Would have been better than meatloaf !!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Thinline wrote:
#1GILL wrote:I think we should get these guys

A performance like this would be better than the game itself. Treat yourself to 9 of the best minutes of your life.
The duelling penises ... I mean guitar licks ... at the start; the mamby pamby little jog down the aisle; ... the topless drummer all sweaty and shiny... a song about idolising and or perving at other man folk ....

Not just a little on the homo-erotic side of things??

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Each to their own Gill, but 3 mins was well enough. And it's three I'll never get it back...
It's called entertainment you miserable so-and-so. Great to see top-flight muso's doing instrumental solo's again.

I guess if you're so inscure in your own, errrrm, preferences, that you can't enjoy it, well it's your loss.
Not just a little defensive and humourless there, chief?

Or should I just like what you like so my friends think I rock hard.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

The AFL needs to hire these guys- I'm sure they would work cheap, and it could be Meatloaf's long lost half brother on drums..just hire the drummer!

Hammer
Club Player

A tin of Spam would have been better than Meatloaf! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bring back the Hammer!
westy
Club Player

Damn youse guys! I just got into trouble for listening to this great stuff during working hours!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

To bag the foo fighters (you can not like em though) is to have tin ears! So easy to pick the music lovers/muso's on this site!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:To bag the foo fighters (you can not like em though) is to have tin ears! So easy to pick the music lovers/muso's on this site!
Would have thought tin ears is what you wind up with for listening to that over-hyped white noise. 8-)

I simply don't understand FF's musical relevance beyond a commerciality gleaned from one band member's fortuitous proximity to a genuine musical 'landmark'. I can't even come close to forming a notion of what their legacy may be. If in fact there is one.

I kinda feel sorry for the young folk. For all the talk of choice like never before, choice - by virtue of shrinking record co budgets being lumped on but a few - is horribly limited. It's like with Pete Murray here now and how it was for a while with bloody Powderfinger. How much coin was lumped in their marketing budgets at the expense of others more than worthy?

As for FF, it all seems like high energy tonelessness for folks who haven't taken enough time to investigate and source their musical roots.

Or who haven't yet discovered Wilco. 8-)

All IMO non-music loving opinion of course.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hey Pat..why dont you contact the Club about Lloyd playing at the B&F next year?

Not sure if Dan Sultan (who sung this yer) is a Saints fan, but the year I went they had Billy Miler, Rebecca Barnard and Mick Thomas all play...so sounds like they do give some preference to Saints fan artists :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Hey Pat..why dont you contact the Club about Lloyd playing at the B&F next year?

Not sure if Dan Sultan (who sung this yer) is a Saints fan, but the year I went they had Billy Miler, Rebecca Barnard and Mick Thomas all play...so sounds like they do give some preference to Saints fan artists :-)
Good idea mate.Will ask Lloyd if he is interested first but being the saints tragic that he is I would say he would jump at it...part of the deal would be his unofficial promoter get a ticket as well
:wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Wilco? Um ok. Seems to me you just aren't into rock music,and that's ok. FF's have quite a diverse catalogue within the boundaries of their "thing". Starting at solo acoustic guitar/vocal ballads I'm sure you have never heard. Oh well,at least you follow a decent football team :O).

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Wilco? Um ok. Seems to me you just aren't into rock music,and that's ok. FF's have quite a diverse catalogue within the boundaries of their "thing". Starting at solo acoustic guitar/vocal ballads I'm sure you have never heard. Oh well,at least you follow a decent football team :O).
You think Wilco aren't a rock band?

No more questions, your honour. The prosecution rests.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

powderfinger

great drug ref

parents dont even see it
dumb asses
more obvious than grinspoon

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:powderfinger

great drug ref

parents dont even see it
dumb asses
I thought they were named after the Neil Young song, which is more likely referring to gunpowder ? Of course they probably dig the blow ref as well.

And add Green Day to your list!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

great drug ref

parents dont even see it
dumb asses
I thought they were named after the Neil Young song, which is more likely referring to gunpowder ? Of course they probably dig the blow ref as well.

Is Stinkfinger a reference to an Iranian soccer player?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
satchmo wrote:

great drug ref

parents dont even see it
dumb asses

Is Stinkfinger a reference to an Iranian soccer player?
Hopoate!

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SteveStevens66
Club Player

Re: Would have been better than meatloaf !!!

saint patrick wrote:

My friend Lloyd who is a bleeding red,white and black die hard sainter ...sitting with him and his son Riley with at the Melbourne game this year...went to both Grand finals last year as well.Should at least be playing at the B&F next year...might have to start a campaign :wink:
Saint Patrick,

I thought I'd send you a PM rather than post and be dragged into some slagging match with some idiot on SS who wouldn't know a guitar from tuba.

Anyway I am deeply indebted to you. I had never heard of Lloyd before. He is absolutely fantastic! I'm a blues guitarist myself and so I am very aware of the extent of his musicianship. He is off the charts good. One of the best I've ever seen.

Do get him down to perform at St Kilda!

Many thanks again.

