Hallelujah

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
markp wrote:Apart from the obvious, what's the defendants relationship with collingwood... and is it a coincidence that David Galbally QC is representing him?
Friend of Beams. Played at Southport together.
I though Galbally was a fair bit older than that :shock: :wink:
gal bally didn't play, he just hung around the change rooms chewing a match.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Leo.J
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:
Thinline wrote:Lots of assuming going on here. The same kind of assuming that now sees Milney dumped on every week. I think most of us appreciate there's an imbalance in reportage depending on who's being accused either expressly or implicitly, but personally I don't think it really adds anything by stooping to the level of agenda-setting grubs elsewhere.
What's not assumption, Thinline, is the response made by a 'close friend" of the girl to a question put by Galbally in court. He answered affirmatively when asked if the girl had alleged she was raped.

'In cross-examining a close friend of the alleged victim, defence lawyer David Galbally, QC, said the woman had told him Dayne Beams and another man named Myles were on either side of her in the bedroom.

Mr Galbally: "She was telling you she had sex against her will - she was effectively raped by them."

Male friend: "Yes." '

The proceedings then moved on to implicate McCarthy.

Now somewhere between that exchange between the girl and her male friend and the court proceedings yesterday, the charges laid have excluded what was originally alleged to have happened in that room. The charges all pertain to subsequent events in a laneway outside the premises.

Buddha only knows what has taken place since. Allegations withdrawn, insufficient evidence, a traumatised victim unwilling or unable to stand alone against high profile perpetrators - who knows?

This much I do know. The Australian ran the story on their website on the Monday morning after the GF. In that story they quoted police sources as saying the girl was very credible and significant forensic evidence supporting her allegations had been gathered from a hospital examination carried out on the Sunday. I read the story on The Australian website within a couple of hours of it being posted.

From memory, The Australian website report was taken down within 24 hours. I don't believe it survived to the next print version.

Within 2 days Kerri-Anne Kennerley had that grub Everitt on her Morning Show. They indulged in what can only be described as one of the most tasteless, revolting pieces of television seen on Australian TV since the valves first started to accept current 55 odd years ago. It was a vicious assault on any woman who dared allege she'd been raped after going home with someone (never mind the allegations were of being raped by people she didn't go home with) and was clearly linked to the allegations put on The Australian website a day or 2 earlier. Kennerley used words like 'strays' and Everitt spoke complete and utter shyte the whole time, even trying to make it all sound soooo humorous.

Channel 9 disabled their website communications and their phones stopped working. I know - I tried to get through when I read quotes from the show a couple of hours later.

The Morning Show is on Channel 9, I believe. One of the Channel 9 long time 'personalities' is one E. Maguire, who also had, and still has, a radio gig on MMM. When some fella named Mitchell on a rival radio station named the 2 AFL footballers alleged to have participated in the sexual assault of the girl, E.Maguire launched an absolute tirade against Mitchell's standards and ethics.

That was all it took. There were no cameras following Beams and McCarthy around. They weren't filmed or asked for quotes when they attended interviews (crikey, maybe the coppers didn't even let the media know when they were coming in). I don't recall Milne and Montagna receiving the same consideration a few years earlier. They were positively ubiquitous.

Part 2 of the strategy to bury the whole matter involved various pieces of information coming out in various media outlets about a certain school pupil, and her involvement with some players from another AFL club. So effective was it, that the police had to investigate, again. All that was reported. When that lost momentum, the allegations against Milne and Montagna were dug up again, with reports of less than gruntled former coppers suggesting there had been a cover up, and parties related to this footy club had been involved.

Now, as I recall, it was one Tony Jones who broke this 'sensational' story. As I understand it, he works for Channel 9. I also believe he is a supporter of the same football club as the 2 players alleged to have been involved in the events leading up to the court proceedings currently under discussion.

The coach of that same side somehow seemed to escape reasonable accountability for an onfield event earlier last year linked to the same story rekindled on 9 later last year.

Both those media meltdowns occupied months of commentary immediately after the post GF allegations were made by girl involved in the current court matter.

I don't have a victim mentality. Nor do I believe too many conspiracy theories. But, as a wise man once said, if you think someone is out to get you, they probably are. Even more, I do believe in orchestrated media campaigns designed to distract and deflect.

And, maybe, just maybe, the poor girl involved in this latest sad court matter had to weigh up the probability of succeeding in taking on powerful influences against the consequences of being held in the spotlight for eternity. She wouldn't be the first to heed advice designed to provide her with how deep the downside could be.

