Paul Roos whacks Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paul Roos whacks Watters

So Roos, a legend says one thing about our new coach (which I thought was completely justified) and now people are hating him and 'losing respect' for their boyhood idols.

Get over yourselves.

Buckets
SS Life Member

But it wasn't justified especially in the context of the quote and the message that Watters was conveying.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintnick12
Club Player

Spinner wrote:So Roos, a legend says one thing about our new coach (which I thought was completely justified) and now people are hating him and 'losing respect' for their boyhood idols.

Get over yourselves.

Never said lost respect for my idol, just that it disappointed me even more because he was my idol

And that would be "girlhood" idol....

I thought this place was for opinions....

Over myself now

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:So Roos, a legend says one thing about our new coach (which I thought was completely justified) and now people are hating him and 'losing respect' for their boyhood idols.

Get over yourselves.
I thought people could have an opinion?

I don't get the whole PC mentality.

If people choose to leave the club I love to play/coach elsewhere................ they are now the enemy.
If people disrespect the club or anyone involved in the club ........... they are the enemy.

It is the same with every other team out there.

It is the way it should be!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Get over yourselves.
Justified how?

Words like 'trainwreck' and 'basketcase' was language that Paul Roos used, not Watters.

The fact St Kilda was in three grand finals has been lost on nobody, least of all Scott. Nobody has disregarded it, or not rated it highly. In fact, I find his (Watters) gushing to even be over the top at times, when he talks about his admiration for everything St Kilda.

What did you (and Roos) want him to say, this place should continue as is, be defined by your past?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:

Get over yourselves.

If people choose to leave the club I love to play/coach elsewhere................ they are now the enemy.
If people disrespect the club or anyone involved in the club ........... they are the enemy.

I get that and totally agree but what I dont get is how RL was now a poor coach and cant talk where as previously he was the exact opposite. I still think some people say it because it justs hurts them that some person would have temerity to leave our club. How dare they apparently players and coaches should love our club forever like we do.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I get that and totally agree but what I dont get is how RL was now a poor coach
Poor coaches don't attract that kind of money...I get that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I get that and totally agree but what I dont get is how RL was now a poor coach
Poor coaches don't attract that kind of money...I get that.

Yes and that proves that some, not many, on here just have no idea about footy.

Austinnn
Club Player

Agree with most of the posts above. No one here needs convincing that the environments at Geelong and St Kilda have been significantly different the last 2 years, for many reasons. No one needs convincing that Roos attachment to Ross disqualifies him from comment, just as if Robert Harvey was commenting on anything involving Nathan Burke.

I don't see how SW could have been more respectful and still get the message through to the media (who felt insulted by Lyon's St Kilda) and the players, (many of whom would have been justified in feeling resentment for Lyon's strategy and approach to the club) and us the fans (again many of whom were disillusioned with the Lyon Cage, the Bubble and so on) that things need to change and will.

When clubs change coaches it's only natural for everyone left in the club to enforce the belief, rightly or wrongly, that the change is for the better. Watters would be some mug if he came in and said "Well it's obviously a huge step backward but we'll do what we can", he wouldn't have even got the job if he had that type of personality.

I don't hate Ross Lyon or Paul Roos, but I do think there were good things and bad things about Lyon's approach. We forgave the bad things while he was our man, or ignored them. Now that we have a chance to eliminate/correct them, Watters is right to publicly declare that he will try. He also said that Lyon did many things right and he would tweak things, rather than overhaul them. I don't see much wrong with what he said.

Bottom line: Roos' implication that his mate should be absolved of any criticism is touching but not legit, and not worth anyone's serious consideration.

I'd also like Spinner to justify why Roos' criticism was justified.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:I thought people could have an opinion?

Excuse me and others for not going along with your rail against the "PC mentality".

It's fun to see things in a binary fashion sometimes, particularly on match day, and one reason we love footy is it gives us the license to indulge in this childish fantasy of good and bad, the heroes and the enemy, especially mature people who are compelled to use reason and balance in everyday life.

