sense.
It was a "contract" unheard-of in the annals of AFL lunacy.
As for reducing Ball's inflated paypacket - a hangover from the profligate GT era - suffice it to say that, while Ball was a good player, he was not the best player at the club by a long shot.
Lyon - by contrast - has been described by Allan Jeans himself as the best coach St Kilda has ever had.

One would have thought that Nettlefold (or at least you, Mr Magic) would have sat up and taken notice from someone who ought to know.
He didn't. Freo did. And the supporters - judging by our membership tally - are not happy.

I leave you with the following quotation, because it sums up my point better than I ever could:

"Asked how he would have felt if Hawthorn had lost coach Alastair Clarkson to similar circumstances, Kennett replied: "That would have been our fault if we were the victim of a coup and we wanted to keep someone.

"We're not playing with fairies at the bottom of the garden; we're living in a very real commercial world."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/o ... 6142125557

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:[Actual knowledge - based on undisputed facts.

(b) the terms I have alluded to in Nettlefold's initial offer to Lyon when Nettlefold opened contract negotiations in March 2011.
Ok
I see you're into playing word games.

You now claim to have 'actrual knowledge' because people you've never spoken to/with haven't been reported as saying something contrary to what you believe. :roll:

When I ask whether you have real knowledge about the matter I actually thought you might understand that I was asking whether you'd :-
seen this 'contract'
spoken with Lyon to know his feelings
spoken with Nettlefold to get his side of the story
spoken with anybody at Elite who would know what transpired.
spoken to anybody, anywhere who atually has first hand knowledge of what transpired.

Apoparently from your responses we can assume that none of the above took place adn instead all we get is more of your opinion fressed up as fact.

Quite frankly BackFromUSA has been a longstanding member of this forum whose 'inside knowledge' has proved to be on the money in the past.
Moreso he is prepared to back up his statements, unlike yopu, by indicating where his information comes from.

Until proved otherwise with facts, I'm prepared to accept his version of what took place over your opinions.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

My heart bleeds, Mr Magic. Not for whatever nonsense it is you choose to believe. But for your resort to the ad hominem argument - the last refuge of the unthinking.
Truly that is beneath contempt.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

aaah yes the "only believe my sources and info that I cannot back up or you're an idiot" approach to debate

next i guess you'll tell us that you can look yourself in the mirror and be proud of the person staring back at you, as proof of the argument

crippa2sipa
Club Player

What?
Try writing a sentence that actually means something, skeptic. Instead of that gobbledygook.

defacto
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:[Actual knowledge - based on undisputed facts.

Ok
I see you're into playing word games.

You now claim to have 'actrual knowledge' because people you've never spoken to/with haven't been reported as saying something contrary to what you believe. :roll:

When I ask whether you have real knowledge about the matter I actually thought you might understand that I was asking whether you'd :-
seen this 'contract'
spoken with Lyon to know his feelings
spoken with Nettlefold to get his side of the story
spoken with anybody at Elite who would know what transpired.
spoken to anybody, anywhere who atually has first hand knowledge of what transpired.

Apoparently from your responses we can assume that none of the above took place adn instead all we get is more of your opinion fressed up as fact.

Quite frankly BackFromUSA has been a longstanding member of this forum whose 'inside knowledge' has proved to be on the money in the past.
Moreso he is prepared to back up his statements, unlike yopu, by indicating where his information comes from.

Until proved otherwise with facts, I'm prepared to accept his version of what took place over your opinions.
this

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:My heart bleeds, Mr Magic. Not for whatever nonsense it is you choose to believe. But for your resort to the ad hominem argument - the last refuge of the unthinking.

I note your continued inability to recognize the differnece between knowledge and opinion and your continued attempts to deflect reasonable questioning about your claim of 'knowledge'.

Please don't bleed for my benefit.
It's neither needed nor wanted.

Some clarity in your oceans of obfuscation would be appreciated though.

Or alternatively an admission that you've posted nothing more than your opinions.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:My heart bleeds, Mr Magic. Not for whatever nonsense it is you choose to believe. But for your resort to the ad hominem argument - the last refuge of the unthinking.

I note your continued inability to recognize the differnece between knowledge and opinion and your continued attempts to deflect reasonable questioning about your claim of 'knowledge'.

Mr Magic,

How do you "know" the earth is round and not flat?
Is it just your opinion? Or do you actually know it?
Of course, it's not your opinion. You know it - based on undisputed facts.

How do you know that the "live" match you watched on telly the other day was the actual match you thought it was?
Did you see it with your own eyes?
How could you have? You weren't there.
So is it just your opinion that that match unfolded as you think it did?
No it's not. You "know" it - based on undisputed facts.

