SportsNewsFirst - Lyon certain to Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:I know some players won't mind seeing the back of Lyon.
Well Rooey still hangs out with GT. And that is a fact!

Grrrrr
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Maybe there is a reason for this supposed indifference from St Kilda to keeping Ross Lyon.

I do think Ross is going to Melbourne. Have done now for a few weeks.

BUT.

I reckon there is a bigger name coming back to St Kilda. Don't know how he will go coaching Stephen Milne though.....
Now that would be interesting, crossed my mind that Malthouse may come back to us, but too much bad blood? Dunno.

markp
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Teflon wrote:If so, sack the Board.

This is a fargon disgrace - outbid by a deplorable rabble in melbourne.

What kind of a joke are we running?
Maybe the club doesn't actually want him that bad?

Maybe they weren't outbid at all. Maybe they are happy for him to move on.
If they don't want him that bad, then they are farking clueless
Calm down people. Plenty of time to bag the club if and when this turns out to be true.

In the meantime, take time to ponder how this wicketless wonder based in Perth has managed to out scoop the entire Melbourne journalistic cesspool :?

Nothing's changed IMO.
Thats easy to answer. They are first at making up the story, so if it happens to be true they will claim they had the "exclusive". They have no scoop, just write a piece and hope it comes true.
Yup, and in the meantime their anonymous site gets free plugs all over town.... :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

me too tef

is this turns out to be true this is a f****** disgrace
do the board think he cant take us any further?

what? they have plans to go with harvey for a year and then get malthouse?

be real

this better be complete bollocks
the day this is announced ill drop a sickie and go out and mow the block as the misses will not want to be around me on that day, and neither will anyone at work.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:"Kim John Hagdorn (born 8 April 1955 in Subiaco, Western Australia) is a former first-class cricketer and Australian sports journalist.

Hagdorn was selected as a right-arm medium-fast bowler and played the opening match for the West Australian first-class cricket side in the 1977/78 Sheffield Shield season. He only bowled 6 overs for no wickets and did not get to bat as Western Australia beat Tasmania by an innings and 14 runs.[1] He was replaced for the next match by Wayne Clark and was not selected again.

That was 2008. Perhaps nothing's really changed. :roll:
Let me get this straight, this guy plays one match and is declared a first-class cricketer. :roll:

Oh okay, I went ot the zoo yesterday, now I'm a koala bear.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Grrrrr wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Maybe there is a reason for this supposed indifference from St Kilda to keeping Ross Lyon.

BUT.

I reckon there is a bigger name coming back to St Kilda. Don't know how he will go coaching Stephen Milne though.....
Now that would be interesting, crossed my mind that Malthouse may come back to us, but too much bad blood? Dunno.
It makes me sick to the stomach to think of Malthouse coaching the Saints ...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
Grrrrr wrote:

BUT.

I'd take Andrew Demetriou as coach if it meant us winning a flag.

Hang on, I reckon that'd be possible lol!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:
Grrrrr wrote:

BUT.

I'd take Andrew Demetriou as coach if it meant us winning a flag.

Hang on, I reckon that'd be possible lol!
This.

I wouldn't have a problem with him coaching us.... but he'd never coach us because he clearly hates us - or at least he hates Milney.

older saint
SS Life Member

Grrrrr wrote:

BUT.

Severely doubt this as I believe Malthouse has in his contract a clause which does not allow him to coach elsewhere in 2012if he leaves collingwood, and if he does he foregoes a large amount of money as part of his payout. Hence why his management has insisted he will not be coaching in 2012.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Sportsnewsfirst has a good record and is fast rising in the credibility stakes.

It has close links to Connors management, which I think partly funds it.

Now I know Lyon isn't a Connors client but managers have their fingers more closely on the pulse than most others in the industry (journos included).

Just because we don't like the content of it, doesn't mean it can't possibly be true.

Mark my words, this just went up a notch.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

B W and R all over wrote:Sportsnewsfirst has a good record and is fast rising in the credibility stakes.

