Who just watched it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I feel asleep after watching all of GF1. The telly was still on and I bloody woke up with about 10 minutes to go in the replay. I watched the Weagles v Swans 2006 straight after.

Judd, Kerr and Cousins were brilliant early for the Eagles and they got out to a 3 or 4 goal lead. It seemed that Swans were only kicking goals by co-incidence or by the opposition turning it over. The Swans only really challenged because they had to take risks and try and catch-up. Typical swans fighting spirit got them back to within a kick before the final siren.

That first half reminded so much of the Swans style of play that developed under Roos and Lyon. Demetriou called it 'ugly football.' I think what it means is that; while other teams have a focus on goals and moving the ball forward the Swans, and in recent years the Saints players are too shitscared not to be focusing on zones, defense and restricting key play makers on the opposition side. Let's hope our new coach encourages some new strategies for attack some new options. If we get a couple of extra guys plonked onto the forward line as genuine goalkickers at worst we'll enjoy our footy a lot more, and at best we might get another crack.

saintnick12
Club Player

karnaby wrote:yeh. 1st time I've ever put myself thru a repeat of a finals loss (draw :cry: )
I thought it might be cathartic and somehow allow me to feel better about footy, pretty sure that was a bloddy stupid decision.

Some points I did notice tho:
Roo actually did have a good game. Could've, should've been paid 2 or 3 more frees, and a 50m, for being manhandled in marking contests.

Sam Fisher was very close to our best player.

We certainly made quite a few mistakes and at times kicked poorly but I firmly believe that we were worse in those areas this past season.

We all know that we missed Lenny this year but Gwilt's loss compounded things too, he has really developed into a versatile, reliable defender.

Blake wasn't great, but for all his limitations, he provides a lot of versatility and a viable backup ruck option if it is forced on us. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is not moved on which goes against the current consensus.
I agree re your comment about Roo. His performance in GF 1 is unfairly marked cos he played so badly in the replay and below his best (albeit with injury and bad weather) in 2009. He kicked 2 goals three in GF1. The third behind was that one that he kicked around the corner and maxwell only just touched on the line. The 4 other shots were all from long range and 2.2 is not terrible for him. To think just one more could have made the difference and he would be remembered in a different way.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.