In a way I agree with you that we need this easy system somewhere in our lives; it's harmless in footy, so let's keep it there at least. But eventually you are faced with a situation that clearly is not black and white and barring the most stubborn Pies supporter, we have to reluctantly accept that it is not so simple.

I would never dream of telling you how you can process information or think about something. I understand your point of view and I respect your right to think that way. I can't really respect the point of view itself though.

Anyone with any reason at all sees through this tribal propaganda, they can see the shades of grey, they don't believe in Gods and Devils and far from being a made-up ailment like PCness, it's actually a mature and balanced viewpoint that befits adult humans and will help us avoid needless aggression and hostility to try and be inclusive as a people, and THAT is the way it should be.

EDIT: I know that this 'taking the fun out of footy' for some and you're probably right, so how about this? When Paul Roos defends Ross Lyon, I think he should be wearing his old Fitzroy jumper and slap some face paint on, just to clearly illustrate that he's not speaking as a shrewd media analyst but as Ross Lyon's old teammate and friend. Mike Sheahan was right to illustrate the bias his statement has, and more should have been made of it, and it should have been in a less serious context, maybe standing up and saluting while he was voicing his opinion or putting his dukes up and looking into the camera doing the "cut throat" finger gesture. That would have been clear and entertaining.

Dressing it up like a valid and reasoned opinion was what the problem was. Or maybe we should just take Footy talk less seriously! :oops:
Last edited by Austinnn on Tue 21 Feb 2012 8:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Robbos just had a crack at Roos on AFL 360 over this issue! I've always thought Robbo gives fair and honest opinions along with Rohan Connolly for what its worth!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: EDIT: I know that this 'taking the fun out of footy' for some and you're probably right, so how about this? When Paul Roos defends Ross Lyon, I think he should be wearing his old Fitzroy jumper and slap some face paint on, just to clearly illustrate that he's not speaking as a shrewd media analyst but as Ross Lyon's old teammate and friend. Mike Sheahan was right to illustrate the bias his statement has, and more should have been made of it, and it should have been in a less serious context, maybe standing up and saluting while he was voicing his opinion or putting his dukes up and looking into the camera doing the "cut throat" finger gesture. That would have been clear and entertaining.

Dressing it up like a valid and reasoned opinion was what the problem was. Or maybe we should just take Footy talk less seriously! :oops:
as R.Harvey3votes said Robbo- who I stated earlier in the week needs to put some white with his favoured red and black- took Roos to task for his comment.
and glad to see Whately not step back from his comments.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:

Get over yourselves.

I get that and totally agree but what I dont get is how RL was now a poor coach and cant talk where as previously he was the exact opposite. I still think some people say it because it justs hurts them that some person would have temerity to leave our club. How dare they apparently players and coaches should love our club forever like we do.
it works both ways though plugger...
it seems that now if u dislike RL like myself... it's because he left the club. A large number of forumites expressed frustration and criticism of the man well before he left (and weren't particularly upset that he went) but many of his current supporters frequently respond to this as sour grapes.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Robbo summed it best on 360 when he said Ross is a big boy, Roos doesn't need to try and stick up for him or fight his fights (words to that affect).

Roos clearly can't hear any comments that may in any way be construed as negative towards Ross without having to "go to war" for his mate. But hey most of the footy media have a bias one way or the other, Roos is just very transparent.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They're all a bunch a tossers the lot of them and we're all suckers.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 21 Feb 2012 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
it works both ways though plugger...
it seems that now if u dislike RL like myself... it's because he left the club. A large number of forumites expressed frustration and criticism of the man well before he left (and weren't particularly upset that he went) but many of his current supporters frequently respond to this as sour grapes.
Exactly mate. I remember getting the s***s often that TW wasn't being promoted and forumites would respond with the old clique 'Ross is in a better position to make the call therefor he is right and you are wrong.' Well guess what; Sydney recruited him and paid quite handsomely in the way of draft picks and have said that he is their starting FF come round 1 this season. Obviously I wasn't the only one to rate him.

