Saints delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Saints delistings - OFFICIAL

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
saintly wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Ryan Gamble
Al Smith
Nick Heyne
Will Johnson
Paul Cahill...

All youth... Surpring and somewhat worrying. Shame to see Smith go IMO. Will get picked up by another club.
how does any of this help the salary cap?
Maybe the salary cap issue is not that bad...also, there could be more delistings...
I reckon that last part of your statement is right. One of the mid range players will be delisted or worse. Could even be 2.
Gather you meant delisted or worse on 1 or 2 mid-range players maybe being tipped out....

If the OP's list is correct, I'm a bit surprised with Al Smith being delisted. I would have kept him. Do you reckon he might be Rookied?
And if Heyne is contracted for another year, and no one takes him in the draft, he might be Rookied as well.

Stand your ground :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Smith and Johnson both reported to have a little something throughout the season the 2s...

never got a shot

the list of players delisted/lost without being properly tested goes on
So whose fault is that. Surely if Pechan or Watters thought they were good enough they would have stayed and anyway who are these delisted players that have been let go without being tested?

In a season where Roo has been hammered pillar to post and we've clearly expressed our desire for another KP forward... he could have at least had a go
his form in the VFL warranted at least a couple of goes

Smith could have played ahead of Baker in the BP earlier this season, or could have had a few of Mini's stellar games back in 2010
though for mine... i think he's pbly a more obvious choice to go... doesn't seem to have done as well

At least Heyne never really looked up to it hence didnt get a shot...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Smith and Johnson both reported to have a little something throughout the season the 2s...

never got a shot

So whose fault is that. Surely if Pechan or Watters thought they were good enough they would have stayed and anyway who are these delisted players that have been let go without being tested?

In a season where Roo has been hammered pillar to post and we've clearly expressed our desire for another KP forward... he could have at least had a go

Smith could have played ahead of Baker in the BP earlier this season, or could have had a few of Mini's stellar games back in 2010
though for mine... i think he's pbly a more obvious choice to go... doesn't seem to have done as well

But if they were any good they would have been kept or will be picked up by another club. None will get picked up unless by us again and we havent had to many that have been delisted and picked up by other clubs previously so that suggests they werent good enough even if they didnt get much of a go. Blame the recruiters for getting poor players I reckon.

noreason41
Club Player

saintlee wrote:Most of those are list-cloggers IMO.

Only one I think is unlucky is Smith...
Agree - Apart from Smith.

Don't think his disposal cuts it...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Source is Jonno Nash, one of the reporters for Croc Media. Apologies if this has jumped the gun, but seemed confident it was official.

Surely club announcement is imminent
nothing yet

is that the Jonno Nash that used to play VFL?- or does he still?
Yes it is. Plays in the Ammo's now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I just dont want another season of watching Roo get triple teamed.
Its farking painful.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:harsh. but believable.
so johnson/walsh/lynch/cahil gone.

thats 4 young guys over 190cm .

our kpp stocks are very very low!
Maybe making room for Fev?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

never got a shot

But if they were any good they would have been kept or will be picked up by another club. None will get picked up unless by us again and we havent had to many that have been delisted and picked up by other clubs previously so that suggests they werent good enough even if they didnt get much of a go. Blame the recruiters for getting poor players I reckon.
y give a second chance 2 a player thats been on a list for 2-3 years n not been played..? It's a fair enough call that other recruiters wouldn't touch them again... they'll think there's something behind the scenes that suggests they won't make it

It's so easy to blame the recruiters but we don't actually test our players out...
Will Johnson actually played a number of decent games for Sandy... he was young and had improvement in him and was barely given a shot ahead of any number of players that played average consistently average football

is your contention that because he wasn't played clearly he isn't good enough and should never have been played?

On a side note... how do you rate the team selection committee over the last 12 months?

defacto
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

why are people so fixated and obsessed with fev. watched him play in darwin via stream yesterday. the bloke is passed it. he's 31, over weight and can go ok in the vfl when he seagulls the square and doesnt follow his man.

more chance of us taking callum wilson.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

never got a shot

y give a second chance 2 a player thats been on a list for 2-3 years n not been played..? It's a fair enough call that other recruiters wouldn't touch them again... they'll think there's something behind the scenes that suggests they won't make it

It's so easy to blame the recruiters but we don't actually test our players out...
Will Johnson actually played a number of decent games for Sandy... he was young and had improvement in him and was barely given a shot ahead of any number of players that played average consistently average football

is your contention that because he wasn't played clearly he isn't good enough and should never have been played?

On a side note... how do you rate the team selection committee over the last 12 months?
I never comment on team selection because I have no idea of the roles they want people to play or injuries or other things that we dont know about. people thought because of that I thought RL was great. It will be same under Watters. they have all the facts and we have none. Matter of fact most people here want players to come into the side that they havent even seen play. it is laughable what some people want and say.

And I still contand that we may not have given all these players huge amounts of games but if they were any good they would be kept or piocked up by another club.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

why are people so fixated and obsessed with fev. watched him play in darwin via stream yesterday. the bloke is passed it. he's 31, over weight and can go ok in the vfl when he seagulls the square and doesnt follow his man.

