on the couch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

Roos is right something did happen. His mate lost over a 7 figure sum in the GFC and needed more cash fast. He also needed to find a club stupid enough to give him 1.5 m up front. Hello Freo.
What a piss weak thing for Roos do hiding behind his 'I can't tell you but it's really bad' innuendo. Lost me too.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Agree with previous post. Too easy to be flippant about this but Roos made it clear something happened and Ross had little alternative but to leave. Implied it was serious and Westaway knows exactly what it was.

It will all come out soon.....it always does
Pelchan

saint4life
stinger
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Agree with previous post. Too easy to be flippant about this but Roos made it clear something happened and Ross had little alternative but to leave. Implied it was serious and Westaway knows exactly what it was.

no.. implied ceo knew what it was...nettlefold...not westaway....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
suss
Club Player

chook23 wrote:

Pelchan
Maybe it was Pelchen and a usurping of Lyon's power...it makes sense...but Roos is spineless rat for airing this without the full story.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Pelchan
Maybe it was Pelchen and a usurping of Lyon's power...it makes sense...but Roos is spineless rat for airing this without the full story.
yep....i liked roos...up until last night..... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saints65
Club Player

If Lyon, had to leave St Kilda would not he have resigned. He would have known Melbourne among other clubs were interested in him.

Its look like to me he was willing to stay with the saints, if a more attractive offer did not appear.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Roos looking after his mate - poor form using our club to do it and has lost me.

I guess that given Roos has to publicly, desperately attempt to restore some of Lyins credibility it tells us 1 thing: HE KNOWS and Ross knows that what Lyon did was effin despicable.

Lets be clear here, this guy has been PLAYING the St KFC along with other clubs, entertaining offers, comparing and taking the highest price possible. The rest is wondow dressing - and anyone who believes the "72 hr lockn load" crap is deluded. This deal had been discussed well in advance AND Id go as far as to bet Lyon went out of his way to ensure Freo knew he was available.I'd wager Mark Harveys version of this supports the latter...not Roos.

Lyin has KNIFED a fellow coach - he HAS to get his integrity "up" ...the whole family photo shoot was a farce. His name in the industry right now must be associated with RAT.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Lyin has KNIFED a fellow coach - he HAS to get his integrity "up" ...the whole family photo shoot was a farce. His name in the industry right now must be associated with RAT.
Word is that Harvey and many of his associates in the coaching fraternity think a bit stronger about Lyon than that.

Lyon has burnt a host of contacts in the industry, and what Sheedy said is the thin edge of the wedge.

Roos is just about his only friend left <edited>

Decided not to write that. Probably common knowledge by now but unsubstantiated and i dont want SS or myself to get into strife.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Who really cares what Roos says and what Ross did or didn't do? We all know Ross has been lying to us since he first walked through the door.
Hopefully the new coach will have more interest in the club as a whole.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Who really cares what Roos says and what Ross did or didn't do? We all know Ross has been lying to us since he first walked through the door.
Why would he BS? Unless it is Harvey, they wont have any affiliation with the STKFC.

Most coaches are mercenary, just some aren't are as ruthless and deceptive and heartless to their fellow coaches as Lyon the supreme mercenary.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Who really cares what Roos says and what Ross did or didn't do? We all know Ross has been lying to us since he first walked through the door.
Why would he BS? Unless it is Harvey, they wont have any affiliation with the STKFC.

Most coaches are mercenary, just some aren't are as ruthless and deceptive and heartless to their fellow coaches as Lyon the supreme mercenary.
Most coaches take on the job and do a great job encouraging members and supporters to participate. The club had to force Ross to have one open training session a month.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

some things are as old as they are new
On January 4, 1984, any national cricket triumph was worth celebrating, but a news flash between overs would prove more memorable.

Ian "Bluey" Hampshire, full-time plumber and part-time senior coach, had pulled the pin at Footscray.

Malthouse, aged just 30 and fresh from a playing career at Richmond, was already on the Bulldogs' radar having been secretly sounded out months earlier.He was not considered good enough to coach Central District in the SANFL, beaten for the job by St Kilda legend Kevin "Cowboy" Neale, but the Dogs were convinced Malthouse was their man.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6148410385

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What a total dip stick.

'Wasn't at the time'

Bit like saying well lenny wasn't in our best 22 the last half off this season so we should get rid of him.

Except worse cos ball was only 25.

Its called being injured. What a douche.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Regarding Ball - when so many say "he's a much better player now..." why does no one hold Ross Lyon accountable for not being able to get this from him?

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Most coaches take on the job and do a great job encouraging members and supporters to participate. The club had to force Ross to have one open training session a month.
Wait until Freo has closed sessions :)

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I reckon the board was telling him how to coach.
Well if they were that is a disgrace. I doubt it very much to be honest.
I agree, shouldn't ever happen.

Board either buys in to the style, or they don't.

Have my suspicions they did though.
Martin Blake on Twitter agrees with you SainterK. Blake has strongly suggested the Board was coercing Ross to change his game style and that this was behind Ross's adoption of the (losing) offensive game style in the EF. In his presser Ross said that match was lost at Match Committee.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Martin Blake on Twitter agrees with you SainterK. Blake has strongly suggested the Board was coercing Ross to change his game style and that this was behind Ross's adoption of the (losing) offensive game style in the EF. In his presser Ross said that match was lost at Match Committee.
Oh well "Martin Blake"....he'd be in the know wouldnt he?

So now the big, bad St Kilda Board ON THE EVE of finals coerced a guy who supposedly has "ice water" in his veins when it comes to pressure....to wilt and change his game plan?

Ferk off Martin and get back to hugging trees ya dog.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's hardly offensive to put Dempster in the forward line though is it, just shows how foreign it is to him. :o

Maintain that the board should never interfere with the gameplan, should of just let him go if they weren't willing to buy into ultra defensive football anymore.

Think this has been brewing for awhile, remember as far back as 12 months ago Ross trying to sell to the media that he was capable of getting the balance right, but Saints always reverted back to what we'd come to expect under Ross.

At first I wondered if Ross was tempted to Freo as they had the list to employ this amazing new GP that had been brewing in his mind, but I think it's going to be much of the same.

I understand the concerns that the style of football, and how isolated the club had become, so it's perhaps it's best for all concerned that it's ended this way.

ace
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:..said on tellie last night that if he had been asked for his advice..he would have told ross to leave...also said that the ceo was well aware of the reasons for judas leaving...apart from that he said sfa...apart from that he was ross's mate and therefore wouldn't be discussing it publicly...yeah yeah... :roll: :roll:
Yeah not only the CEO knows the reason for him leaving, we all know.

MONEY.
Last edited by ace on Wed 28 Sep 2011 1:09am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK, the suggestion was indeed (as you say) that "this had been brewing for a while" and that it was under pressure emanating from sponsors.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

somethings not right is it
somwhere

something smells fishy

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lyons had 5 years to develop some sort of attacking game style at St Kilda to go with the 2009 defensive master piece (and it was). He has failed to do that....why?

Ross Lyon has a coaching ethos that says "win games now" - underpinning this is the absolute belief that defence conquers all. Thats fine, except when another side (called Collingwood)...not only matches your defensive strategy easily.......but then ups the ante by becoming a fast, highly attacking, high scoring side at the same time....u hit trouble.

Lyon will struggle to change - even his GF in Roos admits "Ross loves his role players..."

Dont get me wrong hes a great coach that has the undeniable ability to get the whole team to play a consistent brand.....but he only knows 1 brand.....and with that brand comes no development of youth.

Why can Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood ALL introduce and continue to play kids (see Fasolo) while we struggle?....up till this year Armitage/Steven were struggling to get a regular game. Surely when you win 19 in a row in 2009.....u can pump some games into some kids?????

Not in his style.

Freo will improve. They will then plateua at around 10-13 goals a game, lose key matches where youre required to take the game on and take a risk to win it.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:SainterK, the suggestion was indeed (as you say) that "this had been brewing for a while" and that it was under pressure emanating from sponsors.
cr@p - f@Rk off u media troll.

This is a BS beat up that makes no sense at all.

Next item on the Board Meeting Agenda: "playing via the corridor"..... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: on the couch

Moods wrote:
stinger wrote:
......after noddy stating that the saints would regret for a long long time judas telling ball he was not in the saints best 22 players.....said ball wasn't at the time...but was now a far far better footballer.......
......No way Ball is the same footballer now as he was back at the end of 09. Now that may well be Lyon's fault. It may well be the fact that the pies sports medicine staff are superior to ours, it may be that Luke Ball pulled his finger out. Any way you look at it though Ball was a dead set plodder in 09 - he is now pretty much back to where he was in 05.

At the time I 100% agreed with Lyon....Ball has shown the character to prove he's no where near finished.

Just b/c Ball had a good GF in 09 doesn't mean he was some sort of star not being given a fair go. He was terrible in the prelim and his only game of note in the 2nd half of that season (other than the GF) was the game against the hawks in Launceston.
Well maybe Ball was injured, have you ever thought that. Don't remember anyone thinking he was a star, although some thought he was not given a fair go....

Stand your ground :shock:
sRaf
Club Player

Roos has always come across as a fair and honest man. I don't see why we should completely disregard what he said last night.

There does seem to be an ugly side to this story that's yet to surface. Time will tell.