Gardi gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

time will tell....

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:32 with a history of knee, ankle, hamstring problems......his body is about 50

He runs like a robot.....

If we want a 32 bloke who has played 80 games in the last 9 years to come in and make a positive impact.....

Only stifle mcevoy......

Would we drop mcevoy if he comes in???

What position would he play if we didnt drop ben???
Perhaps limit rotations off the bench, or play him as an ineffective ff

Or hurt ben's development as a ruckmen by playi g him at ff, like other clubs have done with clarke, ryder....etc
Look you may be right. But not sure that was what this thread was about was it? It was whether Gardi got through yesterday's game ok. You sound almost disappointed that he may have got through ok. It's the club's call to keep him on the list this year, and I want ALL our listed player fit and healthy. If something happens to Ben in the last part of the year, or he get's tired, I'd be happy for a fit Gardi to come in and replace him, wouldn't you?

As for his running/mobility. Reports indicate he is moving as well as he has for years. I couldn't care less if he's 42 years old. If he can contribute this year, we need him. If the coach makes the call that he doesn't fit into our structure with Ben playing, so be it.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Moods wrote:
stinger wrote:
St Chris wrote:He might have only played half a game on purpose?? It happens all the time, plays a half this week, 3 quarters next, full game the week after, then is ready for a recall after that.

He hasnt played a competive match in 9 months, at least give the guy the next 8 weeks before sending him to scrap heap.
ahh...finally a comment on gardy that i can relate to.....of course he was only going to play half a game....some on here recognise that...whilst others... :roll:
If people bothered to read the SHS this morning. I know I know The Herald Sun is a rag, blah blah blah - BUT Gardi is interviewed about his game yesterday. Reckons he only ever intended to play a half and was rapt with how he got through. Admitted that he is still a few weeks away from playing AFL, but felt NO soreness in his knees or hamstrings and he thought he moved really well.

He got changed at half time as per the plan and watched the 2nd half from the grandstand. Now if he was injured, I would have thought that he would have been receiving treatment for his supposed injuries instead of watching the game from the grandstand.......
Was it the plan?

The club doctor when questioned by the ABC boundary rider said it was soreness that forced him off.

Also Stanley was off because of hamstring problems, so Archer was carrying the ruck with back up from Blake and Walsh. I would have thought that if there was any go in him whatsoever he would have at least been on the bench to give five minute break each quarter to Archer.

Also, how disruptive would that have been to Sandy if the intention was to only play him a half? He could have done that in Sandy Reserves, after all we did that to Kosi.

He's a fighter, so no way would he admit in an interview mid-season that he was gone. He probably still thinks he can play.... good on him if he does..... but not with us next year thanks.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not disappointed.....he would be essential if ben went down....we need him to play the season out

He is now our #3 ruckman.....

Stanley is the disappointing one.......he looks lazy and dissinterested

PJ
SS Life Member

So what is the plan for our structure for the rest of this year and probably next? A really good second ruckman/forward in Ben with no genuine elite tap ruckman. All of the best structured clubs have height as well as speed. We currently have no height, very limited capacity for pack marks and Ben who is developing well in his work around the ground our only ruck option. I still see a need for 1st access to the ball at stopages and there is currently no one else.

Gardi in the team will not impede Ben's progress rather assist it. Keep Ben going as the only ruck option and you may well see him crack.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
To the top
SS Life Member

The facts are that Gardiner is a very good and experienced ruckman who has now played a half of football in 2011 because of an injury suffered in the (ultimately) penultimate match in 2010.

Apart from Gardiner, who are our ruck options?

We have the rapidly developing McEvoy whose best efforts are around the ground.

We have the lightly built and developing 200cm Stanley who still has a long way to go - which you would expect as a 20 year old. Stanley, it is noted, is again injured.

We have the pinch hitting utility player, the 197cm Koschitzke - also off no pre-season leading into 2011.

It is no secret that the recruiting of King and Gardiner turned our fortunes.

People talk up Blake, Walsh and Archer as ruck options.

They are not - and never will be.

So, absent the recruiting of an experienced ruckman in the lead up to 2012, I would hope that Gardiner re-habilitates and commits to the club for 2012 - and that Stanley takes huge strides in 2012.

Otherwise we are left with McEvoy.

No doubt we can look to ruck the 32 year old Milne in 2012 in case of need.

If it comes down to which 32 year old is presenting as most vital to our 2012 season, I would put Gardiner over Milne as Milne will hopefully be having the likes of Cripps and Ledger putting pressure on him for a place in our team.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will say it again

No team can carry two

One position only ruckman.......your number two, must be able to play another position..... Ben is a ruck who can go fwd

We need a fwd....who can go into the ruck

Why has ben improved, did he all of a sudden get better.....or just greater opportunity

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Will say it again

No team can carry two

One position only ruckman.......your number two, must be able to play another position..... Ben is a ruck who can go fwd

Why has ben improved, did he all of a sudden get better.....or just greater opportunity
Agree on it helping Ben's development.

But if say Ben goes down with an injury in week one of the finals, what are you going to do if you have not gotten Gardi up and ready?

As for a ruck forward. Kosi is ok-ish, but not good enough.

Stanley was being groomed, but is having a year from hell.
Archer is more forward than ruck.

Walsh shows some promise. Still raw, but I hope he gets a senior game soon.

Expect the saints to have a look come trade week.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Will say it again

No team can carry two

We did hear you the first time.
We need a decent tap ruck NOW, we need clearances, look how better we were today. Nothing to do with us unfortunately, they are just the worst clearance side in the league.
Ben is improving and can be carried in the forward line as a 2nd ruck IMO.