Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:Lyin' tried to turn him into a shutdown defender and put the fear of God into him should be make a mistake.

To his detriment IMO. He's more a winger/half forward and would have played there more under a more daring coach.
couldnt agree more. unfortunately the damage has been done and till take another 1-2 years to undo the damage.

if we can get a good trade for him then we should seriously consider it

Mokester12

Raph is one of the few players we have that tries to run the lines. Sometimes he gets caught and that is all most people remember unfortunately. One of the most courageous players we have.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

ThePunter wrote:The problem with Raph this year was it was a "make or break" year, but he did just well enough (Rounds 17 & 24 are good examples) to make you think twice about it.

Personally, I think he's probably pretty low on the list of players to be re-signed. Dempster, Dawson, Ray & Peake will all get done before Clarke, and Raph will be left with what's left or probably the end of his AFL career.
Good point, he always shows just a little something, he was close to BOG in round 24 for mine but the week after was WOG. Raph is the ultimate teaser for us fans and considering the list of blokes lining up to take his spot he has to be on shaky ground. Good luck to him if he did leave though, seems a really great bloke and does a fair bit of charity work off his own back (not talking about spending a compulsory one day a month handing out soup either). Doesn't deserve to be kicked in the ass on the way out like some supporters will choose to do.

I think a trade for a similar pick that X got us would probably suffice, one would think he was on reasonable money too considering the years he has been on the list.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Saints 2012
Club Player

Raph will be delisted, no one wants him, including St Kilda, Ray, Dawson also will be delisted, Ray might get pick up but we will get nothing for him, Dawson career is over plain & simple

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Saints 2012 wrote:Raph will be delisted, no one wants him, including St Kilda, Ray, Dawson also will be delisted, Ray might get pick up but we will get nothing for him, Dawson career is over plain & simple
:lol: thats funny, wait, its a joke right?

Strength through Loyalty
saintjake
Club Player

Raph will be a good player.
He has natural flair, like Ray had at the Dogs.
I believe that players with natural flair should just be told to play their game.
RL obviously had roles for everyone and it took the flair out of players games. I'll still back him in now that he is away from RL to be a good player.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Saints 2012 wrote:Raph will be delisted, no one wants him, including St Kilda, Ray, Dawson also will be delisted, Ray might get pick up but we will get nothing for him, Dawson career is over plain & simple
Well you are right in some sense however no need to be a flog about it.

Tim Hazell, Clarke's manager has said that his client is currently without a contract and hasn't been offered one by St Kilda.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's so :oops: hearing Nathan Thompson talking about the crap Saints fans give Raph.

Sad when the opinion out there is he'd be better out of St Kilda because of the fans.

:(

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

He finished 17th in the B&F, having played 17 games.

Clubs will use the B&F in various ways to help construct their lists, set contracts and structure incentives.

To wash out the impact of games missed, the average votes per game gives a reasonable view of a players input over a year. Raph averaged 15.9 votes per game across his 17.

Fisher and Dal Santo both played 23 and both averaged a tick over 24 votes per game i.e. ~50% more than Raph.

Around Raph were the following average votes per game:
Gilbert - 16.0 (23 games)
Gram - 18.5 (20)
Jimmy - 17.4 (15)
Armitage - 13.3 (22)
Peake - 18.9 (19)
Steven - 16.4 (21)
Kosi - 12.3 (13)
Blake - 15.1 (12)
Dawson - 18.1 (20)
McEvoy - 16.6 (22)
Polo - 15.7 (15)
Ray - 9.0 (21)
BJ - 16.3 (23)

The numbers take no account of early departures from games through injury or starts as the sub.

Given Raph only played the 17 games, using the average, club recognised performance per game he moves up a couple of places from 17th in the B&F. He was only marginally behind BJ, based on the averages (16.3 vs 15.9).

I'm sure the club will use a "value" assessment in their list movements. But, on these numbers, Raph's performances certainly ain't bottom end. He's about mid pack.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Saints 2012
Club Player

I think Raph has had his chances at the club and they should now go with youth, if he was to be any good it would've happened by now, Dawson is liability one on one in defence.
Ray & Gram at their best are part of our top 23 problem is they are just notconsistant enough if we want to have a serious shot at winning a flag.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mokester12 wrote:Raph is one of the few players we have that tries to run the lines. Sometimes he gets caught and that is all most people remember unfortunately. One of the most courageous players we have.
this

would be disapointed if raph left as he will become a good honest first 22 player IMO. His defeinsive work is in our best 3 and reads the game very well. Needs to go with the first option whe he gets the ball. Also needs some cut out, problem is he has good skills and thus his team mates don't give him the cu ou others like a blake would get.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

hahaha how come Farren Ray & Zac Dawson both have contracts on the table and are very very close to signing? If you take Farren at his word then he will be signed up by end of the week, and Zac not far behind...