Unlike BackFromUSA I am not claiming to have "special knowledge" - which tells only one side of the story.
Rather, my argument is based on facts that are unshakable precisely because they are accepted by both sides.

Now I am perfectly capable of being persuaded that my argument is wrong, but only if you:

1. Demonstrate that a particular, discrete fact I have relied on is NOT undisputed (by showing, eg, that BackFromUSA disputes it); or
2, Prove that my argument is invalid because the premises - although true - do not compel the conclusions I have drawn.

What you must not do, however, if you expect reasonable people to take you seriously, is say: "well I don't accept your argument because I know Joe Bloggs; he's usually right. And he says "Blah".

Equally vulgar and idiotic is the standard line of of the simpleton (adopted by Saint Pav on the Freo thread) - namely, that of rebutting detailed reasoning with the lazy, mindless response: "I reckon you made all that up".

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Mr Magic,

How do you "know" the earth is round and not flat?
Is it just your opinion? Or do you actually know it?
Of course, it's not your opinion. You know it - based on undisputed facts.

How do you know that the "live" match you watched on telly the other day was the actual match you thought it was?
Did you see it with your own eyes?
How could you have? You weren't there.
So is it just your opinion that that match unfolded as you think it did?
No it's not. You "know" it - based on undisputed facts.

Unlike BackFromUSA I am not claiming to have "special knowledge" - which tells only one side of the story.
Rather, my argument is based on facts that are unshakable precisely because they are accepted by both sides.

Now I am perfectly capable of being persuaded that my argument is wrong, but only if you:

1. Demonstrate that a particular, discrete fact I have relied on is NOT undisputed (by showing, eg, that BackFromUSA disputes it); or
2, Prove that my argument is invalid because the premises - although true - do not compel the conclusions I have drawn.

What you must not do, however, if you expect reasonable people to take you seriously, is say: "well I don't accept your argument because I know Joe Bloggs; he's usually right. And he says "Blah".

Equally vulgar and idiotic is the standard line of of the simpleton (adopted by Saint Pav on the Freo thread) - namely, that of rebutting detailed reasoning with the lazy, mindless response: "I reckon you made all that up".

And once again you offer nothing tangible, just more misquotes and misrepresentations.

Typical of someone who cannot use truth as a defense when challenged and resorts to manipulating what was said in its stead.

If I watch a 'live' game on television I know it's not live.
If you turn the sound down and listen to the radio broadcast, you will hear the game played some seconds before the vision appears on the television.
Furthermore, if you're watching it on cable it's quite likely that the foxtel box in one room is actually a second or 2 in front of the foxtel box in another room.
So no matter how many times the television stations advertise that the game is being broadcast live, I 'know' it's not.
I can prove it.

You on the otherhand just accept what you hear from people you like and then decide that you 'know' the truth of what occured.

As for 'knowing' the world is round rather than flat, what a stupid ridiculous analogy.
Easy to prove.
Get on an airplane in Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane heading east for the USA. Keep travelling east by plane and where do you eventually end up?
Back on the east coast of Australia course.
Therefore the world is circular/round/eliptical but not flat.

Now to the nub of your vapid argument.
What are these so called facts that you know?
Elite and St Kilda agreed on a new contract for Lyon.
Lyon left St Kilda for Fremantle after being advised by his management that he needed to come in and sign the new contract.
Lyon used a solicitor, not his contracted agents, to arrange the deal with Freo.
Elite discharged Lyon as a client when his Freo contract (and Harvey's sacking) became known.
Neither Lyon nor St Kilda have 'bagged' each other.
Paul Roos made some public comments that Lyon 'had no choice' or words to that effect.

Please enlighten me with what other facts gave you your knowledge on this matter.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Enough already!

Who was the CEO who allowed Roy Cazaly to move to the Swans?

What a nincompoop. Why don't we get stuck into him?

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Look, I'm getting just a tad sick of this, Magic. If you really believe I can enlighten you in some way, then I refer you to my posts on the "Ross Lyon On the Coach" thread.
If not, then why not just let it go? Believe what you want to believe. We all do. Honestly, I don't mind.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:Look, I'm getting just a tad sick of this, Magic. If you really believe I can enlighten you in some way, then I refer you to my posts on the "Ross Lyon On the Coach" thread.
If not, then why not just let it go? Believe what you want to believe. We all do. Honestly, I don't mind.

I've got no idea whether you're right/wrong.

All I know is that you seem to interchange the words fact/know/opinion with regularity when posting.
And it's a clear pattern in many of your posts.

Maybe if you could/would differentiate their use I'd stop replying to you?

It's absolutely pointless in me re-reading your opinion/fact/knowledge posts in any thread.
I know what they say and the only thing that is truthful about them apparently is that they try to portray your opinion as 'knowledge'.