On the other hand, I hope the DPP is running a Purana style negotiation with the fella before the court - as in, 'have we got a deal for you'. Quandary for Galbally, perhaps?
I couldn't have said it better myself.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Thinline wrote:Lots of assuming going on here. The same kind of assuming that now sees Milney dumped on every week. I think most of us appreciate there's an imbalance in reportage depending on who's being accused either expressly or implicitly, but personally I don't think it really adds anything by stooping to the level of agenda-setting grubs elsewhere.
What's not assumption, Thinline, is the response made by a 'close friend" of the girl to a question put by Galbally in court. He answered affirmatively when asked if the girl had alleged she was raped.

'In cross-examining a close friend of the alleged victim, defence lawyer David Galbally, QC, said the woman had told him Dayne Beams and another man named Myles were on either side of her in the bedroom.

Mr Galbally: "She was telling you she had sex against her will - she was effectively raped by them."

Male friend: "Yes." '

The proceedings then moved on to implicate McCarthy.

Now somewhere between that exchange between the girl and her male friend and the court proceedings yesterday, the charges laid have excluded what was originally alleged to have happened in that room. The charges all pertain to subsequent events in a laneway outside the premises.

Buddha only knows what has taken place since. Allegations withdrawn, insufficient evidence, a traumatised victim unwilling or unable to stand alone against high profile perpetrators - who knows?

This much I do know. The Australian ran the story on their website on the Monday morning after the GF. In that story they quoted police sources as saying the girl was very credible and significant forensic evidence supporting her allegations had been gathered from a hospital examination carried out on the Sunday. I read the story on The Australian website within a couple of hours of it being posted.

From memory, The Australian website report was taken down within 24 hours. I don't believe it survived to the next print version.

Within 2 days Kerri-Anne Kennerley had that grub Everitt on her Morning Show. They indulged in what can only be described as one of the most tasteless, revolting pieces of television seen on Australian TV since the valves first started to accept current 55 odd years ago. It was a vicious assault on any woman who dared allege she'd been raped after going home with someone (never mind the allegations were of being raped by people she didn't go home with) and was clearly linked to the allegations put on The Australian website a day or 2 earlier. Kennerley used words like 'strays' and Everitt spoke complete and utter shyte the whole time, even trying to make it all sound soooo humorous.

Channel 9 disabled their website communications and their phones stopped working. I know - I tried to get through when I read quotes from the show a couple of hours later.

The Morning Show is on Channel 9, I believe. One of the Channel 9 long time 'personalities' is one E. Maguire, who also had, and still has, a radio gig on MMM. When some fella named Mitchell on a rival radio station named the 2 AFL footballers alleged to have participated in the sexual assault of the girl, E.Maguire launched an absolute tirade against Mitchell's standards and ethics.

That was all it took. There were no cameras following Beams and McCarthy around. They weren't filmed or asked for quotes when they attended interviews (crikey, maybe the coppers didn't even let the media know when they were coming in). I don't recall Milne and Montagna receiving the same consideration a few years earlier. They were positively ubiquitous.

Part 2 of the strategy to bury the whole matter involved various pieces of information coming out in various media outlets about a certain school pupil, and her involvement with some players from another AFL club. So effective was it, that the police had to investigate, again. All that was reported. When that lost momentum, the allegations against Milne and Montagna were dug up again, with reports of less than gruntled former coppers suggesting there had been a cover up, and parties related to this footy club had been involved.

Now, as I recall, it was one Tony Jones who broke this 'sensational' story. As I understand it, he works for Channel 9. I also believe he is a supporter of the same football club as the 2 players alleged to have been involved in the events leading up to the court proceedings currently under discussion.

The coach of that same side somehow seemed to escape reasonable accountability for an onfield event earlier last year linked to the same story rekindled on 9 later last year.

Both those media meltdowns occupied months of commentary immediately after the post GF allegations were made by girl involved in the current court matter.

I don't have a victim mentality. Nor do I believe too many conspiracy theories. But, as a wise man once said, if you think someone is out to get you, they probably are. Even more, I do believe in orchestrated media campaigns designed to distract and deflect.

And, maybe, just maybe, the poor girl involved in this latest sad court matter had to weigh up the probability of succeeding in taking on powerful influences against the consequences of being held in the spotlight for eternity. She wouldn't be the first to heed advice designed to provide her with how deep the downside could be.

On the other hand, I hope the DPP is running a Purana style negotiation with the fella before the court - as in, 'have we got a deal for you'. Quandary for Galbally, perhaps?
Interesting that it's not a front page story when it's about collingwood rape allegations.