Saints 2012
Club Player

Raph will be delisted as he has no trade weight, we need to free up cash for salary cap & dawson & Ray are yet to resign, do the math, pretty simple.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Saints 2012 wrote:Raph will be delisted as he has no trade weight, we need to free up cash for salary cap & dawson & Ray are yet to resign, do the math, pretty simple.
Oh by that theory then Dempster, Blake, Walsh, Cahill & about 7 other players will be delisted :roll: :roll:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:
Mokester12 wrote:Raph is one of the few players we have that tries to run the lines. Sometimes he gets caught and that is all most people remember unfortunately. One of the most courageous players we have.
this

would be disapointed if raph left as he will become a good honest first 22 player IMO. His defeinsive work is in our best 3 and reads the game very well. Needs to go with the first option whe he gets the ball. Also needs some cut out, problem is he has good skills and thus his team mates don't give him the cu ou others like a blake would get.
But when Solar? How much time do we give him to become a good honest first 22 player? Especially when Walsh, Simpkin, Lynch are running around in the twos.

Is Raph played out of position?

Strength through Loyalty
Saints 2012
Club Player

we can't keep them all, the smart move to get rid of your weakest players while keeping the untried youth.

Public perception is a bitch as most saints fans know

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Given him an amazing set of chances when others have had far less.

Unfortunately for all concerned, it's probably time to see Raph moved on.

One feels he'll get plenty of good offers in second-tier leagues, so his future should be secured at that level - and he'll have earned excellent money being in the AFL system for eight years.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sadly Raph has had enough chances. Poor awareness and decision maker - gone. I really hope he finds a new home and his career continues. A WA club would suit him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saints 2012 wrote:I think Raph has had his chances at the club and they should now go with youth, if he was to be any good it would've happened by now, Dawson is liability one on one in defence.
Ray & Gram at their best are part of our top 23 problem is they are just notconsistant enough if we want to have a serious shot at winning a flag.
Dawson is a 25 year old 195cm key defender who can kick and was in the top 10 in the afl for 1%ers in 2011.
Good luck finding one of those.
He can improve his strength for sure - but he will be playing afl footy somewhere next year.

ThePunter
Club Player

I think Raph can be relied upon to keep running when others stop (see 2009 Prelim v WB), but has also been given many chances.

It's a really tough one, but I would, at the very least, be making sure Dempster and Dawson were signed before Clarke. And probably Ray.

To the top
SS Life Member

The Other Thommo neglects the games where he was a substitute - and you would assume received no votes.

So his average votes per full game improve.

Plus, he plays off half back flank - or deeper in defence post the loss of Gwilt.

Some on here have absolutely no idea.

And, to be quite frank, his disposal was on a par with Goddard who continually butchered the ball in 2011 and far, far exceeded Milne's woeful disposal when not in range of goal - and even then given the plethora of very easy shots he missed including on vital occasions.

No doubt those who want a side of:-

Milne Milne Milne
Milne Milne Milne
Milne Milre Milne
Milne Milne Milne
Milne Milne Milne
Milne Milne Milne Milne Milne

so we can average 2 goals a game are wondering why we have recruited the players we have so far recruited - and why the words pace and versatility, playing also thru the midfield are mentioned?

Have we recruited them to play in the VFL?

Because we have Milne?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Raph to Freo, strong rumour

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's so :oops: hearing Nathan Thompson talking about the crap Saints fans give Raph.

Sad when the opinion out there is he'd be better out of St Kilda because of the fans.

Yep, filth fans are said to be like an extra player.... us?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:It's so :oops: hearing Nathan Thompson talking about the crap Saints fans give Raph.

I believe he can make it, but I'm beginning to believe that it would be best for him to have a fresh start elsewhere. :?

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:

I believe he can make it, but I'm beginning to believe that it would be best for him to have a fresh start elsewhere. :?
So do I, on both counts... sometimes I even wonder if one of the reasons he seems to play better in the west and at the G is because he cant hear our 'fans' groan when he get the ball.