SteveStevens66

Carna Saints!!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Thinline wrote: It's called entertainment you miserable so-and-so. Great to see top-flight muso's doing instrumental solo's again.

I guess if you're so inscure in your own, errrrm, preferences, that you can't enjoy it, well it's your loss.
Not just a little defensive and humourless there, chief?

Or should I just like what you like so my friends think I rock hard.[/quote]

Nope, couldn't give a crap waht your friends like, FF aren't even my thing, into metal in a big way myself, but they sure beat the crap outta the production line, X factor sponsored pop vomit so eagerly gobbled up these days. At least this is actual muso's that can play instruments and there's a big crowd at a live gig having a good time. Beats the daylights out of a lot of the alternatives, whose greatest strength is their marketing.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:

My friend Lloyd who is a bleeding red,white and black die hard sainter ...sitting with him and his son Riley with at the Melbourne game this year...went to both Grand finals last year as well.Should at least be playing at the B&F next year...might have to start a campaign :wink:
Saint Patrick,

I thought I'd send you a PM rather than post and be dragged into some slagging match with some idiot on SS who wouldn't know a guitar from tuba.

Anyway I am deeply indebted to you. I had never heard of Lloyd before. He is absolutely fantastic! I'm a blues guitarist myself and so I am very aware of the extent of his musicianship. He is off the charts good. One of the best I've ever seen.

Many thanks again.

SteveStevens66
Cheers Steve..I discovered him about 18 months ago and couldn't believe his ability..plays around locally Melb and peninsula a lot so look out for him..really nice guy to boot..very humble as well.Will try my best toget him down to the club for a function ..as I said he bleeds red ,white and black :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:

Saint Patrick,

Many thanks again.

SteveStevens66
How about that. Another blues guitarist. Mind you I'm still figuring out how to make the strings stick to the brass of my tuba and all so playing's hard...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Must be soooooooooooo cool to be a musician

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Isn't extraordinary how one little innocent deviation from what the majority reckon is mainstream (and therefore ace as) turns into a little lynching.

No wonder the AFL get Meatloaf.

Veer off the safety main road and there's too many ruffled feathers.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Isn't extraordinary how one little innocent deviation from what the majority reckon is mainstream (and therefore ace as) turns into a little lynching.

Exactly.

People often unfavourably compare the AFL Grand Final entertainment to that of the NFL or ARL. The latter also use very mainstream acts. It's just that those comps, particularly the NFL, use mainstream acts at the very top of their game.

Look at the demographics of those attending or watching the GF and tell me that some "cool" band from the Corner Hotel would be met with universal approval.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Thinline wrote:Isn't extraordinary how one little innocent deviation from what the majority reckon is mainstream (and therefore ace as) turns into a little lynching.

Exactly.

People often unfavourably compare the AFL Grand Final entertainment to that of the NFL or ARL. The latter also use very mainstream acts. It's just that those comps, particularly the NFL, use mainstream acts at the very top of their game.

Look at the demographics of those attending or watching the GF and tell me that some "cool" band from the Corner Hotel would be met with universal approval.
Exactly...Tim Rogers preceeded Meatloaf, but got no TV coverage and Im sure 80% of the people at the ground had no idea how much he has contributed to Australian music. He was awesome :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Are you sure you're not just being an arsehole? Perhaps I read it wrongly.

At any rate it's fair enough not to like the FF for whatever reasons, but your contempt for those that do like them is almost homo-erotic! :lol:

And Patrick well done! You have alerted at least one person here as to the musical joy of listening to Lloyd, and if Steve continues to spread the word then who knows how many might be turned on.

Lloyd Speigal would be perfect to play at the AFL GF. Solo artists are much easier to capture and therefore project, and no doubt the quality of performance would be outstanding. The problem for the AFL is being BRAVE enough to use a relative unknown for such a special occasion, where in the past they have relied on the big name artist as a trophy to parade and pat themselves on the back with.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Are you sure you're not just being an arsehole? Perhaps I read it wrongly.

At any rate it's fair enough not to like the FF for whatever reasons, but your contempt for those that do like them is almost homo-erotic! :lol:

And Patrick well done! You have alerted at least one person here as to the musical joy of listening to Lloyd, and if Steve continues to spread the word then who knows how many might be turned on.

Lloyd Speigal would be perfect to play at the AFL GF. Solo artists are much easier to capture and therefore project, and no doubt the quality of performance would be outstanding. The problem for the AFL is being BRAVE enough to use a relative unknown for such a special occasion, where in the past they have relied on the big name artist as a trophy to parade and pat themselves on the back with.
Pretty sure I put IMO in all my posts and suggested 'each to their own' in one as well.

If I want to mount an argument for against something, I will.

Fair dinkum. Welcome to SS 2011/12. Throw grenades all you like. Just make sure they're the kind most people like.

Anyhow, back to football. Alright with you if I post about that Satchmo? Maybe PM me a list of the s*** you believe in so I'll be sure not to tread on your toes when I form my nice cosy safe views down the track.

Sheesh...This place sometimes...

westy
Club Player

There's always bigfooty for some mindless antagonism

I'm livin' in a madhouse