Why is Dawson being touted as trade bait?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
savatage wrote:Not sure why he'd pop out with a big manly physique suddenly next year guys...a lot of wishful thinking there!
Of course he wont but it doesnt stop some thinking you just do weights and look like Tarzan.
Ur a total douche plugger. Clrarly never played sport.
U can make large improvements in strength if u train and eat smart and hard. If u haven't seen people do it u have never played sport at any level.
I have a simple question for you then Con. Why hasnt he put on weight so he looks like Tarzan. Now that is an easy one. Just give us an answer to that. And what playing sport at any level has got to do with this is beyond me.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:afl.com.au article stating RL not interested in any former Saints players.
Some cruel people might suggest Ross wasn't that interested in certain St Kilda players while he was still at our club :wink:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Ick wrote:afl.com.au article stating RL not interested in any former Saints players.
Some cruel people might suggest Ross wasn't that interested in certain St Kilda players while he was still at our club :wink:
I hold grave fears for any bloke with the first name of Tom on the Freo list....

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Do you know how happy some of our young guns are now Ross has walked? Some including the much talked about lunch and Walsh have said they would not have stayed if Ross was still with us
Blessing in disguise
By the way I heard a number of clubs have shown interest in Walsh but we have played a straight bat and said he is well and truly off limits
I am sure plugger will say this is all bulls*** but I say it as I hear it

#1 Ryder fan
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:Not sure why he'd pop out with a big manly physique suddenly next year guys...a lot of wishful thinking there!
yeah...he seriously needs to bulk up those pathetic little arms. Sticks..

He gets monstered by the likes of Cloke. He looks frail and distinterested most of the time.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Do you know how happy some of our young guns are now Ross has walked? Some including the much talked about lunch and Walsh have said they would not have stayed if Ross was still with us
Blessing in disguise
By the way I heard a number of clubs have shown interest in Walsh but we have played a straight bat and said he is well and truly off limits
None of that surprises me at all.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Armitage should be just about the happiest.

Now he will actually be able to play as a hard nosed midfielder, busting packs rather than play as Ross' defensive forward. I hated that role for Armo.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so gram is on the table, and clarke apparently, baker gawn
now dawson
plus blake to not resign and looking like he might not stay with us (?)

cool that lives chips and jimmy to cover all the backline possies

yup

lets get rid of the full back
i mean lake has left the dogs
lets get him

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would be happy to keep Zac as our fullback if he could break that annoying habit of acting the toughie, and giving away stupid frees that end up as easy goals each week.

noob
Club Player

and put on 10kg of muscle

matrix
Saintsational Legend

why is he being touted as a trade potential?
1. he hasnt signed yet
2. most newspaper sites have him along with peake, ray and gram as potential trade prospects

i reckon thatd be the reason

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Dawson is okay on forwards without body strength.
..i.e. against a big forward he's no different to a Harry Taylor vs Cloke or Reid of Collingwood vs Hawkins - he can't take on a big forward with body strength.

We need someone like Lonergan too or instead .. someone tall with a body - who can shut out a Cloke or a Hawkins.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 12 Oct 2011 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How do Lonergan and Tommy Walsh compare for size? Walsh 195, 97kg. Lonergan ? ?
And then we have Archer. 193, 99kg. (Probably well over 100kg now)

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's lower/core body strength that comes into play... not so much body weight.

It's a pity that Gwilt isn't 195 cm tall.

Walsh may potentially be a better bet than Dawson vs big forwards - he would do at least as well IMO - seeing Cloke marks everything one on one vs Dawson.

Joffa 5
Club Player

samoht wrote:It's lower/core body strength that comes into play... not so much body weight.
I agree with this. Can't understand what the obsession is with Zac having big guns.... Not going to help in a one on one marking duel.

