Deplorable skills

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jones and Polo are the worse two midfield kicks in the afl....surely

They often dont even kick drop punts...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

As a rule, does BJ turn the ball over???

Surely he can miss a target or two??
Is he a serial offender or are you using one example to try and validate a poor argument....like

One thing i can tell you....i would rather he had the ball than
Polo, gilbert, jones, blake, dawson, geary, peake, clarke, gram.....notice they qre all defenders...poor gameplan with a modern press to have our worse kicks backward of the centre, where they are under the pump....

Worked in 2008/2009 with a midfield zone (the defenders had time and space to switch and kick under no pressure, until fisher, goddard, gwilt got the ball)

thats where the critisism of our pre season came into effect.....it was mentioned that we had not altered our game plan to improve qnd counter the presw
I have no idea what you are on about. I wasnt arguing anything. I asked the guy what was his point. Yes we have poor kicks but what can we do about it. i would suggest we play like we do because we do have poor kicks. Only a suggestion unlike your facts on how we shouldnt or should play.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not continue to recruit them...

Polo was moved on from richmond due to poor disposal......why did we draft him....to play another role and get exposed by top shelf teams

Another unskilled player to join the defensive hord of players in the side already...and we did this last season....

The lack of development of our kids because 25yo rejects get games to play a defensive role is killing their progress......

Lenny fit....steven still a bit part player...
Gardiner fit.....mcevoy the same

It took necessity to give them opportunity...

And what a job this season with armo and lynch.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not continue to recruit them...

Polo was moved on from richmond due to poor disposal......why did we draft him....to play another role and get exposed by top shelf teams

Another unskilled player to join the defensive hord of players in the side already...and we did this last season....

The lack of development of our kids because 25yo rejects get games to play a defensive role is killing their progress......

Lenny fit....steven still a bit part player...
Gardiner fit.....mcevoy the same

It took necessity to give them opportunity...

And what a job this season with armo and lynch.....
Maybe Armo and Lynch arent good enough. Why is it the coaches fault? Maybe our recruiters just picked the wrong players. Who knows about all these things apart from you.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought it was pretty obvious.....Not just to me...

Who knows if lynch or armitage is not good enough
Lynch has not had a good run at it
Armitage was flying solo at midway.....then got demoted for steven in the one kid in the square policy....and steven capitalised on gumby opponents...

The decision tolay armo as a pure forward pocket was not a good one...

By the way
What was you take on dempster starting fwd last night???

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dempster forward was stupid imo

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hard to fathom that it has taken some people this long to figure out we have average skills.

In 2009 we were average in skills but had the superior game plan. 2010 our skills weren't anything but MoR but our game plan was effective enough to beat most teams who still hadn't perfected the zone/press.

This year gameplans of most teams caught up to ours and our "tweeking" by the coach didn't really take us to the next level.

Our skills have always been below par, just covered by brilliant tactics and role players.

It almost won us a flag or two, nobody can deny that, but it will now cost us going forward.

Personally I cant see another tilt until late in this decade.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why joffa

Lack of developing players....poor recruiting (09)

Why do you think were cooked...

Were we short sighted in our quest to win one flag we forgot about tje following years

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why joffa

Were we short sighted in our quest to win one flag we forgot about tje following years
Hopefully we were short sighted in trying to win the flag. When you have won one in 114 years we should be completely short sighted. I suppose we have only been up since 2004 so that is a pretty poor effort.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:In numerical order, these guys have sub-AFL standard foot skills IMO:

Gram
Steven
Jones
Dawson
Clarke
Geary
Gilbert
Ray
Blake
Peake
Polo

With occasional cameos by Joey & Dempster.

Far, far, FAR too many to carry. We need players who we can rely on to hit the target 95% of the time in the Goddard/Dal mould.

This list is spot on except for Dawson and Clarke who I think it is an illusion that their foot skills are bad. Both are actually quite good by foot.

The rest are bad. And if it were not for Dal Santo and Goddard with exceptional skills we would be the worst in the league.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

North Melbourne is the worst by foot team... we're probably bottom 4... not much better than North.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

Geelong, collingwood, hawthorn....good effort

We did not capitalise on a core of champions, if you want to be completely honest....

And if you put all your eggs in one basket....that is very poor indeed..
What if you miss that chance....that are not easy to win...you nedd to continue to build from tje bottom....not the top...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

You can ONLY EVER be short sighted. The season in front of you.

FFS the team had chances in 04 and 05 on youth. The team got to two GF's with the role players and the gameplan.

Personally I wouldn't have swapped what lyon and the team did for us in 09 and 10 for any halfarsed theory in hindsight :roll:

Lyon gave us our best chance for a flag in 40 years.

I knew after the drawn GF we were done. It was a solid 6 or 7 year shot that was finished then.

After round two I started a thread as I could see the writing on the wall, especially after Lenny went down. It was do we have a crack or completely rebuild.

As for this thread, my post was an observation of what has happened. I knew as soon as I posted you would reply because everything on here is about you and your fkn huge ego.

Well, you may bemoan and whinge, but I for one am happy RL went down the path he did. One thing is fact, he got us to two GF's, and we almost won a flag if not two.

Your whinge is unprovable, unless you have a time maching can go back, become coach (as you obviously think you can do), develop all our youngsters in 09 and 10 and see if we make a GF :roll:

Oh and let me guess your reply - we still have no flags now and we would be in a better position because of all of our developed youngsters??

Well if thats the case you would have sacrificed 09 and 10 on something that may happen in the future?? yeah good one :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was there any point in having adam pattison on the list in 2010

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Was there any point in having adam pattison on the list in 2010
while we are all venting i'd also like to know why we backed our medical staff in to fix Jesse Smith, yet let heart and soul clubmen like goose, X Clarke and Ball go?

Also a good point raised with regards to polo being delisted by the tiges for poor disposal.

Who did they then go out and recruit?

Bachar Houli- sublime kick of the football who had a teriffic year.

This is what going backwards feels like people. Hold on tight.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Hopefully we were short sighted in trying to win the flag. When you have won one in 114 years we should be completely short sighted. I suppose we have only been up since 2004 so that is a pretty poor effort.
Generally, I think you can do both.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Anyway...can't do anything about the past...it's what happens from now that's important.....I hope Ross does cut deep and cleans out some of the gumbies.

Don't know where the replacements will come from or if they'll be ready to play or will have to do a 4 year apprenticeship and then get dumped for the next batch because the recruiters stuffed up.

I'd hate to see them try and get another year out of the same squad...that would be a waste of time and effort....:oops:

Luckily there are people at the club earning bucketloads of cash to make these decisions...The pressure is on them...if we get it wrong and slide too far then the fair weathered will drop off and we'll struggle for revenue and eventually we'll have to go to the AFL for a hand out.....:shock:

How bleak should we paint this picture .....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.