StKilda vs North Preliminary Final 1997

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
matrix wrote:sweeet

someone went to a lot of trouble 8-)
Scott 'tv freak' Goodings was the main man behind it , from what i understand the AFL wouldnt let them sell it at the ground on match day because as they said it was in competition too the footy record
Can understand why the afl thought that, I would rather buy that than the records these days

I love this club
mcadam05
Club Player

try Mario down at Gardenvale i think he has some but your right i havent seen any come up on ebay

i shouldnt mention the 23 issues of the " plugger comix " that came out in 1994 done by john spud it was a 8 page comic done for every game plus issue 23 was about him leaving the club

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok i want every copy
someone go to marios and buy them for me
im a bit far away 8-) 8-)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

i want

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mcadam05
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:i want

mario is a good bet but i guess the good thing is you know what your looking thats half the battle now you just have too find them too win the war :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:try Mario down at Gardenvale i think he has some but your right i havent seen any come up on ebay

i shouldnt mention the 23 issues of the " plugger comix " that came out in 1994 done by john spud it was a 8 page comic done for every game plus issue 23 was about him leaving the club
My dad's got the set of plugger comix. Absolute brilliance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Austinnn
Club Player

I was at that game too. My first year of going to games regularly. Not a bad way to start.

Don't remember much about it except the huge adrenalin kick in the crowd knowing that we were going to the GF. I don't think anyone in that stand had any doubt that we'd be premiers that night. I certainly didn't.

Oh well.

Thanks for the upload!

Who let Wayne Rooney into the North Melbourne team? Oh, it's Mick Martin.

Shame "Boxhead" Heatley never really made it, he was a dead-eye but not much else in the end. Is he still coaching? Maybe he can help Riewoldt out with his kicking.

Excuse my ignorance, but people were talking about what happened to Leowe before the GF; what happened? I know about Winmar, but can't remember Leowe. All I know is that he was double/triple teamed out of the GF.
Last edited by Austinnn on Thu 25 Aug 2011 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:I was at that game too. My first year of going to games regularly. Not a bad way to start.

Don't remember much about it except the huge adrenalin kick in the crowd knowing that we were going to the GF. I don't think anyone in that stand had any doubt that we'd be premiers that night. I certainly didn't.

Oh well.

Thanks for the upload!

Shame "Boxhead" Heatley never really made it, he was a dead-eye but not much else in the end. Is he still coaching?

Excuse my ignorance, but people were talking about what happened to Leowe before the GF; what happened? I know about Winmar, but can't remember Leowe. All I know is that he was double/triple teamed out of the GF.
I believe a close family member tried to commit suicide.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to the shed and pulling the Marching Ins out. I remember the article with Barry and his HR holden too. They sold it at Waverley just outside the gate it was awesome. I went to a launch at the Post office hotel one night for it but got a little uncivilised first and can't remember it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was at that match - a great night for the Saints supporters. The papers and the AFL Record had written us off and were talking up how good North were- as if we didn't exist. A pity we lost Everitt and Vidovic for the GF.-we would have won it with them in.

spert
Saintsational Legend

On a sour note- I've seen us look like a premiership contender and go into 97, 09, 10 and come away with nothing each time..I'm really sick of it to be honest. While I think RL has done a great job, his unwillingness to take risks or deviate from the plan probably means we won't get a flag under him, as the GF is another ball game altogether and a lot of those systems get thrown out the window on the day...enough of my rant ..sorry guys.

Austinnn
Club Player

I think we're all sick of it mate! Not much we can do about the past but use it to prepare for the future.

RL too conservative to win GF? Dunno; he did put Sam Gilbert in the forward line on both GFs last year, although he could have done it earlier in the replay - only Sam's terrible goal kicking stopped that move being matchwinning. He also chose to bring Bakes back for the first GF; big risk considering he'd been out so long before. I suppose they were all plans though and really that's what you're talking about; improvising.

Yes, it's true that most of us would prefer him to be a bit more reckless/instinctive, like putting Shane Ellen in the forward line in '97 must have been.

But just remember that 09's GF loss wasn't a result of conservative coaching, but poor goalkicking. You could have a point by saying that if we had a less conservative gameplan that we would have been more attacking and got more margin for error, but maybe we would have been like the bulldogs, who knows?

I'm more worried about the limitations of the players than the coach right now to be honest.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
mcadam05
Club Player

here's a little bonus sunday footy show the day after ;)

great interview with aussie jones

saintkid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I was at that game too. My first year of going to games regularly. Not a bad way to start.

Oh well.

Thanks for the upload!

Shame "Boxhead" Heatley never really made it, he was a dead-eye but not much else in the end. Is he still coaching?

I believe a close family member tried to commit suicide.
The old man reckons it was his sister. Timing couldn't be worse by her seemed like she wanted to make her mark on him too for some reason only the Loewe family will know.

The old man reckons it was the best feeling a game gave him outside the 66 Granny. Had a good chat with North legend Doug Wade after the game, his second favourite full forward after the great Plugger.

saintkid
Club Player

spert wrote:On a sour note- I've seen us look like a premiership contender and go into 97, 09, 10 and come away with nothing each time..I'm really sick of it to be honest. While I think RL has done a great job, his unwillingness to take risks or deviate from the plan probably means we won't get a flag under him, as the GF is another ball game altogether and a lot of those systems get thrown out the window on the day...enough of my rant ..sorry guys.
My old man feels the same way. Says "Sainters only making up the numbers now in the top 8 and need to rebuild to win our next GF". He gets pretty down now because this window we had was the best one since the mid 60's era.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

That whole year was surreal for me.

Left Oz in March, went overseas till August, doing the US- 3 month road trip from LA to New York - Europe and South Africa.

Kept tabs on the Sts the whole time. Got back by Rd 22, saw the Waverley final, then back to Cairns to pack up and move to Brissie.

Watched the GF in Brissie.

For years afterwards, it blew me away that we made the GF. The greatest year of my life - our 'world tour' was as good as you could imagine - and could gave been topped off nicely with that flag.