Question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

There's one unspeakable moment. It is tragic. 35 seconds to go.

Montagna had kicked inside 50, the ball came down to ground level. Ben Johnson couldn't gather, and tapped it into the path of Jason Blake.

If he had been able to pick it up, he may have had time to get a quick kick off.

30 or so metres would have done.

A wobbly point.

All that was needed.

Number 27.

At the City end.

But he fumbled.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stevie
Saintsational Legend

python wrote:I, like others have shut out most of the grand finals. However, the one thing I think about a lot is the kick Fisher had that Maxwell marked, resulting in a Collingwood goal... I don't know if I have completely conjured this up, but I swear I saw Kosi on his own about 70 from our goal on the other side of the ground. I swear Fisher saw him, deemed it too risky a kick (it would have been risky, but if it had got there Kosi would have put it inside 50) then kicked toward Gilbert. Again, I may have completely invented this, but I wonder what would have happened if he went to Kosi more so than the bounce.
No man, you and degruch are so right about this. I actually noticed it in the days after GF 1! Kosi is in the middle of the ground - possibly just from the bench- he waves his arm sort if forlornly, but Chips just looks downfield and roosts it, where thugwell unfortunately marks it. It's about with 4 or 5 mins left I think.
It looks like Kosi has no one near or in front of him, and maybe could've gone all the way.
Something else I've pondered about those final, frantic minutes...Lennys kick, he slams it onto his boot, a mongrel punt really, hence the bad bounce. I know he was in a hurry(!) but a split second adjustment and a straight drop punt would've hit the edge of the square and skimmed through.

But I take nothing away from the efforts...I still watch BJ's mark every 2 weeks and still get emotional...

Rosco
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:If he had been able to pick it up, he may have had time to get a quick kick off.
kicked straight into his feet by johnson. but yes, if.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

2011 Dal version and we win.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

python wrote:I, like others have shut out most of the grand finals. However, the one thing I think about a lot is the kick Fisher had that Maxwell marked, resulting in a Collingwood goal... I don't know if I have completely conjured this up, but I swear I saw Kosi on his own about 70 from our goal on the other side of the ground. I swear Fisher saw him, deemed it too risky a kick (it would have been risky, but if it had got there Kosi would have put it inside 50) then kicked toward Gilbert. Again, I may have completely invented this, but I wonder what would have happened if he went to Kosi more so than the bounce.
He probably would have run in and kicked a score but you couldn't really blame Chips for taking the option of going down the line. We needed to take next possesion or a stoppage at least but the game was red hot at that point.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I saw Kosi from the stands... way way up... just on the right angle behind fisher. It was like he glanced then instinctively went down the line.

f*** thinking about this makes to f****** down in the dumps.

All I want is one.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stfu ffs

its funny huh
i have two memories from GF one

lenny kicking to bj and taking that mark, me on my knees around filth with tears under the glasses

and lennys point that milne just couldnt get to

ffs
you pricks :(

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I remember only too well screaming so hard my head ached and I was seeing spots.

My recollection was that Gilbo's goal kind of sealed the revival. After that we seemed to dominate most of the big moments.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I saw Kosi from the stands... way way up... just on the right angle behind fisher. It was like he glanced then instinctively went down the line.

f*** thinking about this makes to f****** down in the dumps.

All I want is one.
I just saw the moment on Fox Sports. Kosi had metres in the clear, but the kick would needed to have been good. Kosi isn't quick, and take into account the time the ball would have been in the air, there were no guarantees.

We were in the lead by 5pts deep into a Grand Final. I reckon what Chips did was the percentage play.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs