Some ordd coaching moves tonight..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Could Ross have not wanted to play exactly how he plans to in September?

Could Gamble have deserved a little kick up the bum, to make him hungrier?

Had they gone all out and executed perfectly, and lost, what then? Is Ross trying to keep their mindset focused on improvement rather than complacency?

Just questions....

IMO, Davis was always going to play well against the Saints. He probably felt he needed to. Though to be fair, not sure there has been a criticism of his August footy up until now.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Davis was the standout "unmanned" player all night - not one quarter - "all night." Who was our "free" player on the backline and what did he contribute.

If someone was playing loosely on Davis - send out the runner or change the match-up. Time and again, Davis cut off forward moves and running free, badly damaged us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Davis was the standout "unmanned" player all night - not one quarter - "all night." Who was our "free" player on the backline and what did he contribute.

If someone was playing loosely on Davis - send out the runner or change the match-up. Time and again, Davis cut off forward moves and running free, badly damaged us.
So if you (and everybody else) could see that, why do you reckon the coaching staff didn't address that situation?

What would/could have been their thinking about that?

I'm not disagreeing with the 'fact' that Davis was unmanned.
I just disagree with the characterization (not by you but by others) that the coaching panel were lacking/inept/idiotic or 'just plain wrong' without knowing what was the thinking behind their decisions.

If we knew that we might be able to make reasoned comments about their success/failure in this area.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Could Ross have not wanted to play exactly how he plans to in September?
Very interesting question.

It's one that I was talking to a mate about last week in relation to this game.

In previous years, with the luxury of having a top 4 spot locked in, we'd be tinkering and certainly not showing our hand to a fellow contender this late in the season.

So did we reveal our full hand last night? Was what happened last night (selection, matchups, etc.) 100% full steam, win this match at all costs?

Or was last night a win, in the form of a loss? (or something like that!)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Could Ross have not wanted to play exactly how he plans to in September?
Very interesting question.

It's one that I was talking to a mate about last week in relation to this game.

In previous years, with the luxury of having a top 4 spot locked in, we'd be tinkering and certainly not showing our hand to a fellow contender this late in the season.

So did we reveal our full hand last night? Was what happened last night (selection, matchups, etc.) 100% full steam, win this match at all costs?

Or was last night a win, in the form of a loss? (or something like that!)
I don't think he revealed everything.

For one, I fully believe Gamble will be back.

They certainly weren't exposed to the forward setup that has been functioning quite well.

He tried three guys that could play in the ruck, to see how that went, not sure on his sentiments afterwards, but personally I didn't like and would like Kosi in their more.

He locked down on a few, released some, and changed them around, probably has a good idea on which were effective.

Didn't start as well as they had been, definitely reckon they have it in them to hit the ground running more.

Their were moments in the game when guys like Clint, Joey and Peake played on and ran, and gee it looked good. Something to work with there.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Trying to consolidate 6th spot on the ladder and some tough games ahead, I don't think that Ross was concerned about "showing his hand," as it will be a herculean effort to get to the GF.

It was a "win if we can" last night and I think that the selectors and game day Coaching decisions hindered us.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure we gave it our all.

We shut down the pies to their lowest score of the season bar Geelong.

We penetrated their Defence severely, exposing them several times and significantly out performed them.

what killed us was accuracy, 1.4 v 3 straight....the last quarter 3.1 to 3.3, so after half time it was 4.7 to to 6.1.

Can anyone smarter than me tell me how many times the pies have been outscored in the second half?

We should applaud endeavour and courage and the fact we ran collingwood harder than any other team so far, bar geelong in the second half.

Note Collingwood are renowned for their second half destruction of sides.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

sainter104 wrote:from what i seen Dawson was amongst out best tonight especially last 1/4
wasn't zac moved off cloke in the last quarter?

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I applaud your optimism but really its fools gold thinking - Ross held the "smoking gun" Gamble back to not show all his cards?

Our cards ARE that we are poor for executuion under pressure. You cant "hide" that. Sure, we tag Davis........someone else will bob up for them - you cant tag them all.

Whay Ross DID do last night was see how an attacking approach against the Pies would stand up - when we went fwd fast we go through their "press" when we hit targets we looked dangerous with some slick ball movement. Problem is I reckon 5-6 goals were from direct turn overs OUCH!

I was stunned watching Dal walz fwd under no pressure and actually pick out a Pie opponent.....

We have a long way to go - forget 19 pts......they were in control all night. When that game had to won they went up a cog.

We simply have to breach the skills gap - not simple.....I know of only 1 way.....turn a few players over for others with greater skills. Not easy, but I dont believe the likes of Polo, Dempster, Jones, Blake, Gilbert, Gram(who was good but is still a kikcing liability) etc are going to magically improve their foot skills by now. IMHO if it aint in them by the time they reach seniors it aint gonna be.

Why not try Ray fwd????? can take an overhead mark FFS.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It was followed by a :?:

Just say no.

:wink:

Oh, and I agree about Faz, asked that question before

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... ght=farren

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

surely you're not saying RL did something wrong because that means you think that Riewoldt and all other senior players should be sacked and we should always play kids and have 23 Tommy Walsh's

surely you don't think like that