Gardiner set to return...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:If he can give the mids first use, it's the missing link...Gardiner and Ben would make a great combo, McEvoy is as agile as a Leigh Brown or Ryder type, and as damaging around the ground.
Must say I dont think it will work with only 3 on the bench. ben is a natural ruckman but will have to play forward to much as MG really cant play forward. Doesnt seem like the right idea for me. I think MG should be given a game to say goodbye and that is it.
What would your preferred option be to backup Ben then, Blake or Kosi?
Either. The second ruckman is just about finished but at least those 2 can play in another position, MG cant.
MG is no less of a forward than Jolly is...

I love the bloke and think (hope) he has one last shot at it...

Both he and Jolly are pretty much useless if not in the ruck... In that, they can both be damaging floating forward, but not set there...

So Ben has to play the Leigh Brown role...

This is harder to digest, as Brown is more athletic, but Ben is better in the rucking role... However, as long as Roo remains the focal point forward, Ben could succeed pinch hitting as a big target down there...

Ruckmen fail when they are plonked forward and expected to play the role a natural FF/CHF does... Cannot work...

Can't see a place for Kosi tho with Gardi and Ben also in there... Blake only down back for mine...

FWIW, I think for us to be successful, Roo must start and stay deeper forward, having more shots on goal, and getting in more dangerous positions...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Didnt West Coast try playing Gards at full forward? I dont think it was too succesful. Nothing wrong with say playing Sipposs or Walsh at FF with Gards beside them, to have the odd run in the ruck. In Sipposs's case. I am sure his confidence would be built up with the big fella beside him. And the backs wouldnt knock him around too much either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Didnt West Coast try playing Gards at full forward? I dont think it was too succesful. Nothing wrong with say playing Sipposs or Walsh at FF with Gards beside them, to have the odd run in the ruck. In Sipposs's case. I am sure his confidence would be built up with the big fella beside him. And the backs wouldnt knock him around too much either.
So where do Rooy and Kosi play?

PJ
SS Life Member

Well if kosi isn't playing as a mobile ruck/forward then there's no place for him in the team because he aint a FF.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Nick

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Didnt West Coast try playing Gards at full forward? I dont think it was too succesful. Nothing wrong with say playing Sipposs or Walsh at FF with Gards beside them, to have the odd run in the ruck. In Sipposs's case. I am sure his confidence would be built up with the big fella beside him. And the backs wouldnt knock him around too much either.
Rooey plays deep in the goal square, Kosi plays for the rubbish tip 3rds.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dont need gardiner.....whilst ben is fit

Cannot carry two out and out ruckman in a 22....

Kosi, stanley......can play fwd...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dont need gardiner.....whilst ben is fit

Cannot carry two out and out ruckman in a 22....

Kosi, stanley......can play fwd...
Agree again. Going to the psychologist in a few minutes.