Best 22 for Rd 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Why the CJ hate, his kicking is a weakness agreed, but he is top 5 in the league imo at what he does. He has done a number on so many stars over the years his role is so important I can see him playing every game next year.

Where does Stanley sit? Is fwd/ruck his only possie? Does anyone think we can play Mac, Kos and Rhys? I would love to see Rhys take it up to them as he could be anything...
CJ is so underrated it's unbelievable. Rhys could still play with the others as he would take a forward spot rather than a ruck spot. Kosi can be a rotating forward ruck while Rhys would be able to do a bit of a similar role to kosi but his tap work will need to come on quickly.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dempster Wilkes Gwilt/Polo
Fisher Blake/Stanley Ross
Peake Lenny Gram
Dal Kosi Schneids
Milne Riewoldt Saad

McEvoy Goddard Steven

Int: Armitage Jones Monty
Sub: ledger

Ross is my dark horse - would like to get him into it early

Stanley and Blake to fight it out for CHB

Riewoldt and Kosi to alternate Key forward role with CHF floating up the field.

Dal is way too dangerous near goal to let him wander around half back getting easy touches.

Monty needs to step up - goes missing a little for a guy of his calibre

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Dempster Wilkes Gwilt/Polo
Peake Lenny Gram
Dal Kosi Schneids
Milne Riewoldt Saad

McEvoy Goddard Steven

Dal is way too dangerous near goal to let him wander around half back getting easy touches.

No Gilbert?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
PJ
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
PJ wrote:Dempster Wilkes Gwilt/Polo
Peake Lenny Gram
Dal Kosi Schneids
Milne Riewoldt Saad

McEvoy Goddard Steven

No Gilbert?
If he finds form then OK - perhaps he's in the 3 way tussle for CHB. Apart from CJ and Gram I've tried for players that don't turm it over - yes the newies are untried but I'd like some new blood. Gilbo should be best 22 but last year he struggled IMO.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintSimmo
Club Player

B: Blake, Simpkin, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gram
HF: Saad, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Wilkes, Koschitzke, Milne
R: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven

Int: Armitage, Cripps/Geary, Schnieder

SUB: Ledger

BACKS
Blake - takes his spot in the side for the first part of the year before Gwilt comes back.
Simpkin - takes the position of FB
Dempster – is the designated stopper in the side, will be named in the backline but will end up playing a shutdown role.
Goddard – running off half back, will spend some time rotating through the midfield, but we need someone running off half back with elite kicking skills to help clear the ball and set up an attack.
Fisher – no explanation need
Gilbert – Will return to his exciting playing style in 2012, running off half back evading any tackles that come his way. However, if this is not the case, there will be many players putting there hands up to take his position.

MIDFIELD
Montagna – will hopefully return to his 2010 form and be an elite player for us in 2012
Hayes – no explanation required
Gram – Instead of playing off half back I think gram could take a role in the midfield, my reasoning behind this is that his disposal suffers under pressure, especially when trying to break through a zone, therefore if he plays higher up the ground he will be able to lower his eyes and hit up a target. Also I thought gram seemed to play better last year when he moved higher up the ground.
Dal Santo – back to the position he belongs, not off half back!!
Steven – a real emerging star, I think we should try harvest his talents by playing in the position he belongs rather than playing him in the forward line.

FORWARDS
Saad – if all the hype around this bloke is true then he will be a starter in the side and from what I have seen of him he can take a strong grab for a small guy therefore could play on the flank, allowing milne to play in the pocket.
Riewoldt – Our superstar will work on his kicking during the off-season and will come out with a point to bring in 2012 to stake his claim as one of the competitions best ever CHF’s.
Siposs – looks like he has bulked up a lot and hopefully this will help him claim a spot in what last year lacked different avenues to goal, and siposs should provide another option.
Wilkes – Struggled in the backline for the eagles, but had a break out year for subi in the forward line due to a master move by Simon McPhee and as he is now at the Saints I think you will find he will play forward and as a 3rd tall, and when kosi is rotating through the ruck he will take FF, with another small in the forward line.
Milne – no explanation needed.
Kosi – Will start at FF but will rotate through the ruck when Macca needs a rest.

BENCH

Armitage – will rotate in the midfield
Cripps/Geary – can not decide which one. Geary would rotate through the backline taking a small forward. Cripps probably half back flank, running off defence (which is what he was recruited to do)
Schnieder – rotating through the forward line and could spend some time in the midfield.
Ledger – the sub

Sainter for life.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

FB: Dempster Simpkin Jones

HB: Fisher Kosi Gilbert

C: Montagna Goddard Ray

HF: Schneider Riewoldt Sipposs

F: Milne Stanley Cripps

R: McEvoy Dal Santo Steven

Int: Armitage Blake Peake

Sub: Any first or second year player that impresses in the NAB or Gram

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:FB: Dempster Simpkin Jones

HB: Fisher Kosi Gilbert

C: Montagna Goddard Ray

HF: Schneider Riewoldt Sipposs

F: Milne Stanley Cripps

R: McEvoy Dal Santo Steven

Int: Armitage Blake Peake

Sub: Any first or second year player that impresses in the NAB or Gram
I reclon Lenny still goes alright.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:B: Blake, Simpkin, Dempster

BACKS
Blake - takes his spot in the side for the first part of the year before Gwilt comes back.
Dempster – is the designated stopper in the side, will be named in the backline but will end up playing a shutdown role.
Goddard – running off half back, will spend some time rotating through the midfield, but we need someone running off half back with elite kicking skills to help clear the ball and set up an attack.
Gilbert – Will return to his exciting playing style in 2012, running off half back evading any tackles that come his way. However, if this is not the case, there will be many players putting there hands up to take his position.

MIDFIELD
Montagna – will hopefully return to his 2010 form and be an elite player for us in 2012
Gram – Instead of playing off half back I think gram could take a role in the midfield, my reasoning behind this is that his disposal suffers under pressure, especially when trying to break through a zone, therefore if he plays higher up the ground he will be able to lower his eyes and hit up a target. Also I thought gram seemed to play better last year when he moved higher up the ground.
Steven – a real emerging star, I think we should try harvest his talents by playing in the position he belongs rather than playing him in the forward line.

FORWARDS
Saad – if all the hype around this bloke is true then he will be a starter in the side and from what I have seen of him he can take a strong grab for a small guy therefore could play on the flank, allowing milne to play in the pocket.
Riewoldt – Our superstar will work on his kicking during the off-season and will come out with a point to bring in 2012 to stake his claim as one of the competitions best ever CHF’s.
Siposs – looks like he has bulked up a lot and hopefully this will help him claim a spot in what last year lacked different avenues to goal, and siposs should provide another option.
Wilkes – Struggled in the backline for the eagles, but had a break out year for subi in the forward line due to a master move by Simon McPhee and as he is now at the Saints I think you will find he will play forward and as a 3rd tall, and when kosi is rotating through the ruck he will take FF, with another small in the forward line.
Kosi – Will start at FF but will rotate through the ruck when Macca needs a rest.

BENCH

Cripps/Geary – can not decide which one. Geary would rotate through the backline taking a small forward. Cripps probably half back flank, running off defence (which is what he was recruited to do)
Schnieder – rotating through the forward line and could spend some time in the midfield.
Ledger – the sub

Great team. Backline a bit tall. Might need to work a Clarke or Ray in there.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BACKS

MIDFIELD

FORWARDS

BENCH

Ledger – the sub

Great team. Backline a bit tall. Might need to work a Clarke or Ray in there.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If picked now on training form lock in Cripps & Ledger (coaches love child)and possiby Saad.

Ross is also firmly in the thoughts for round 1, he is already seen as a future leader. Mids with pace and disposal will be fast tracked.
Cripps has been super impressive on the track.

Expect the midfield to be less predictable with Armo & Steven taking as much time in there as Joey and Dal. The acid has been put on Dal to lift another cog and become a superstar of the competition, the new coach rates him so highly.

Blakey appears as back up only at this stage with Sam Gilbert set to play tall KPP and Wilkes as next choice folowed by Stanley and Simpkin.
Ferguson is also rated.

I expect Stanley will play as the coach believes in him and his versatility.
Kossie looks like taking the Leigh Brown back up Ruck KPP role.

The new coach will opt with youth if there is a margin call between a younger and older player.

Peake and Ray look safe as they fit the running mid variety that the coach likes. The second and or thrid key forwards are the interesting spots and poetentially up for grabs.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:If picked now on training form lock in Cripps & Ledger (coaches love child)and possiby Saad.

Ross is also firmly in the thoughts for round 1, he is already seen as a future leader. Mids with pace and disposal will be fast tracked.

Expect the midfield to be less predictable with Armo & Steven taking as much time in there as Joey and Dal. The acid has been put on Dal to lift another cog and become a superstar of the competition, the new coach rates him so highly.

Blakey appears as back up only at this stage with Sam Gilbert set to play tall KPP and Wilkes as next choice folowed by Stanley and Simpkin.
Ferguson is also rated.

Kossie looks like taking the Leigh Brown back up Ruck KPP role.Z

The new coach will opt with youth if there is a margin call between a younger and older player.

Peake and Ray look safe as they fit the running mid variety that the coach likes. The second and or thrid key forwards are the interesting spots and poetentially up for grabs.

Awesome insight, I assume from training. Stanley as a backman, dunno. Also Gilbert as KPP I like.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Like this but reckon Cripps is the sub and Ledger plays......kid has the goods/mongrel straight up.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Like this but reckon Cripps is the sub and Ledger plays......kid has the goods/mongrel straight up.
You could be right there.

