Lyons stint - No forward planning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Grant Thomas handed over a much better team to Lyon, than Lyon has left for the next coach
And had a hand in building that team, too.
Well in RL defence, GT had great picks where as RL didnt get any real good picks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you mean

No forward line planning???

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Grant Thomas handed over a much better team to Lyon, than Lyon has left for the next coach
And had a hand in building that team, too.
Well in RL defence, GT had great picks where as RL didnt get any real good picks.
True, but I stongly suspect that Grant coached for those picks in his first two or three seasons. After that his record is very good and comparable with Ross Lyon's.

Not a bad effort considering the injuries that dogged us. Of course this was before we spent up on proper conditioning, etc

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Bit sick of this talk that Lyin' did remarkably well with a poor list.

I reckon our list over the last few years has been very good.

I don't want this rat to have this type of credit.

Nothing due in that regard.

Stay west you rat.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

a few on here have been contending that with more astute selections and development, and better coaching... we really should have had 2 premierships to our name

how Andrew McQualter kept his place in the team for almost all of 2010 is simply beyond me...
I can appreciate that come GF week there were few players left to choose from but we could have actually developed someone instead of the 15 pointless stupid games Mini played (And I widely acknowledge that he was never going to be dropped after his pre-lim game which whilst not great was an ok performance from him)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:a few on here have been contending that with more astute selections and development, and better coaching... we really should have had 2 premierships to our name

how Andrew McQualter kept his place in the team for almost all of 2010 is simply beyond me...
I can appreciate that come GF week there were few players left to choose from but we could have actually developed someone instead of the 15 pointless stupid games Mini played (And I widely acknowledge that he was never going to be dropped after his pre-lim game which whilst not great was an ok performance from him)
Who should have played instead of Mini throughout the year. Wasnt Steven injured a lot of the year and the same with Armo. There werent many other options.We had a list that didnt deserve to draw a GF let alon win it but we did draw it thanks to 2-3 players doing an unbelievable job and great coaching throughout the year that got us to the last day.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Who should have played instead of Mini throughout the year. Wasnt Steven injured a lot of the year and the same with Armo.
Further to that point, in 2011, when Armo and Steven played forward, they didn't do particularly better than Mini or Eddy. Personally, I think Lyon was clever in acknowledging that the fifth and sixth forwards at this club were unlikely to see much ball, and playing defensively responsible forwards was one of the reasons we got to two grand finals.

IMO, it all comes down to stats. Drop Mini, his stats are bad. Play armo in the midfield, his stats are bad. Forwards don't get stats, particularly small forwards, so people here will always be complaining about them. Even Milne gets complained about, and he's one of the best small forwards ever.

Yeah nah pleasing positive