Number Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:#15 Jumper retired for 2012?
I've adjusted - rightly or wrongly on bergholts assumption as there were 2 X 37

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sasaint
Club Player

When you look down that list we must be one of the shortest teams in the comp. Has anyone done the stats? :shock:

Patience young grasshopper
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:When you look down that list we must be one of the shortest teams in the comp. Has anyone done the stats? :shock:
only against saints in previous years. average heights:

2012: 187.0cm
2011: 187.2cm
2010: 189.6cm
2009: 188.6cm
2008: 188.1cm
2007: 187.9cm

no idea how that stacks up against other sides, but i'm comfortable with us getting shorter - would far prefer to have depth in the midfield than at either end, personally.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number Changes

Saints94 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Saints94 wrote:From Twitter: Ahmad Saad #21 & Tom Ledger #15
Whose Twitter?
Secret. :wink:
isnt the whole point of twitter thats its not secret? if u wanted it to be secret you would use text?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:You would assume that Saad getting a # and Milera not, says something about their expectations from the 2 next year at least?
u cant not get a #.
every has to register a # with the afl.

so i dont think it means anything.
it just means we dont know mileras # yet.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:You would assume that Saad getting a # and Milera not, says something about their expectations from the 2 next year at least?
u cant not get a #.
every has to register a # with the afl.

so i dont think it means anything.
it just means we dont know mileras # yet.
I know a lot of people didn't rate McQualter very highly, but surely 32 is still considered a # :shock:

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Thought I saw Seb Ross with 38 on his training top in one of the picture galleries published in the last day or so.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:#15 Jumper retired for 2012?
Nah Tom Ledger is wearing #15 next year. They just havent changed his on the website yet :shock:

ace
Saintsational Legend

So the only player changing their number is Tom Ledger changing from 37 to 15.

Otherwise the vacant numbers have been allocated to newbies.

http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St Loxton
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Thought I saw Seb Ross with 38 on his training top in one of the picture galleries published in the last day or so.
He's got 6

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, I just had a look at our list, I can't believe how much it has changed since 2009...

We really are witnessing a changing of the guard, if Roo and co. are planning on bringing home that elusive premiership they better do it soon.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

all numbers as allotted up now Including Tom L as #15

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

scneids has a new number

17-23

St Loxton
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:scneids has a new number

17-23
WTF -6 I know schnieds is pretty cool, but subzero. 8-)

ace
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Jeez, I just had a look at our list, I can't believe how much it has changed since 2009...

We really are witnessing a changing of the guard, if Roo and co. are planning on bringing home that elusive premiership they better do it soon.

Yes the future is really scary.

Consider that both Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney have been able to build teams with a core of what would normally be the equivalnet of about 15 first round picks, 5 second round picks and raiding out of contract players from other clubs.

Compare that to St Kilda who have to rebuild.
Rebuild having never got a look at a top 20 pick player during that time and a future of 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick per year (whilst Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney get the same).

I know which group of young kids I would prefer to have going into the second half of this decade and they don't wear red white and black.

It is premiership now or maybe not again in my lifetime.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou has created 2 super teams for the last half of this decade.

He reasoned that the new clubs needed to have similar numbers of first and second round pick players that had been accumulated and remain at existing clubs.
If the new clubs had traded all or most of their first and second round picks for existing players they would be competitive from their first season.

But Demetriou did not compel this to take place.
Instead he allowed the new clubs to start out uncompetitive and accumulate super teams for later in the decade.

Every club in the competition including the new clubs will have 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick per season.
But as other clubs existing first and second round picks retire the new clubs startup players will be coming into their prime.
There is no compensation when players like Riewoldt and Goddard retire.
All club lists will contain the same quality of players from 2012 draft onwards but the new clubs will have their startup stars on top.

The competition will be so lopsided in the second half of the decade.
Demetriou will probably have moved on by then, spending the millions in salary that have fallen into his lap, sunning on some Greek island that he will own.

Meanwhile footy supporters will watch 100 point thrashings at the hands of the super teams and wonder how this all happened.
Last edited by ace on Thu 08 Dec 2011 6:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Jeez, I just had a look at our list, I can't believe how much it has changed since 2009...

Consider that both Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney have been able to build teams with a core of what would normally be the equivalnet of about 15 first round picks, 5 second round picks and raiding out of contract players from other clubs.

Rebuild having never got a look at a top 20 pick player during that time and a future of 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick per year (whilst Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney get the same).

I know which group of young kids I would prefer to have going into the second half of this decade and they don't wear red white and black.

Didnt we get any first round picks over the last 15 years? And dont those 2 sides have a salary cap. Yes they will be good for a while once they mature but the salary cap will catch up as it does with every great club.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

Didnt we get any first round picks over the last 15 years? And dont those 2 sides have a salary cap. Yes they will be good for a while once they mature but the salary cap will catch up as it does with every great club.
ace wrote: Every club in the competition including the new clubs will have 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick per season.
But as other clubs existing first and second round picks retire the new clubs startup players will be coming into their prime.
All club lists will contain the same quality of players from 2012 draft onwards but the new clubs will have their startup stars on top.
The salary cap wont stop the rampage, the startup players will stick together for their collective glory.
Demetriou needed to force the new clubs to trade picks and be competitive from the start.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

ace wrote: Every club in the competition including the new clubs will have 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick per season.
The salary cap wont stop the rampage, the startup players will stick together for their collective glory.
Demetriou needed to force the new clubs to trade picks and be competitive from the start.
I am unsure someone would sit in Sydney for bugger all even if they are successful when they can come home and earn plenty more. Well actually I am sure. They will come home.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we are being a bit pessimistic here. Sure GWS and GC have got high picks in their first year. but you cant compare that to us and Carlton. Carlton have 3 No. 1 picks, 2 number 2, etc. We have 2 No.s 1 picks and even Richmond have a couple, but it has not made them into a super team. In 5 or 6 years time it will be interesting to see how many of these high picks taken by GC and GWS have made it, or are still with their original clubs.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

I am unsure someone would sit in Sydney for bugger all even if they are successful when they can come home and earn plenty more. Well actually I am sure. They will come home.
You're assuming that the AFL will not tinker with the rules. They have done it before and they will do it again. That is the problem when the regulator is the owner and operator and has skin in the game. They make up the rules as they go along and it's a massive conflict of interest.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yay! We didn't retire any numbers. Hate that stupid system!

Rosco
Club Player

it's ok in some sports like basketball where you don't have a 40-man list, but yeah, i love the history of numbers in the vfl/afl and retiring shouldn't really happen.