Now I know Lyon isn't a Connors client but managers have their fingers more closely on the pulse than most others in the industry (journos included).

Just because we don't like the content of it, doesn't mean it can't possibly be true.

Fair point, but its not just that we don't like it ( in fact, I bet a lot of people on this site do like it but that's another story :roll: ) but the way the article is written seems more like someone's opinon than anything else.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There's dozens of good assistants out there these days.

If you are going to change coach, now is a good time before Adelaide and Port snap the good ones up.

Look, we're rebuilding anyway. So why not rebuild totally again? We've made no money and gained no fans whilst we've been really good on-field, so why is stability in keeping the coach so important now?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:There's dozens of good assistants out there these days.

If you are going to change coach, now is a good time before Adelaide and Port snap the good ones up.

Look, we're rebuilding anyway. So why not rebuild totally again? We've made no money and gained no fans whilst we've been really good on-field, so why is stability in keeping the coach so important now?
Ross Lyon has shown an ability to get his teams coaching consistent, solid, defence-based football (learnt from mentor Paul Roos) that would stand up in any era. I believe he makes teams 10% better than their pure talent levels.

Then there is the issue that our club has lacked stability over its history, and we more than any other clubs should be aiming for long-term stability as a primary goal.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:"Kim John Hagdorn (born 8 April 1955 in Subiaco, Western Australia) is a former first-class cricketer and Australian sports journalist.

Hagdorn was selected as a right-arm medium-fast bowler and played the opening match for the West Australian first-class cricket side in the 1977/78 Sheffield Shield season. He only bowled 6 overs for no wickets and did not get to bat as Western Australia beat Tasmania by an innings and 14 runs.[1] He was replaced for the next match by Wayne Clark and was not selected again.

Let me get this straight, this guy plays one match and is declared a first-class cricketer. :roll:

Well he's taken no more first class wickets, or made no more first class runs, than either of us :wink:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

Ross Lyon has shown an ability to get his teams coaching consistent, solid, defence-based football (learnt from mentor Paul Roos) that would stand up in any era. I believe he makes teams 10% better than their pure talent levels.

Then there is the issue that our club has lacked stability over its history, and we more than any other clubs should be aiming for long-term stability as a primary goal.
The defence stood up in the 2nd half of the year, but defence isn't enough these days.

That's a fact. You need to be able to score heavily aswell.

To date, the best effort in that regard from Lyon has been to play on all the time.

The fact that we still couldn't kick more than 12 goals each week suggests that that isn't a good enough strategy!

But, having said that, I still think the board would be worried about people not watching us. No one I know, aside from real die hard Saints fans bother to watch us play.
People whinge when they find out that we're the Friday night game. They reckon it ruins their whole night knowing that it's us that are playing when they get home from work!

It's a business now. And making two Grand Finals in a row, yet still not being able to get serious memberships numbers and making financial losses is a disaster.

Right or wrong in the eyes of genuine footy fans, I think it's a serious factor in whether the Board will want Lyon to stay or go.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

Well he's taken no more first class wickets, or made no more first class runs, than either of us :wink:
There's hope for us then! :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

The defence stood up in the 2nd half of the year, but defence isn't enough these days.

That's a fact. You need to be able to score heavily aswell.

To date, the best effort in that regard from Lyon has been to play on all the time.

The fact that we still couldn't kick more than 12 goals each week suggests that that isn't a good enough strategy!

But, having said that, I still think the board would be worried about people not watching us. No one I know, aside from real die hard Saints fans bother to watch us play.
People whinge when they find out that we're the Friday night game. They reckon it ruins their whole night knowing that it's us that are playing when they get home from work!

It's a business now. And making two Grand Finals in a row, yet still not being able to get serious memberships numbers and making financial losses is a disaster.

Right or wrong in the eyes of genuine footy fans, I think it's a serious factor in whether the Board will want Lyon to stay or go.
We had record membership numbers this year.

