Baker the Sub

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So when this was known......he was still made sub....

He is clearly a role player and has not got any of the assets required to be an effective sub...

Baker ...... Small back

Either
Geary, ray, gram as sub.......

Not difficult i would think...

Like to hear ross' philosiphy on the role of the sub, and how to best use them
So you want to use a better player as sub. That makes a lot of sense. I you say you know a bit about footy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He is clearly a role player and has not got any of the assets required to be an effective sub...

Baker ...... Small back

Either

So you want to use a better player as sub. That makes a lot of sense. I you say you know a bit about footy.
Who says the sub has to be the last person picked? It's about team balance. If Baker was to be picked could you think of a worse position to play him in? I can't. I don't agree about Ray or Gram as being named a sub, but why not Geary? I understand the team was thrown into disarray with the gastro bug only 15 hours before the game, but we may as well have played with 21 players for all the impact that Bakes was going to have on the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Baker ...... Small back

Either

Who says the sub has to be the last person picked? It's about team balance. If Baker was to be picked could you think of a worse position to play him in? I can't. I don't agree about Ray or Gram as being named a sub, but why not Geary? I understand the team was thrown into disarray with the gastro bug only 15 hours before the game, but we may as well have played with 21 players for all the impact that Bakes was going to have on the game.
The sub plays about a quarter baring injury. If it was a late change and the only 2 players available to play were Lynch and Baker then I think we had no choice but to have Baker as sub. If he isnt sub then he plays at least 3 quarters and Geary who has been improving weekly only plays a quarter. In this case I think our worst player had to be the sub. And you certainly wouldnt have Ray or Gram as sub as BM suggested.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree with P66, for a change

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I agree with P66, for a change
I find that P66 makes some very good points (even if I don't agree with him all the time) as long as ppl don't try and wind him up... :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am pretty sure only two extra guys ever get on a plane as emergencies.
So if two guys go down at the last minute you have to play the two guys in the plane. dont think the coach had any choice on that one.

From a bigger picture perspective I have no idea how we are going to make list mgt decisions in 8 weeks time when we have pretty much wasted the year in terms of development. What did we really learn/gain from playing Blake and Bakes in 2011?

No doubt I will get attacked from the "Rossy can do no wrong" crowd and the "we are still a chance at a flag this year" crowd.

These are the same people still telling me that getting zero for a number 2 draft pick at his peak age was a good strategy. Im still waiting to know when and how the benefits of that masterstroke will come to us.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

I'd say that with the gastro, Ross just picked the 22 least effected players out of those taken to Sydney. Baker happened to be number 22 and Ross would have preferred to keep the structure as much as possible for as long as possible so Baker had to be the sub because we needed a forward and not another small defender.