A curious question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Why would McBurney get games and GF's if he is no good. That just doesnt make sense.
Of course it doesn't make sense - this is the AFL we're talking about.
Well that is a great response. Have you actually you are wrong about him because that makes a lot more sense than your answer.
The AFL's idea of a 'good umpire' would be vastly different to the average footy fan's idea of a good umpire.

The AFL like the guys who can do all the actions correctly and with lots of theatre - the average footy fan couldn't give a f*** about how they prance around.

The AFL like the guys who bounce the ball consistently well. The average footy fan couldn't give a s***, most would rather they just threw it up and worried about more important stuff.

The average footy fan thinks a good umpire can determine whether an 'infringement' played any part in the outcome of the contest, and whether or not it was merely incidental - and not blow the whilstle and stop play and ruin a good contest, simply because technically a bloke's fingernail touched his opponent above the shoulder.

The AFL however don't think this matters one iota. They think good umpires are the ones who do exactly what they tell them to do without using their own brains at all.

So a guy like McBurney is probably a hero down at AFL house. He'd be getting great results in all his KPIs as set out by Geischen.

The problem is, for the people that actually watch the game he makes a mess of it and is shocking.

The same as McLaren. He was a terrible umpire.
Funny that the average supporter thinks the AFL GF is always the best umpired game of the year and I think McBurney has done at least 3 of them. Also the average supporter likes correct decisions and if McBurney has done so many GF's then I think that part of his game must be pretty good unless of course you dont think the AFL worry about that. Expecting a response like that wouldnt really matter to the AFL.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The average one eyed fan doesnt think rationally about umpiring..ever..

When Roo was paid that downfield free right on half time, kicked the goal and the siren went, the Roos fans gave the umps a pretty rowdy reception as they walked off. Saints fans were yelling "Oh have a big sook" even tho I will garuantee that 90% of them had no idea what the free to Roo was for

..but of course if it had been Petrie on the end of that free, we'd have screamed the place down, calling the umpires cheats, corrupt etc etc..so its OK for Saints fans to do it..but noone else :wink:

Some rabid fans just arent happy unless the free count is about +10 in our favour..thats about par for some

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Some rabid fans just arent happy unless the free count is about +10 in our favour..thats about par for some
It was about that last night and the people around me were still not happy, the ones next to me had absolutely no idea :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Havent heard that stat before.

There was an absolutely shocking non decision against Petrie. Dawson arm chopped the crap out of him , then caught him high in marking contest. Petrie still held the ball but finally had it knocked out. Should have been a mark or a free kick.

But Kosi had a mega arm chop as well for no free kick. Loyd et all were ranting that it was a mark he should have taken, in the context of the game he should have grabbed it.

Yes also clearly noted how depressive and flat Lane, Walls and loyd became as we srarted taking control.

It was pathetic commentating. Try and stay interested you morons, you get paid for it.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Apparently being a good bouncer counts as an umpire.

So the best umpires may not get a game because they cannot bounce as well as some.

Oh well, after all it's more of form of entertainment than a sport these days thanks to Adrian and Andrew.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Back to th op. I find it an interesting stt to bring up. Might just be field positioning for the particular umpire.

Anyway razor my favorite umpire ever since I called him a useless little man at etihad and he turned to me and laughed.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The amount of frees paid, and whom they're paid to is utterly irrelevant.

The free kick count could be 86-1 and the game may have been umpired really well.

The free kick count could be 21-21 and the game may have been murdered by the umpires.

It's the most irrelevant, and potentially dangerous stat there is. If the umpiring fraternity and the AFL pay this stat the slightest attention, then god help us.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The average one eyed fan doesnt think rationally about umpiring..ever..
Not all footy fans are one-eyed.

But clearly, when taking any form of feedback in regards to any facet of the footy, it's always risky to take it too seriously when it's from supporters of a club that's directly involved.

My comments are not in relation to Saints games though. It's in general. Probably moreso for neutral games, because I'm basically trying to be entertained - and the umpires (particularly McBurney, and Chamberlain and Vozzo) ruin it by getting way too involved.

It drives me mental watching a game that McBurney umpires. He just refuses to allow a contest to occur without getting involved.