Besides Cripps had a pretty injury interrupted season in 2011 and by reports he is injured again which will interrupt his preparation for 2012. I imagine Ledger will be a fair way ahead of him fitness wise come Round 1.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

One thing bout our side next year,........I pray we can find some suitable foot skills/decision makers out of defence that enables us to free up Goddard/Dal Santo into more fwd of centre attacking positions (instead of mopping up all day at HB).

IMO we break down so many times going fwd with poor disposal and these guys instead of being on the last line......would be awesome carrying it through centre square into fwd 50....

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:If picked now on training form lock in Cripps & Ledger (coaches love child)and possiby Saad.

Ferguson is also rated.

Awesome insight, I assume from training. Stanley as a backman, dunno. Also Gilbert as KPP I like.
Forgot to add, coach was very concerned about how predictable we are going forward - kick it to Roo. Felt they were able to pick apart the Saints game plan at Collingwood when the Saints went into attack. He is looking for forward options and a spread of goal kickers, where that comes from only the coaching panel knows.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

Forgot to add, coach was very concerned about how predictable we are going forward - kick it to Roo. Felt they were able to pick apart the Saints game plan at Collingwood when the Saints went into attack. He is looking for forward options and a spread of goal kickers, where that comes from only the coaching panel knows.
Sounds impressive. Does he often chat to you? Thats the coach not your alter ego.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

Sounds impressive. Does he often chat to you? Thats the coach not your alter ego.
Sticking with the topic of Round 1 best 22, which part of my posts or players referred do you refute?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

Sticking with the topic of Round 1 best 22, which part of my posts or players referred do you refute?
Never said I disagreed with any. Just asked you a simple question. Im amazed you know all that from watching training. I dont go anymore bit it seems people pick up a lot more than previously from going to training. I must start going again.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

Never said I disagreed with any. Just asked you a simple question. Im amazed you know all that from watching training. I dont go anymore bit it seems people pick up a lot more than previously from going to training. I must start going again.
I haven't been to a training session since the club moved to Seaford.

The last training seesion I attended was on the Thursday evening at Moorabbin prior to the 1997 grand final when Spider trained to great cheers from the crowd but just couldn't get right in time to play.

Now if you wish to discuss football or the topic at hand which is round 1 best 22 please feel free to do so. Let's discuss the content of my posts.

If you wish to make baseless assumptions or try to move the topic away from football to suit your own purpose please refrain from responding to my posts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

I haven't been to a training session since the club moved to Seaford.

The last training seesion I attended was on the Thursday evening at Moorabbin prior to the 1997 grand final when Spider trained to great cheers from the crowd but just couldn't get right in time to play.

Now if you wish to discuss football or the topic at hand which is round 1 best 22 please feel free to do so. Let's discuss the content of my posts.

If you wish to make baseless assumptions or try to move the topic away from football to suit your own purpose please refrain from responding to my posts.
Alright Dad. How do you know Ledger is the coaches love child and how do you know Cripps in burning it up on the track?

And how do you know Ross is a chance for round one and could be a future leader. Actually how do you know all the things you wrote? Because it has been passed off as fact I thought it may be interesting to know how you know. The reason I ask is if you were told this in confidence Im surprised you would print it. Unless of course the person who told you said to write it for all to see on here.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Ferguson is also rated.

Cheers Joffa.

Interesting views and good to have u posting again - always enjoyed reading your stuff as it was at least football related. Im wrapt to hear the view on our predictability - for so long St Kilda has had the "big fwd" option and never effectively shared that load (even to reliant on Milne). Be great to see us go fwd and keep an oppositon guessing as to where....

For the record Im not into "how you know"or why you're sharing these thoughts I just appreciate them as a view. Clearly Tugger gets a huff on anytime anyone else remotely indicates they may have spoken to someone at the club and not run it past him first....

Keep up the good work.

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Cheers Joffa.

Interesting views and good to have u posting again - always enjoyed reading your stuff as it was at least football related. Im wrapt to hear the view on our predictability - for so long St Kilda has had the "big fwd" option and never effectively shared that load (even to reliant on Milne). Be great to see us go fwd and keep an oppositon guessing as to where....

Keep up the good work.
+1

thefatdork
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Cheers Joffa.

Keep up the good work.
+1
+1 for me too. Good to read your work.
GO SAINTS!!

thefatdork
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Cheers Joffa.

Keep up the good work.
+1
+1 for me too. Good to read your work.
GO SAINTS!!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote: Cripps has been super impressive on the track.

Great insight but gotta pull you up on this bit. Cripps has only recently started running and has only runs laps as has been injured. Wont be back to full training til after Christmas. So fair stretch to say has been impressive on the track.