HS Executive Editor allan howe unwittingly shed some light on this with a couple of quotes last year....
At Collingwood, we'd like - and certainly deserve - many of the premiership cups and flags that adorn the rooms of other, inferior, teams in the AFL.
No team in the history of sport has been so cruelly denied success like Collingwood.
God knows that lesser teams - and at last count there were 15 of those - would have been broken years ago had He similarly played with their fortunes
Of course that doesn't mean that he is biased.... :shock:

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It is on the HS website

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Yes and even made page 7 in the print edition.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Not that I care if there is any inbalance, but not sure why some are claiming that anyway? Pictures of the players in Collingwood jumpers, Collingwood logo, words that I'm sure Collingwood FC would find unsavoury attached to the headline.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

I just don't get the thought process that our club copped it, so I hope another team does?
I do.

It's been sickengly unbearable listening to the s*** piled on the Saints over the past 7 years - especially the last 12 months.
And Collingwood have been right in the thick of it.

I hope their whole disgusting club gets dragged through the mud and their loser supporters get their disgusting smug, deluded grins off their faces in regards to their club's standing in society.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Moods wrote:
And another thing - surely pies supporters won't be so holier than though about Steven Milne anymore. Of course they won't :roll: Almost identical situation.
Actually, the so-called facts (at least as I understand both situations - happy to be well and truly struck down here) are markedly different. As I understand things, the earlier incident involved the very late withdrawal of consent with hindsight influenced to a significant degree by parental pressure. The present situation borders on indirect and/or direct participation in an offence despite an allegation of absence of consent. Among other things this speaks of knowledge of the perpetration a serious crime which raises an 'accessory after the fact' type relationship. This is all based on the 'facts' as reported, that is. But as we well know, reported truth is a brittle beast.
By situation, I was referring to the fact that both incidents were investigated, and both were found not enough evidence to be charged. From what I have heard, Beames involvement, whilst morally questionable, he did nothing wrong legally.

The other thing I find staggering about all this - is what the hell is Beames even doing at the house the night they won a flag? Why isn't he out celebrating with his mates? There are 364 other nights of the year to meet girls - surely that's one night to just kick back with your mates from the footy club and enjoy their company. I find that part as staggering as anything.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Good get on the HS Executive Editor, Satchmo.

Bit tough suggesting someone from the Murdoch empire might be a bit light on journalistic ethics though :roll:

And, Sainter K, I reckon Satchy might have been referring to how long it took to get on the HS front page.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Not that I care if there is any inbalance, but not sure why some are claiming that anyway? Pictures of the players in Collingwood jumpers, Collingwood logo, words that I'm sure Collingwood FC would find unsavoury attached to the headline.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

I just don't get the thought process that our club copped it, so I hope another team does?
I do.

It's been sickengly unbearable listening to the s*** piled on the Saints over the past 7 years - especially the last 12 months.
And Collingwood have been right in the thick of it.

I hope their whole disgusting club gets dragged through the mud and their loser supporters get their disgusting smug, deluded grins off their faces in regards to their club's standing in society.
Whatever floats your boat.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:...HS Executive Editor allan howe unwittingly shed some light on this with a couple of quotes last year....
At Collingwood, we'd like - and certainly deserve - many of the premiership cups and flags that adorn the rooms of other, inferior, teams in the AFL.
No team in the history of sport has been so cruelly denied success like Collingwood.
God knows that lesser teams - and at last count there were 15 of those - would have been broken years ago had He similarly played with their fortunes
Of course that doesn't mean that he is biased.... :shock:
Thats GOLD Jerry

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Moods wrote:
And another thing - surely pies supporters won't be so holier than though about Steven Milne anymore. Of course they won't :roll: Almost identical situation.
Actually, the so-called facts (at least as I understand both situations - happy to be well and truly struck down here) are markedly different. As I understand things, the earlier incident involved the very late withdrawal of consent with hindsight influenced to a significant degree by parental pressure. The present situation borders on indirect and/or direct participation in an offence despite an allegation of absence of consent. Among other things this speaks of knowledge of the perpetration a serious crime which raises an 'accessory after the fact' type relationship. This is all based on the 'facts' as reported, that is. But as we well know, reported truth is a brittle beast.
By situation, I was referring to the fact that both incidents were investigated, and both were found not enough evidence to be charged. From what I have heard, Beames involvement, whilst morally questionable, he did nothing wrong legally.

The other thing I find staggering about all this - is what the hell is Beames even doing at the house the night they won a flag? Why isn't he out celebrating with his mates? There are 364 other nights of the year to meet girls - surely that's one night to just kick back with your mates from the footy club and enjoy their company. I find that part as staggering as anything.
You haven't been listening!!!

Beames was at the Eve Nightclub, together with the flatmate of McCarthy and this victim.
Beames was partying with his teammates and assorted others.

Part of the group was his 'date' for the night - a 17 year old girl who somehow managed to be allowed into an 18+ venue.