At the end of the day I'm not pissed that Ross left or even why he left I'm just pissed at some of the blunders he made with his youth development and trades. Losing Luke Ball was one of the biggest stuff ups in the modern game. That bloke was the heart and soul of the club before Ross came along. Not even going to blame the Lovett scenario on him but Ball and TW....Not giving Armo a go for such a long time - Lucky he didn't jump ship as well.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:The're all a bunch a tossa's the lot of them and we're all suckers.
+1

stkfc1
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Robbos just had a crack at Roos on AFL 360 over this issue! I've always thought Robbo gives fair and honest opinions along with Rohan Connolly for what its worth!
Listening to Robbo lately, it sounds like he's developed a real soft spot for us. Must of got on well with the boys down in Eildon.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Robbos just had a crack at Roos on AFL 360 over this issue! I've always thought Robbo gives fair and honest opinions along with Rohan Connolly for what its worth!
Listening to Robbo lately, it sounds like he's developed a real soft spot for us. Must of got on well with the boys down in Eildon.
he's actually been' ok' for a couple of years now..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Lenny
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:Roos stuffed his integrity when he used the "I know what happened, why Rossie left, he was right, St.kilda were wrong, but I won't say what I know" defence of Lyon over his departure. He attempted to judge us as guilty by innuendo, and convey it, and that's always cheap.
It's fine he's loyal to a mate, but keep your own conflicted interests out of the media, I say.
And, who in the hell doesn't believe we were scarred by the end of last year (apart from Roos)? If Roos can't see that conclusion as reasonable then he ain't no analytical commentator. Crikey, even Professor Mad Mick said we needed a hug after 2011.
What Watters said was fine. It was measured and balanced. He acknowledged what had gone and looked forward with optimism. Way better than Roos decidedly one sided contribution.
Totally agree. I think Roos is being over sensative about Watters comments. We had a lot of issues aside from Lyon last year. If Roos cant see that, hes a fool.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

It's good to see that we're responding to a completely biased overreaction in kind.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

didnt watters just say the saints were in a bad frame of mind in 2011 - for various reasons many of which were just bad luck. pretty much what 90% of footy commentators said anyway?
the schoolgirl (and all its extensions - photos nixon etc). lost flags. injuries. the bubble. lovett court case. 2011 was just a bad vibe. thats all watters said? they needed to refresh. thats not having a go at RL? most of it was just bizarre stuff nothing to do with RL.

so dont know why roos felt the need to defend his mate. watters comments are just what 90% of footy people had already said about us last year and what most of us already know.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:

Get over yourselves.

You are not allowed to have an opinion... And neither am I.

Classing people as the enemy is fine. But throwing away reasoning and logic because you follow a particular team is a personal choice.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Get over yourselves.
Justified how?

Words like 'trainwreck' and 'basketcase' was language that Paul Roos used, not Watters.

The fact St Kilda was in three grand finals has been lost on nobody, least of all Scott. Nobody has disregarded it, or not rated it highly. In fact, I find his (Watters) gushing to even be over the top at times, when he talks about his admiration for everything St Kilda.

What did you (and Roos) want him to say, this place should continue as is, be defined by your past?

And Roo's is allowed to use any words he like...

I just remember when he attacked Watter's comments, that I remember reading Watter's comments and thinking, hmmmm this could be taken a couple of ways. The specificness of the past was a little vague and I can see how I could be taken the way Roos took it. The comments could and were interpreted a number of ways.

Like this line ---> "But have there been some testing circumstances over the past two or three years? Absolutely." "And have some of those situations been brought on by our behaviour? Probably."

Just my personal opinion... :D BTW Good word for getting the article and doing the digging up.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Get over yourselves.
Justified how?

And Roo's is allowed to use any words he like...

I just remember when he attacked Watter's comments, that I remember reading Watter's comments and thinking, hmmmm this could be taken a couple of ways. The specificness of the past and 'scarring' was a little vague and I can see how I could be taken the way Roos took it.

Just my personal opinion... :D
If you have listened to many in the media over the past few days, most have agreed that his comments were about looking after his good mate. To compare the state of our club and the mentality of our players to that of Geelongs dual premiership players when Scott joined them is not only rediculous but ill informed.

Roos has won no friends with his comments apart from the Ross lovers. And it's quite obvious there are a few on here.