We were given 6 friday night matches this year.

I don't think he was hurting us too much commercially.

Let's be exciting Essendon and lose games 150-110 every week.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If Malthouse becomes an employee of the St Kilda Football Club, that would just about do me. No more membership, no more raffle tickets, no more merchandise, no more energy or emotion wasted on this club.

The man is lying scum. He is the lowest of the low. His coaching ability is vastly overrated because of an excellent list and an enormous football department budget.

It saddens me greatly that this man was ever part of this fantastic club.

Sorry to get off topic. Carry on.....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne is a club that has always struggled for members.

Melbourne is a club that almost merged and more recently had to hold an enormous fund drive to get itself out of massive debt.

Melbourne is a club that has a lot of talented kids but not so many older guns.

So why are the throwing a ridiculous amount of money, and it’s money they probably haven’t even got, at Ross?

According to many on here, the Ross Lyon game plan involves boring football. So boring that some even refuse to go and watch it. How will this help the Dee’s membership drive?

According to many on here, Ross does not have the ability to develop kids. If that’s the case, Melbourne appears a very strange destination.

Ross may indeed by a “big nameâ€

matrix
Saintsational Legend

how long has malthouse been at the pies??
reckon he was given that list?
prob had a big say in it i reckon

anyhoo
lets hope SEN is wrong and he doesnt come here...because ross will sign this week

:?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote: We had record membership numbers this year.

We were given 6 friday night matches this year.

I don't think he was hurting us too much commercially.

Let's be exciting Essendon and lose games 150-110 every week.
The above 2 should be absolute givens when you've played in successive Grand Finals.

But we didn't make any money from it! We won't get Friday night's now, and I'd doubt we'll see a huge membership boost either.

Our 'record membership' was not as big as it should have been, the ratings weren't as good as they should have been, and our attendances weren't as good as they should have been - given our on-field success in terms of win/loss.

The last line, personally I agree with. But in reality, footy's a business and just winning games doesn't cut it anymore.

You need to be marketing a good product. I don't think Lyon's 'product' is an easy one to market. And the figures would suggest that I'm right.

Personally, I'd rather win and couldn't give a s*** what people like to watch. But I can understand that I'm a minority these days in this regard. Footy is entertainment, and money is how yo survive.

The board would surely be very mindful of this. As hard as that is to swallow for diehard Saints fans.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
B W and R all over wrote:Sportsnewsfirst has a good record and is fast rising in the credibility stakes.

Fair point, but its not just that we don't like it ( in fact, I bet a lot of people on this site do like it but that's another story :roll: ) but the way the article is written seems more like someone's opinon than anything else.
Can see why it sounds like opinion, mainly because there are no quotes attributed.

But wouldn't that be the condition of the sources. Why would one of Ross' confidantes put his name publically to what he's saying?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
markp
Saintsational Legend

This thread is the perfect example of why unsubstantiated crap gets reported and printed in the media in the first place.... "Lyon is believed to be preparing to tell his Saints players that he will most likely head to Melbourne."... they are just guessing, and you're all eating it up.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im hungry

its gossip
i still deep down reckon he will stay
he'll meet with management this week
and sign

:?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: To date, the best effort in that regard from Lyon has been to play on all the time.

At some point you have to acknowledge that we don't have as many skillful players as the best few sides, you can change the game plan all you like, but when you are carrying 6 blokes that can't kick any better than me the coach can only do so much…

No coach or game plan was going to magically take us back to the top of the table - that is a fact…

Malthouse and the Pies are a good example of sticking by a coach, 2 grand final losses, but they showed faith even through 2 awful years, I couldn't give a rats tossbag what the 'genuine footy fans' think. I'm sure if we had a very even and skillful kicking team, Ross would design our game plan to suit…

We play dour footy at the moment because we don't have the skill to play like the Cats of the past 5 years, it's remarkable that we've made 2 GF's really with some of the players we've had… R Lyon = super footy brain, certainly not the best 'entertainer' coach…