Jay Lever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Surprised we picked him up before Myles Bolger and Ben Brown though. Bolger was regarded as the second best (after Longer) ruck in the draft, and never got picked up at all.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

desertsaint wrote:i know nothing about him. but it seems he doesn't like to play ruck, and isn't very good at ruck?
The article also said " struggled with his light frame". Bulk this kid up and he could gain the confidence needed for the ruck, combine this with his elite ball use with both sides of the body and this kid might be special. Got a good feeling about this kid.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Surprised we picked him up before Myles Bolger and Ben Brown though. Bolger was regarded as the second best (after Longer) ruck in the draft, and never got picked up at all.
doesn't that suggest that he wasn't "regarded as the second best ruck"?

just going on the descriptions from the afl site these guys were all taken before him so they must have been regarded as better ruckmen:

8: longer
26: elton
54: sellar
56: downie
60: lever
65: gault
78: stephenson
79: o'hailpin

i don't want to be too much of a smart arse, but rather than assuming the pre-draft speculation was correct, maybe pay attention to the evidence in front of you - 18 clubs decided bolger wasn't in the best available eight ruckmen or 80-odd players.

it wouldn't be the first time pre-draft speculation was bulls***.

Scoop
Club Player

Spud wrote:
desertsaint wrote:i know nothing about him. but it seems he doesn't like to play ruck, and isn't very good at ruck?
The article also said " struggled with his light frame". Bulk this kid up and he could gain the confidence needed for the ruck, combine this with his elite ball use with both sides of the body and this kid might be special. Got a good feeling about this kid.
+1

I think he could be a ripper....but will need time...like most kids his size...

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
sainterinsydney
Club Player

I think this kid could be that special utility ruckman that every club wants nowadays with the new substitution rule.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds like he was played out of position and struggled accordingly in the champs. I wonder how Patton would have gone in the ruck. Lightning quick, brilliant on both sides and extremely clean. Whats not to like!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Furphy
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Any relation to Harry?
My first thought when we drafted him, here's Harry's brief stats:

Harry Lever (St Kilda 1905-22) born 5 January 1886 was an Australian rules footballer who played with St Kilda in the VFL. Lever played as a fullback in his 18 year VFL career which began in 1905. In 1907 he lost two fingers in a Band saw accident but recovered to go on and play a total of 218 games for St Kilda, including the 1913 VFL Grand Final.

paddy
Club Player

It does take a while for Ruck's to develop, so perhaps run him in defence while he builds up a Ruckmans body

Ross who?
Club Player

Sounds like this kid could potentially be a good pick up.

My guess is that he will be developed along a similar path to how Kosi entered the Saints.(Don't start Kosi haters, I am not saying he is the next Kosi, just a similar physique)
Start him out at CHB for 12-18 months(Kosi won Rising Star here) and then switch around to CHF/FF with a mix of ruck thrown in once he gets some weight on.

Sounds very agile and skillful for someone around 200cms.

He is around 200cms, give him time to develop. Do not expect any miracles in 2012. More likely to be getting some consistency by late 2013.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Just a quick read of his stats.....would tell me that story
A quick look at your stats tells me a story too;

Posts; 3796
Whines, whinges, negative views on young players; 3700
Defensive posts stating "it's just my opinion" 96

Result: Delist

defacto
Club Player

Ross who? wrote:Sounds like this kid could potentially be a good pick up.

My guess is that he will be developed along a similar path to how Kosi entered the Saints.(Don't start Kosi haters, I am not saying he is the next Kosi, just a similar physique)
Start him out at CHB for 12-18 months(Kosi won Rising Star here) and then switch around to CHF/FF with a mix of ruck thrown in once he gets some weight on.

Sounds very agile and skillful for someone around 200cms.

He is around 200cms, give him time to develop. Do not expect any miracles in 2012. More likely to be getting some consistency by late 2013.
spot on. we need to be realistic here. if he plays a handfull of senior games for sandy that'll be a win. 2013 he should be fairly consistent at VFL level. by then we should have a good feel for his development and if he can push on from there and have a good crack at AFL level football.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
BigMart wrote:Just a quick read of his stats.....would tell me that story
A quick look at your stats tells me a story too;

Posts; 3796
Whines, whinges, negative views on young players; 3700
Defensive posts stating "it's just my opinion" 96

Result: Delist
spot on mate also big mart it may pay for you to look at the stats ouside the the nationals as he was played out of position and was also regarded as quote " the best player in the team with the ball in his hands" at the geelong falcons..... id say you might benefit from having a better "quick look" at his stats before you decide to go negative on a kid thats been at the club less than 24 hours!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Good Geelong boy :D

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am still surprised we picked him up before Bolger and Brown. Maybe we can get one of them in the rookie draft. It looks like Lever wants to be a C HB.