What a shambles...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
And here’s my nomination for today’s silliest comment.

The loss of Tommy Walsh may, just may, provide a lifeline to the almost universally panned Paul Cahill. He’s been in the system a few years and just like Walsh, he has kicked 6 goals in a VFL game for Sandy. A sudden dearth of height may see us persist with the often injured, often maligned forward.

Let’s see what you’ve got PC :)

Unless of course you get delisted in a couple of week’s time :wink:
Although that's not my quote, I too think PC may be the great white hope.
Like a phoenix, he will rise from the Ashes of Tommy Walsh....

(Unless he is delisted of course).

I just have a feeling about Cahill........
It would be ironic, because we held out so long for him to come good and just as we give up the little bugger gets a wriggle on. Hope he does, Wellingham didn't look worthy of an AFL career but one year just turned up to play.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
saint66au wrote:Walsh wasnt going to Sydney "one way or another" He wanted out of St Kilda..the Club have made this pretty clear. If he'd walked to the draft he'd most likely be in the outer edges of Sydney in 2012 not the chardy sipping Bloods.

Im old school, but Im bitterly dissapointed that he's walked from a Club that put two years of development into him, and took a chance by drafting him in the first place. Watters stated bluntly he was wanted, for his leadership qualities too, but he still walks

Club got what they could for him, and the deal was fine based on his form not his reputation. There'd have been a riot if we'd let him go to the draft and got nothing for him, admit it
+1
+ 0.5

The other 0.5 goes to recognise that the player believed he had more chance of a regular game at the other club. They might even have offered him a bit more money. Two "reasonable" reasons to go travel north. To be honest, in the games that I saw him play (live and on TV), he didn't look like a player with a future.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...how about some reality here.

1/ Top clubs often lose some players due to salary cap pressures. This is a reality of success.

NOTE WE LOST NO ONE OF REAL ESTABLISHED QUALITY!!!!!
The Cats lost Mummy to the Swans who had already shown he could play good football at AFL level and they wished they had him as the heir to Ottens now.

2/ Many bithced and moaned when we lost Ball after he walked out in similar circumstances....at least this time we have gained pretty fair value for him. Indeed must be just about a record. Not sure about the 68 pick though.....

The Swans have offered him over the odds $$$ which we could not match.

We now have 4 picks low enough that based on our recruiting last year we should get some reasonable young blood to the club..
Overall the trading period has been good for us.

With the 2 trades in and the two extr thirties picks we will have restored the age imblance in our list. This is good thing.

So while yes losing Tommy was not good...s*** happens...but right here and now there is a lot more sugar than s***.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
St Ick wrote:
saint66au wrote:Walsh wasnt going to Sydney "one way or another" He wanted out of St Kilda..the Club have made this pretty clear. If he'd walked to the draft he'd most likely be in the outer edges of Sydney in 2012 not the chardy sipping Bloods.

Im old school, but Im bitterly dissapointed that he's walked from a Club that put two years of development into him, and took a chance by drafting him in the first place. Watters stated bluntly he was wanted, for his leadership qualities too, but he still walks

Club got what they could for him, and the deal was fine based on his form not his reputation. There'd have been a riot if we'd let him go to the draft and got nothing for him, admit it
+1
+ 0.5

The other 0.5 goes to recognise that the player believed he had more chance of a regular game at the other club. They might even have offered him a bit more money. Two "reasonable" reasons to go travel north. To be honest, in the games that I saw him play (live and on TV), he didn't look like a player with a future.
That or the fact that Bondi has more Paddies than the UK, Thighs Kennedy or what ever that bald leprachaun c%$# is called would have been able to say, better climate, no one bothers you about footy, huge money, living away from vic allowance, more paddies, paid holiday.

We say few less games at sandy, less money than Sydney, crazy desperate fans that hate half our list, Will johnsons roomate in a bedsit at frankston. -Disloyal Paddy dog.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

2 points.

We got Schneids and Dempster because Sydney had SC issues (as per Paul Roos on OTC)

Everyone whinged when we got SFA for Ball. Walsh was not staying as relayd to Watters so what are we supposed to do? Let him go for nothing?

Fkn hell :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:2 points.

We got Schneids and Dempster because Sydney had SC issues (as per Paul Roos on OTC)

Everyone whinged when we got SFA for Ball. Walsh was not staying as relayd to Watters so what are we supposed to do? Let him go for nothing?

+1, pick 35 & 68 is pretty good compensation for someone that hasn't even played one game imo

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:2 points.

+1, pick 35 & 68 is pretty good compensation for someone that hasn't even played one game imo
And the Hawks only got pick 33 for Brent Renouff.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Between Tom Walsh and Tom Lynch

We have spent 5 years of development.

The International recruit who was the best young player in that game...and an amazing physical speciman....and a first round draft pick....

They finished 2nd and 3rd in Sandy's B&F

Therein lies the problem....trying to convince two guys who were bitter at being left to rot in the twos when clearly both should have been given their chances in a struggling outfit...

A few apologists try to argue defense for the piss poor development program under a short sighted coach....in the end it has cost us
Time and Money

For the massive investments we have made...our return is two third round draft picks....great work saints..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Between Tom Walsh and Tom Lynch

We have spent 5 years of development.

The International recruit who was the best young player in that game...and an amazing physical speciman....and a first round draft pick....

They finished 2nd and 3rd in Sandy's B&F

Therein lies the problem....trying to convince two guys who were bitter at being left to rot in the twos when clearly both should have been given their chances in a struggling outfit...

A few apologists try to argue defense for the piss poor development program under a short sighted coach....in the end it has cost us
Time and Money

For the massive investments we have made...our return is two third round draft picks....great work saints..
So Lynch left and played about 5 games this year. It didnt make him stay. If Walsh had played 5 or so games why would he have stayed? If I didnt get a promotion at work and I thought I deserved it I wouldnt leave 3 weeks after the guy who may not have given me the promotion left the place. I would stay and prove him wrong. Lynch left because he didnt want to stay for reasons unknown but also because we had little interest in keeping him. Walsh left for a huge difference in pay.

By the way they finished 3rd and 5th but hey that doesnt matter.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Everything is slower in Adelaide....so Lynchy may go ok there.

At the Saints we need more speed and better footskills.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

FWIW - it was mentioned in an article the other day that the Saints have been trying to get Walsh to sign a contract since mid year.

Obviously Walsh had chosen not to sign to see what else was forthcoming - maybe Keneally had a word into his ear telling Walsh that Sydney were interested and could offer him a larger contract.

He left for the money pure and simple - welcome to modern footy!!!

Unfortunately I'm getting the feeling that Saints may become a breeding ground of coaches and players for other teams to poach - even more so once free agency kicks in :(

Question remains have we are or are we in danger of becoming an undesirable club to play for - If our reputation wasn't bad enough it has taken an absolute caning this year and the real effects may yet to be seen.
Last edited by Devilhead on Tue 18 Oct 2011 3:42am, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

"Walsh, who is yet to make his AFL debut since crossing from Ireland in 2009, wants to join the Swans after they promised him greater opportunity.

But the Saints insist they won't let him leave, declaring Walsh a required player who they have tried to re-sign since the middle of the year."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6167495031

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!