Perhaps it's just for eye candy???? In the Seinfeld tradition... Not that there's anything wrong with that :P

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've seen too many games where he lets us and his team mates down...the grey matter between Zac's ears may not be as easy to change as his body shape :wink: I say if we can get something for him - get rid of him :!: :!:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Might be a mistake if they trade out Dawson, FBs are much harder to replace than mids.... again unless it's a super deal the Saints way.
How many times did he have bags of goals kicked against him?

Also Gwilt will not be ready for the start of the season, and we don't know what's happening with Blake.

I hope the new coaches have a succession plan for the tall KP backs with any of Simpkin, Walsh, Johnson and Archer.

Stand your ground :shock:
defacto
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:Might be a mistake if they trade out Dawson, FBs are much harder to replace than mids.... again unless it's a super deal the Saints way.

Also Gwilt will not be ready for the start of the season, and we don't know what's happening with Blake.

I hope the new coaches have a succession plan for the tall KP backs with any of Simpkin, Walsh, Johnson and Archer.
small forward pocket players are just as tough to find. would love to get walters from freo and a higher draft pick for dawson

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Might be a mistake if they trade out Dawson, FBs are much harder to replace than mids.... again unless it's a super deal the Saints way.

small forward pocket players are just as tough to find. would love to get walters from freo and a higher draft pick for dawson
Yes what I've seen of Walters is impressive, small left footer and still only 20 - seems to be harder at the ball than many FP......

Need to get a decent DP/player for Dawson if they are going to trade.

They need more hard running mids as well, and I like the look of Simon Hogan and Rohan Bail. Bail can play F and B

Stand your ground :shock:
Richter
SS Life Member

We have one elite defender in Sammy Fisher and two guns in Jimmy Gwilt and Sam Gilbert. The rest are average (Raph, Dawson and the Blake). Overall, I think we get way more out of them as a unit than the sum of the individuals. Hence, there would seem to me to be little gained in trading any of them UNLESS one is touting for a serious wage increase, in which case only Jimmy would be one I'd accommodate. (Presuming that Sam Fisher is already in the top 5 paid players in the team).

Dawson, I think, is likely to have been getting paid near the minimum so is good value and not worth trading at present UNLESS his manager is looking to change this and he has serious offers elsewhere i doubt that he will be getting moved along.

For mine.... one more year from the Blake as back-up ruck and back-up defender, with Tom Simpson a likely bolter this coming year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
PJ
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:We have one elite defender in Sammy Fisher and two guns in Jimmy Gwilt and Sam Gilbert. The rest are average (Raph, Dawson and the Blake). Overall, I think we get way more out of them as a unit than the sum of the individuals. Hence, there would seem to me to be little gained in trading any of them UNLESS one is touting for a serious wage increase, in which case only Jimmy would be one I'd accommodate. (Presuming that Sam Fisher is already in the top 5 paid players in the team).

Dawson, I think, is likely to have been getting paid near the minimum so is good value and not worth trading at present UNLESS his manager is looking to change this and he has serious offers elsewhere i doubt that he will be getting moved along.

For mine.... one more year from the Blake as back-up ruck and back-up defender, with Tom Simpson a likely bolter this coming year.
I like Blakey alot and he has done some great work filling holes but I don't think we can stall the next level of development in our younger players for much longer. If you want Simpkin, Walsh, Stanley and others to come on they need game time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Richter
SS Life Member

I hear ya PJ, but at the moment we are thin on for back-up rucks, and Gwilty won't be back until mid year. Sure, be nice to see Walsh and Simpkin get a few games (Stanley I'm not sold on) but I feel we need some experienced cover too. JB.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
noob
Club Player

rookie list a tall vfl ruckman

defacto
Club Player

i'm not that concerned on the ruck stocks, our order of preference:
1) mcevoy
2) kozi
3) blake
4) stanley
5) archer

thats not that bad. force feeding stanley games wouldnt be that bad.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Blessing in disguise
just thought i would quote this with regard to the age article that has been posted on Tommy

No bragging rights just sick of plugger telling me i am full of it

#1 Ryder fan