Beames apparently left Eve with the 'group' and proceeded to the townhouse where the alleged events took place.

In a totally unrelated matter, as reported in the media at the time, the following day an un-named 17 year old girl made allegations of sexual abuse against an un-named male.

Amazingly during all the months of naming/shaming/humiliating St Kilda players very little mention was made by the media about a 'long term relationship' between a 17 year old girl and a Collingwood footballer recruited from Qld and who is heavily tatooed.

In another seemingly unrelated co-incidence there were some tweets from a 17 year old girl calling a Collingwood footballer recruited from Qld and heavily tatooed some very unflattering names and intimating that he was guilty of some anti-socail behaviour towards her.

Are you getting the linkage here?

I can tell you that there are people down in Seaford still shaking their heads as to how/why this well known fact (the long term relationship) hardly ever gets mentioned by/in the media?

But on the other hand, history tells us that some 17 year old girls aren't particularly truthful on occasions so who would actually know what did/didn't transpire?

Maybe Moods is 'on the money' here about the influence of some people here in Melbourne?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Did I mention that the victim is someones Daughter.

FFS. How can this make anybody gloat or feel like it is some type of revenge.

This thread makes me sick and ashamed to be a football fan.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Did I mention that the victim is someones Daughter.

I don't think anyone would gloat about the alledged incident happening.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

You did mention that, and from what I can read most people are aware of that and want justice for her.

The big issue here is that they (the media) are happy to run with alot of rumour as if its fact, then when a real issue comes up they go cold on it through fear.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Amazingly during all the months of naming/shaming/humiliating St Kilda players very little mention was made by the media about a 'long term relationship' between a 17 year old girl and a Collingwood footballer recruited from Qld and who is heavily tatooed.
According to the HS, both the player and the club declined to be identified.
I'm not convinced that this option was provided to our club and players.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

ummm. there are posts in this thread that are doing just that.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Where might they be?

People seem to be pleased that the people involved in this case despite being Collingwood players are being named in the media, not happy about what they've been alledged to have done.

What has been printed is what has been said in a court of law, not concocted by some tabloid creative writer, at the expense of our clubs brand.

These two things are a little different.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Where might they be?

People seem to be pleased that the people involved in this case despite being Collingwood players are being named in the media, not happy about what they've been alledged to have done.

What has been printed is what has been said in a court of law, not concocted by some tabloid creative writer, at the expense of our clubs brand.

These two things are a little different.
The collingwood players havent done anything wrong though.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

And, where's Derryn? Just checked his website. 'Nothing to say, Your Honour.'

As you said, Leo, happy to run on rumours. The prick even had the gall to try and heighten a sense of anticipation about an impending release of compromising (non-existent) photo about Nick a few months ago.

Yet, what's he had to say about the serious matter currently before the courts (and the chargee was committed for trial this morning in the MMC)? Nothing, nada, ziltch, a globe, blanketyblank.

Good ol' fearless Hinch. A bloated toerag, if ever there was one.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Where? I've not read any. I reckon you're seeing what you want to see. Not sure what anyone would have to gloat about b/c Beames has been cleared of any wrongdoing (legally). People merely pointing out that despite him being cleared does that give others the right to label him a rapist anyway as per Milne's situation.

I have not read one post that degrades or dehumanises the victim in this. Stop over dramatising everything.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

There's not a lot (any?) of that...most of this thread is very well expressed and bang on the money. This is all about corruption and the media, how it effects the game and the club we love, and how digusting it all is. It's horrible for the victim, but given the circumstances, this should be front page news regardless of what club it is or who is involved.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

There's not a lot (any?) of that...most of this thread is very well expressed and bang on the money. This is all about corruption and the media, how it effects the game and the club we love, and how digusting it all is. It's horrible for the victim, but given the circumstances, this should be front page news regardless of what club it is or who is involved.
I would have thought as saints supporters after all the crap we have been through and then argued how wrong the media are that this actually shouldnt be news at all.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I would have thought as saints supporters after all the crap we have been through and then argued how wrong the media are that this actually shouldnt be news at all.
...but it's completely the opposite. The Saints were recently exposed to a KD and the media engaging in some tumblr-esque gossip session, none of which was illegal - a far cry from what we're talking about here. Lovett, no competition. MM? Got a lot of media attention, as should this case, due to alleged cover-ups and compromises.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

The difference is that this is actually happening (the court case), as compared to most of what has been alledged against us did not happen, or was made up....

So 'no' you thought wrong

saint tash
Club Player

Don't forget we have a trial coming up later in the year whereby some of ours will be called as witnesses.

Not a nice distraction all the same.

Different circumstances admittedly.

Still a guy that never played a game for us drags our names thru the mud. :evil:

Oh when the saints go charging in!