Salary Cap Pressure- Fact or Fiction !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I've read they are struggling to satisfy Krakouer as they have come to terms with Dawes, and all of McCarthy, Macaffer, Beams and Davis are up in the air.
Sounds like us

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:So an extra $570k plus an extra $40k marketing service agreement payments.

Gardiner, Baker and McQualter off list and Eddy off rookie list.

Another $600k saved.

Lovett payout no longer counted in our salary cap which was the case for the past 2 years.

So how exactly are we even close to being over the cap for 2012?

It almost seems impossible!

Pelchen is either brilliant or just bloody lucky to now be in this great negotiating position at the start of trade week.
Exactly!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I've read they are struggling to satisfy Krakouer as they have come to terms with Dawes, and all of McCarthy, Macaffer, Beams and Davis are up in the air.
Only one of that 4 were GF players, and it is rumoured that Davis wants to go to WA, its not about the money.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When does Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke come into the Vetrens list Payment?????

Both 30 in 2012 and have been at the club ten years????

If Reiwoldt had half of his 900k not counted....surely that would be something

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:When does Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke come into the Vetrens list Payment?????

Both 30 in 2012 and have been at the club ten years????

If Reiwoldt had half of his 900k not counted....surely that would be something
I heard on SEN a while back from one of the list managers from a club, cant remember who, that the vets payments were going to be stopped. Have no idea if that is right though. Seems strange we wouldnt put Rooy on the list next year as he qualifies.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well thats ridiculous....if they decide to halt vets payments....

Our TPP scale would be directly related to Nick Riewoldt as his contract carries the most weight....if he signed a deal 3 years ago...surely it would come under the premise that his last season would be as a vet and that would be conditional to his contract....the afl cant just change the rules mid contract and penalise us for being over next year...because when his contract was calculated into forward planning that would have been the rules.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well thats ridiculous....if they decide to halt vets payments....

Our TPP scale would be directly related to Nick Riewoldt as his contract carries the most weight....if he signed a deal 3 years ago...surely it would come under the premise that his last season would be as a vet and that would be conditional to his contract....the afl cant just change the rules mid contract and penalise us for being over next year...because when his contract was calculated into forward planning that would have been the rules.....
Actually the more I think about it i think it was the year after when free agency starts. That way the club have 3 years notice which is the length of most of the longer term contracts. That would mean Rooy can go on next year. It seems strange we would be over when our 2 highest paid players, Rooy and Lenny, surely will be on the vets list next year.

derby Street
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:So an extra $570k plus an extra $40k marketing service agreement payments.

Gardiner, Baker and McQualter off list and Eddy off rookie list.

Another $600k saved.

Lovett payout no longer counted in our salary cap which was the case for the past 2 years.

So how exactly are we even close to being over the cap for 2012?

It almost seems impossible!

My theory is the "saints salary cap" story has come from player managers who have been fed a line by pelchen etc that there is no extra $s for the likes of Ray, Peake, jones etc because of salary cap at max.

Players have used this knowledge to try to leverage out offers for their players through the media and see what interest they can generate for all their players thinking one or two may have to be traded.

I think Pelchen has been happy to let the story run to see what player swap offers might come from other clubs without putting any of our players on the market (and make them feel unwanted) and now he has started to partially clear up the salary cap story to improve his negotiating position with clubs by saying we don't have to do this deal OR yes we can do the swap you want but you are going to have to pay some of the swapped players salary for us.

Pelchen is either brilliant or just bloody lucky to now be in this great negotiating position at the start of trade week.
Can't work out how we are in such strife with the s/c (admittedly I am not up to date on all the little nuances of the s/c) What has caught us out - paying over the odds for middle tier players, or is it our top players causing us all the heartache. I thought we employed people to make sure this type of situation doesn't occur.