Personally I wouldn't take him, but I am wondering where our next key forward is going to come from. No Walsh, Lynch ... Johnson and Cahill reportedly delisted.

gurubob101
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

never got a shot

From the times I've seen Johnson play at VFL level he never looked like a KPP. He is tall but not particularly strong overhead or physically capable of imposing himself on a contest. I don't think he was ever going to be the man to provide relief from third man up pressure for Nick. I wish all these guys the best for the future but none of those delisted are a big surprise. What is a bit surprising is that none of the mid level players have gone. Does that mean some have taken a pay cut?
Last edited by gurubob101 on Mon 24 Oct 2011 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I'm disappointed but not surprised on Smith and Johnson. Surely this means Archer stays and therefore is elevated
Well he doesnt deserve to be elevated. Second half of the year was poor. To be honest he would be very lucky to stay on the rookie list.
He's a kid still getting used to his massive frame, has an incredible workrate and basically sacrificed his year for the good of the Sandy team, playing as a ruckman and defender when clearly his beat position is forward. When you consider that we now have ONE backup tall forward on the senior list, I'd say he definitely deserves elevation.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

and when they always kick him to him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I'm disappointed but not surprised on Smith and Johnson. Surely this means Archer stays and therefore is elevated
Well he doesnt deserve to be elevated. Second half of the year was poor. To be honest he would be very lucky to stay on the rookie list.
He's a kid still getting used to his massive frame, has an incredible workrate and basically sacrificed his year for the good of the Sandy team, playing as a ruckman and defender when clearly his beat position is forward. When you consider that we now have ONE backup tall forward on the senior list, I'd say he definitely deserves elevation.
Not on form and surely that is why you are elevated. As I said he would be lucky to hold his spot as a rookie.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gamble got a dud deal from us, too many expected him to play like a key position player which he is not, and I thought he was a useful forward, but apart from Milne kicking goals we effectively had no winning CHF or FF for most of the season, and its hard for flankers to feed off losing key position players, anyway, lets look forward- I now expect Fev to be pulling on the red white and black for 2012.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If the OP is accurate, then I think it's a pretty fair outcome. IMO the only one who came close to showing he was worthy to play AFL was Gamble, and that was presumably mainly because he had been playing at AFL level on and off for a while.

Johnson showed something in a couple of senior appearances, but I didn't think he was even as good as Gamble. Heyne looked undersized and underskilled, Smith looked good except that his disposal was even worse than CJ's, and I can't remember seeing Cahill play.

I know we didn't have the greatest draft picks in the universe to play with, but gee our recruitment has been ordinary in recent years!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Assuming that the delistings are correct, it makes me wonder if we are looking to draft a mature age, bigger bodied forward (not Fev!).
Maybe they think they can find another Podsiadly, because we do need someone to help Roo.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:If the OP is accurate, then I think it's a pretty fair outcome. IMO the only one who came close to showing he was worthy to play AFL was Gamble, and that was presumably mainly because he had been playing at AFL level on and off for a while.

Johnson showed something in a couple of senior appearances, but I didn't think he was even as good as Gamble. Heyne looked undersized and underskilled, Smith looked good except that his disposal was even worse than CJ's, and I can't remember seeing Cahill play.

I know we didn't have the greatest draft picks in the universe to play with, but gee our recruitment has been ordinary in recent years!
He played a part of one quarter of senior footy!

Kilda
Club Player

I'm surprised Archer was not in that list...and what of all the more mature aged players? Are we going to hold onto all of them? Seems odd to me... on several fronts.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Strange nothing out of the club yet?

If they can't get who they want in the draft, some of those guys may be picked up as rookies.

We still have Stanley, Ferguson and Archer to further develop as talls.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not on form and surely that is why you are elevated. As I said he would be lucky to hold his spot as a rookie.
Well he's not going to hold his spot as a rookie because he's already been on the list for 2 years. It's either promotion or delisting.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Strange nothing out of the club yet?

If they can't get who they want in the draft, some of those guys may be picked up as rookies.

true. maybe they have faith in ferguson? a lot of sandy and saints watchers seem to have a lot of time for him.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:Strange nothing out of the club yet?

true. maybe they have faith in ferguson? a lot of sandy and saints watchers seem to have a lot of time for him.
Dont worry about Archer, he wont make it

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:true. maybe they have faith in ferguson? a lot of sandy and saints watchers seem to have a lot of time for him.
At the moment I think he's just seen as a project player who is worth persevering with. He's a great athlete and has done some impressive things, but they wouldn't be relying on him to become a regular in the next year or two. He's definitely a running defender though, not a forward.

What does concern me is that even though we had very little depth in the KPP/ruck stocks going into this year, we've now lost Gardiner, Walsh, Lynch, Cahill, Johnson and Gaertner without replacing any of them in trade week. I'd say we'd be a near certainty to pick up an experienced tall in the draft; perhaps we're looking at Setanta?